PDA

View Full Version : Fuck your "global warming"

MidnightViper88
14th February 2007, 22:33
Goddammit...It rained early last night, where the temperatures dropped down almost to the single digits by late last night to early this morning...I woke up this morning, my ass frozen off, hoping to only worry about frozen locks...I get out, and sure enough my locks were frozen, but that was no big deal, as I easily got them deiced with some hairspray...My real fucking problem came when I flooded my engine, trying to start the damn thing, since it had trouble turning over in the below-freezing weather...I've been having fuel injector problems (Been meaning to dump a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank sometime this week) that could account for my troubles, but that's only half my problem, and cold weather doesn't seem to help either...

Fuckin' A, people...Talk about "global warming" when I'm a little less pissy standing out in the freezing cold, and when I'm sweating my ass off in hot weather...Times like this, I could really go for some global warming, since I absolutly HATE Kentucky winters...

...especially when cold weather cramps my style...I mean, my dad's Air Force coat is really warm and I like the way it looks, but I do begin to get self-conscious when I wear enough layers of thick clothing that could pass as a pressure suit... :rolleyes:

...oh, and here I thought winter wouldn't come with a 50-degree January... :rolleyes:

Wildrose-Wally
15th February 2007, 00:24
Sissy

mikm
15th February 2007, 01:06
Originally posted by Wildrose-Wally
Sissy

ElChevelle
15th February 2007, 01:07
Sissy

skryingbreath
15th February 2007, 02:28
Huh, I turned off the heater today.

LuigiHann
15th February 2007, 02:33
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
Fuckin' A, people...Talk about "global warming" when I'm a little less pissy standing out in the freezing cold, and when I'm sweating my ass off in hot weather...Times like this, I could really go for some global warming, since I absolutly HATE Kentucky winters...

I don't know about Kentucky, but over here in New England it was freaking summertime all the way through December. Seemed global warming-ish to me.

sgtfuzzbubble011
15th February 2007, 03:11
Oh yeah? I have to WORK OUT IN THIS SHIT. It rained yesterday while I was half a mile back in the woods drilling fucking holes in the side of a hill, in the mud, tripping over tree stumps and vines, manhandling heavy-ass drilling tools. And today, IT STARTED FUCKING SNOWING. We left the shop this morning, and it was 40f. We drove SOUTH, and by the time we got to the jobsite, it was 28f. 28 FUCKING DEGREES. There were NO TREES ANYWHERE ON THIS SITE, and the wind chill was just above ZERO. Keep in mind that this is the middle of Georgia. It wasn't supposed to be this cold, so I didn't pack any cold-weather gear. I froze my ass off today. It's supposed to be almost as cold tomorrow, too...

Btw, how can you flood a fuel-injected engine? :P

shakey_snake
15th February 2007, 03:32
18 inches of snow Yesterday, followed by freezing rain, 12 more inches of snow today. High of 20F. Wind chill advisory both days.

Oh yeah, I walked to work today, too.

MidnightViper88
15th February 2007, 22:27
Sissy

Oh, sure, a Canadian can say that, since 32F probably sounds damn warm to you... :p

sarge - I don't know how that happened...My car started to backfire when I tried to start it up yesterday as well...I popped the hood soon after that and my engine was and still is a SOHC EFI engine...

Maybe I can blame that on Al Gore too... :p

Oh, and as a side note, I wish our weathermen would stop calling these flurries snow...It's not snow if it doesn't stick to the ground...The weathermen are only making the salt truck drivers nervous, and God help Louisville if our streets are covered with 6 inches of salt before a single snowflake can stick... :rolleyes:

fc*uk
17th February 2007, 17:20
actually, there is no global warming at all. This is all a media lie.

Before any of you flame me ...

There is a global temperature shift. Cold places are getting warmer, yes and this is why idiots call it global warming. What they are not looking at is warm places are getting colder. Look at what srage said about Georgia; fucking 28 --- there? India is a good 5-8 degrees C cooler than it normally is too....

The currents in the ocean are changing as well. This is what is causing all of these temperature shifts...

This is what has caused the spikes in hurricanes and the strength of the hurricanes state side as well. Ocean gets a few degrees colder and it just fuels them even more...

J.Melo
17th February 2007, 18:57
Oh, sure, a Canadian can say that, since 32F probably sounds damn warm to you... :p

Obviously, 32F is damn COLD to anybody in canada, unless they're one of the few 10,000's that live in the arctic.
I live in southern Ontario. wakiest weather lately. Normaly it gets to 40C - 45C in the summer, and -20C - -30C in the winter ( enough to freeze your ass right off you). because it's so hot in summer and so cold in winter, nobody gets used to the weather that we have. Anything below 18C is cold enough!

mikm
17th February 2007, 19:32
I live in southern Wisconsin and 32F (assuming no windchill) is T-shirt weather for me. Even 20F (~-7C) for me is pretty warm.

Wildrose-Wally
17th February 2007, 19:37
Originally posted by J.Melo
Obviously, 32F is damn COLD to anybody in canada, unless they're one of the few 10,000's that live in the arctic.
I live in southern Ontario. wakiest weather lately. Normaly it gets to 40C - 45C in the summer, and -20C - -30C in the winter ( enough to freeze your ass right off you). because it's so hot in summer and so cold in winter, nobody gets used to the weather that we have. Anything below 18C is cold enough!

Ontario is sissies. The mayor of Toronto calls in the army to clear the snow when they get more than 2 inches.

And 32F is NOT cold.

TheElusiveMelon
18th February 2007, 00:30
Thats 0 celcius, that counts as pretty cold here in England. England is crap with snow, as soon as there is an inch of snow the whole country grinds to a halt.

swingdjted
24th February 2007, 06:54
I love snow and cold at almost any level, but sometimes a winter raine pisses me off because it gives suprise ice on the road. Working in it makes me like it more than working inside and not getting used to it, although I could see how being unprepared due to a bad forecast could make someone rather enraged and miserable.

I never knew that hairspray would thaw out a frozen lock. I'm going to have to try that some day - I usually use the heat gun for shrink wrap, but that means moving a boat or car out of the outlet-side of the garage sometimes, or getting out a long-ass extension cord. My dad used to pour coffee on a frozen lock, but that would only be a temporary fix, since the coffee then freezes, plus I dont drink hot drinks very often.

MidnightViper88
24th February 2007, 07:01
Heh...My mom told me about the hairspray thing; It probably has something to do with the alcohol content in hairspray...

gameplaya15143
3rd March 2007, 15:33
Ontario is sissies. The mayor of Toronto calls in the army to clear the snow when they get more than 2 inches. [canadian military joke]...not like they are good for much else.[/canadian military joke]

261A5050
5th March 2007, 08:27
28F? Boo hoo. Try -30C (-22F).

Also, "global temperature shift" is bullshit. Watch the movie An Inconvenient Truth. This right here (http://board.acmlm.org/archive3/thread.php?pid=190760) demonstrates the difference between "global temperature shift" and global warming. Temperature does go up and down over time, but in the past 650,000 years it has never blasted off to the moon like it's doing now.

Oh fuck you URL filter. http colon slash slash board.acmlm.org/archive3/thread.php?pid=190760

FKTHEDERT
13th November 2008, 00:56
Goddammit...It rained early last night, where the temperatures dropped down almost to the single digits by late last night to early this morning...I woke up this morning, my ass frozen off, hoping to only worry about frozen locks...I get out, and sure enough my locks were frozen, but that was no big deal, as I easily got them deiced with some hairspray...My real fucking problem came when I flooded my engine, trying to start the damn thing, since it had trouble turning over in the below-freezing weather...I've been having fuel injector problems (Been meaning to dump a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank sometime this week) that could account for my troubles, but that's only half my problem, and cold weather doesn't seem to help either...

...especially when cold weather cramps my style...I mean, my dad's Air Force coat is really warm and I like the way it looks, but I do begin to get self-conscious when I wear enough layers of thick clothing that could pass as a pressure suit... :rolleyes:

...oh, and here I thought winter wouldn't come with a 50-degree January... :rolleyes: Come out to this fuckin piece of shit Arizona Hellhole. This fuckin place just keeps getting hotter a fuckin 93 degree average for October. FUCK THAT. This cock sucker was 87 today. We sweat our balls of from Mid March til fuckin December now. WE HAVE FUCKING WARMING HERE MOTHER FUCKER!!!

FKTHEDERT
13th November 2008, 01:03
All you FUCK HEADS that think Global Warming is BS need to spend 2 years in this cock sucking, Hell hole, Fucking Arizona Desert. Im stuck in this shit hole cause its TOOO FUCKIN HOT to work more than 5 hours a day.

Every fuckin year the 90+ temps start eariler and end later. How about 115 fuckin days with 95+ temps. ALL YOU PUSSY BASTARDS CAN SUCK MY SWEATY SUNBURNED COCK.

swingdjted
13th November 2008, 02:23
Originally posted by FKTHEDERT
Blah blah FUCK HEADS yadda yadda jibber jabber BS verbal vomit cock sucking, Hell hole, Fucking blah. Yadda yadda shit hole dribble TOOO FUCKIN HOT ramble ramble.

Rant fuckin la la la de da da do shoo wap de da. Shoo bop 115 fuckin whine 95+ blabber blabber. ALL YOU PUSSY BASTARDS CAN SUCK MY SWEATY SUNBURNED COCK.

[^ this is what a common reader sees when you type like that - entertaining for a second but otherwise meaningless]

I do believe global warming is a problem, but that kind of post just doesn't help the cause all that much.

MidnightViper88
15th November 2008, 02:53
Yeah, that person is actually going through a heat stroke...

Best get the coffin ready

sgtfuzzbubble011
23rd November 2008, 05:20
Arizona doesn't have shit on South Mississippi. Lived there for 23.5 years. Want miserable? Go there.

As of right now, I'm living in Salt Lake City, UT. Moved here a couple weeks ago. Freezing my ass off already, and I haven't seen a single snowflake yet. :P I'm gonna con my coworker into teaching me how to snowboard this winter, though. :D

Too-DAMN-Much
23rd November 2008, 05:55
the only thing i hate about cold weather is all the fucking californians who've never seen rain before drive 20 miles below the speed limit.

oh, that and idiots who figure if a hill is tough to get up cause of snow they better back up and stand on the gas the next try, dipshits, don't drive in the tire tracks, TURN YOU'RE SHITTY MUSIC OFF, roll down the window and listen so you know if you're getting traction.

MidnightViper88
23rd November 2008, 08:42
Originally posted by Too-DAMN-Much
the only thing i hate about cold weather is all the fucking californians who've never seen rain before drive 20 miles below the speed limit.

See, the bad thing about Kentucky is that even in less-than-perfect conditions, people still drive like dumbasses and we see that stuff all the time...

swingdjted
23rd November 2008, 09:18
SARGE!

Wonderin where you've been. Anyway, we get a lot of unexpected ice patches on the road, very low temperatures, and high winds, but almost no snow yet in South Dakota.

Too-DAMN-Much
23rd November 2008, 16:14
yeah, from what my dad says in arizona the rule of thumb is "hold a magazine over your face to run a redlight, since everyone goes to court over photo red light anyway", supposedly so many people fight photo red light tickets you can get away with it pretty easy.

now that's BAD.

Pixelcraft
27th November 2008, 23:02
We just got snow today. I hate it. I'm more worried about other people driving than me. Where I live, on the shore of Lake Superior, we get major lake effect snow.

Pixelcraft
27th November 2008, 23:07
Originally posted by shakey_snake
followed by freezing rain

Freezing rain is the biggest bitch to drive in..... ever!!! It's absolutely impossible to get any traction at all! I think I'd rather drive through 4 feet of snow...

sgtfuzzbubble011
28th November 2008, 06:11
Wonderin where you've been.
Been working my ass off since I got here. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do to improve my living conditions. As it is right now, I'm staying at a KOA with the rest of my coworkers. It's cramped as hell, and I want out. Waiting for the snow to start falling in the valley... Shouldn't be long from now.

Too-DAMN-Much
28th November 2008, 22:08
you sound like a letter from a POW sarge.

and, where the hell is elchevelle?
seen him like once this year, maybe a good thing though ;)

sgtfuzzbubble011
29th November 2008, 01:23
I tried to catch up with him when I drove through Gunnison earlier this month on my way here, but he was (I found out later) in Salida that day. I probably drove right past him without knowing it. I need to give him a call soon. In fact, I might just do that here in a few minutes.

Too-DAMN-Much
29th November 2008, 03:33
tell him we miss the iron fist :up:

swingdjted
29th November 2008, 22:39
Amen. The Winamp forums are looking for it's fugitives.

Too-DAMN-Much
30th November 2008, 05:00
just don't tell him i plan on editing iron to lazy after he posts ;)

fhxz99
5th December 2008, 09:11
it's been very cold here in the northern UK too ... as low as 4C!!!

and hundreds of schools are closed due to snow and ice and people not being able to get to work!!!

QOAL
5th December 2008, 10:26
(*remembers the photos he's been shown by his mother*)

Now go back in time to, say, the 70's
The weather you're getting up north is nothing.

When you get several feet of snow and people skiing down roads, start complaining then.

MidnightViper88
5th December 2008, 18:42
You kids don't know nothin'; Why, back in the day, we had to walk 20 miles to school in the snow bare-footed!

swingdjted
5th December 2008, 22:53
4C?

That's 39 in Fahrenheit, and we were negative 5 in Fahrenheit this morning (and that's before wind chill factor is taken into consideration).

We have very little snow though, just a couple inches (maybe 10cm).

We still send the kids out for recess though, and only a couple of them complain - most love it.

sgtfuzzbubble011
8th December 2008, 00:40
It was 11f the other day when I was working up on the side of a mountain in Park City. Nice view, but damn it was cold.

Talked to Chev this morning. He told me to keep all you meat-heads inline while he's away. :D

Too-DAMN-Much
8th December 2008, 04:04
where's he gotten off to anyway? vacation or something?

swingdjted
8th December 2008, 06:28
Not sure why, but I miss having him around.

It's warmer here now, like just barely below freezing rather than far below freezing.

It's funny how I can feel warm at just below freezing. It's the difference between a heavy parka and a light jacket.

sgtfuzzbubble011
9th December 2008, 04:24
This (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.662996,-111.565175&spn=0.018197,0.040684&t=p&z=15) is where I was working today (and most of this past week). It snowed about 4 or 5 inches today, and visibility was down to well less than a thousand feet. Ambient temperature was ~25f, and the wind chill was close to 0f. When we finished and drove back down off of the mountain, I found about 2 inches of snow on my truck. That's the first time it's snowed down in the valley since I've been here. Quarter-sized snowflakes. It was actually quite pretty.

swingdjted
9th December 2008, 08:09
I miss mountains and trees. We just have a flat ocean of grass with a thin coat of snow and lots of wind.

moktoman
14th December 2008, 23:57
Any moderately educated individual should know that global warming is a reality, but it IS NOT caused by humans.

If you do your homework you realize that "carbon footprints" and all that other garbage Al Gore tried to shove down peoples' throats is just a huge media hype to make him money and cover up the fact that he's just an attention whore.

Yes, the climate IS changing, and yes, it IS getting warmer, but climatologists have proven with HARD FACTS that the climate has been going up and down for centuries, with no correlation to human activity whatsoever.

Global Warming is a media hype like the killer bee scare or the bird flu scare, which the media uses to scare the public into watching more news shows to see "the latest" on these "epidemics".

Reminds me of a t-shirt I saw once. It said:

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

This global warming cult is one of those groups.

'Nuff said.

MidnightViper88
15th December 2008, 00:40
I tell you what, 40s and 50s for the highs in Kentucky in December is a little weird, but I sure could go for a little warming right about now...It'd be better if it could snow, but it's pointless when it's cold and rainy...If I wanted cold and rainy, I'd have myself move to where the sun doesn't shine: Seattle, Washington...

moktoman
15th December 2008, 07:32
Yeah, the gloomy cloudy weather is a bummer at times. I used to like it, but now I like that nice Spring weather that is high 70s or low 80s with sunny skies.

MidnightViper88
15th December 2008, 18:36
And holy shit, how about this fucking cold front that's blowing through the Midwest? I live here in Louisville, KY and I stepped outside last night and while it was windy, it was a good t-shirt 56 degrees, and then the front came over after midnight and it's been dropping ever since...56 was the high last night at midnight, it's 34 right now 1:30pm, and it's gonna be in the mid-20s by nightfall again...Tomorrow's high is going to be the same as tomorrow night's low; 31/30...

Oh, and did I mention the freezing rain? :rolleyes:

swingdjted
16th December 2008, 03:30
Midwest is where I am.

-13 Fahrenheit without wind chill when the sun is up,
-40 Fahrenheit with wind chill factor during gusts

During the first 5 minutes of driving,
Tires have very low pressure.
Battery turns over engine slowly (luckily it still started).
Power steering is almost completely manual steering.
Brakes are more or less manual brakes.
Transmissions are sluggish to shift.

I still haven't pumped up my tires yet - went to work today with all 4 rather low.

We're scheduled to be colder tonight and tomorrow. I haven't been doing much outside, so it hasn't really affected me all that much. However, when we get our heating bill we'll know...

sgtfuzzbubble011
17th December 2008, 03:01
Now THAT'S cold. o_o

For the past couple weeks, it's been snowing on and off here. Snowed some today, in fact. The low temperature tonight is supposed to be 17f. Tomorrow is supposed to get up to a high of 24f, and tomorrow night is supposed to get down to 13f. That's quite cold enough for me.

I just talked to my dad on the phone about 20 minutes ago. He said that it's around 65f, extremely humid, and very foggy right now in south MS. Quite a difference from the 18f and snow we have in Salt Lake City at the moment.

swingdjted
18th December 2008, 05:12
It's up to about 0-5 above at night and 18 during the day now.

When it was really cold the other day, the neighbor was showing me something rather entertaining - he could spray a hose out his basement door pointed mostly upward and create a pile of wet ice pellets about 30 feet away. The cold and wind freezes the water before it hits the ground.

Funny thing is, we have almost no snow - only about an inch or two - just really cold wind.

MidnightViper88
18th December 2008, 09:22
I hate it when it gets cold because my hands go numb and I star fidgeting around like an old person, not being able to fully hold onto something and always dropping shit...

...which really isn't helping me tear apart my interior so I can change a heater core in 30-something degree weather...

OH POETRY

swingdjted
19th December 2008, 05:33
Part of my job is teaching keyboarding/typing. My first early morning class has noticeably lower average speeds compared to the two later classes. I'm guessing that the weather might have something to do with it, since they just came in from the cold. The fact that they might not have woken up yet might be a factor too though.

MidnightViper88
19th December 2008, 07:34
I couldn't type for shit in my Into to Computers class this semester (Stupid easy yet required; I wish there was a test we could take to prove we didn't need to waste time and tuition money on it)...Conveniently, it was an 8-week class in the second half of the fall semester from October to December and mine was a 9:10 class...

Being out early and walking outside from the parking lot to the campus building for about 5-10 minutes in the cold? Yeah, it didn't help my fingers at all whether I had them stuffed in my pocket or covered with gloves...It would sometimes take me a second or third try to log in, since I would accidentally misspell my user name or password since my fingers were both stiff and insensitive to the touch...

I get myself back to normal as class rolls along and I'm warmed up, but otherwise on average, it's still below my normal effort ability...

sgtfuzzbubble011
20th December 2008, 00:48
2-foot long icicles. 10+ inches of snow in areas. Giant snowplows riding 4-wide on the freeway. High temperatures around 23f with windchills around 0f. Snowflakes the size of 50-cent pieces with visibility less than 100 feet.

I'll probably be taking the bus downtown to get a beer tonight because my truck is going to stay right where it's parked with its bed full of snow.

swingdjted
20th December 2008, 06:39
I'm in 57580 zip code:

originally posted by weather.com
Tonight:
Bitterly cold. Cloudy and windy. Dangerous wind chills approaching -35F. Low -12F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph.
Tomorrow:
Windy. Mostly cloudy skies will become partly cloudy in the afternoon. Very cold. Dangerous wind chills as low as -40F. High 3F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph.

Typing is taught in 3rd & 4th grade (two half hours a week) during computer class for a semester. Speed averages currently fall between 12 and 44 words per minute, depending on the student. During that early class when their faces are still red from the cold, no one has even come close to 20 yet.

MidnightViper88
20th December 2008, 07:01
And holy shit, how about this fucking cold front that's blowing through the Midwest? I live here in Louisville, KY and I stepped outside last night and while it was windy, it was a good t-shirt 56 degrees, and then the front came over after midnight and it's been dropping ever since...56 was the high last night at midnight, it's 34 right now 1:30pm, and it's gonna be in the mid-20s by nightfall again...Tomorrow's high is going to be the same as tomorrow night's low; 31/30...

Oh, and did I mention the freezing rain? :rolleyes:

OK, so when did I post this...The 15th? Monday then...

Tuesday and Wednesday, rain, freezing rain, some snow, more ice though...Thursday, still cold as fuck below 40, but at least it was dry...Today, it was windy as hell but it got up to 60, almost 70...Tonight it will drop back down into below 40, and tomorrow will be in the 30s and 40s with some more wet stuff...

What the fuck...The Ohio Valley really makes for unpredictable and illogical shit...

swingdjted
20th December 2008, 07:20
Speaking of Ohio, the last district I worked at (Akron Public Schools) canceled today for bad weather.

Wildrose-Wally
20th December 2008, 15:57
Weather Forecast: Lethbridge, Alberta
Weather Warning: Wind chill warning for Lethbridge-Taber-Milk River »
Current Weather Updated: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 8:00 MST - Lethbridge Airport
-29 °F

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=weather&placecode=caab0194&switchto=f

swingdjted
20th December 2008, 18:00
:eek:

You're the only person I know that makes me feel warm... :p

Wildrose-Wally
20th December 2008, 18:42
Just looked up the weather in Mitchell, which is the closest the weather channel gets to your location.
It's almost summer there. :)

swingdjted
21st December 2008, 00:31
We're only about a few degrees cooler than Mitchell right now. Weather.com says -3 (-22 wind chill), our bank sign says -7. Mitchell is about a two hour drive from here, which by South Dakota terms is pretty close.

Mitchell is -1 on weather.com.

It's really no big deal for me since there's nothing that I must do outside right now. Back where I used to live (Pennsylvania and Ohio) I'd be stuck outside on a tractor plowing driveways in 10-20 degree weather which is much colder than the indoor 69 that I'm in now.

I guess we just don't get much snow here in South Dakota. Nothing pretty to look at - just cold wind... and no stacks of $10s and $20s from plowing driveways.

Is there much snow in your neck of the woods (or plains)?

sgtfuzzbubble011
21st December 2008, 06:40
I might have to get some big grippy tires and a snowplow for my little truck. :p When everyone else is stuck at home, I'll be plowing my way to the bar. :D

Too-DAMN-Much
21st December 2008, 09:51
seconded.

a truck is hardly a truck if not lifted. ;)

honestly though, if you're really considering lifting your truck and putting bigger tires on it, you'll want to think about your drivetrain, is it full time? shift on the fly?
shift while stopped?

full time can be good, but for my money, if you're planning on going off road, you're mostly kidding yourself unless you can switch at a standstill.

2 by high, get out lock the rims, 4 by low, pop right out of the hole you just dug, watch the other trucks get stuck trying to do it. :up:

my best friend and i have yanked V10s out of their holes with a bored out 4 banger, when they watched us and thought "me too" at the beach, didn't need the winch either most of the time.

just uh.... make sure you don't dig down past the center of the wheel well so you actually CAN lock your wheels and pop out.

swingdjted
21st December 2008, 19:49
my best friend and i have yanked V10s out of their holes with a bored out 4 banger

I think the key there was in part wheelbase. I see cheap-ass Jeep Wranglers pull out behemoth monsters all the time here during hunting season. Long trucks with extended cabs and 8 foot beds bottom out far too easily, even when lifted.

Also, doesn't shift-on-the-fly also work just as well at standstill as the older get-out-and-lock setup? I've had to shift my Tundra (on-fly setup) into 4x4 while stuck and got out. (I had been stuck while getting firewood).

The BEST thing to do that no one remembers to to is to have it in 4 wheel drive AHEAD OF TIME so you don't as likely get stuck in the first place, but, as said before, no one ever remembers to do it.

I thought about a winch, but... then I saw the prices... Maybe someday.

sgtfuzzbubble011
22nd December 2008, 00:14
Something my dad told me long ago about 4-wheel-drive...

"4-wheel-drive is to get you out of the places that 2-wheel-drive gets you stuck."

I wouldn't drive in 4WD on a regular basis unless I knew there was absolutely no danger of sinking or getting stuck (like on icy roads or hard-packed snow-covered gravel roads), because once you get stuck in 4WD, you're going to need other means of extracting your truck. If you get stuck in 2WD, at least you have the option of switching to 4WD to get out.

a truck is hardly a truck if not lifted.
I honestly don't care for lifted trucks that much. They're ok if done properly, but I've seen way too many trucks that are outrageously lifted, and they just look retarded.

And I'm not seriously considering lifting my truck or getting big off-road tires for it. If my Colorado had been built as a Z71, I'd probably get slightly beefier tires for it, but mine's just a 2WD with the Z85 suspension and towing package. I actually plan on getting bigger tires for it, but they're going to be street radials (BFGoodrich Radial T/A P275/60R15). I'll be putting them on new steel wheels that are the same diameter as the factory wheels, but they'll be 2 inches wider (Rock Crawler Series 97 black stainless steel). With the Z71-style fender flares, I think my truck will look pretty good. It's not set up to be an offroad truck, and I don't plan on taking it off the pavement very much. The snowplow part was a joke, but it's not impossible. I've seen people around here with snowplows on everything from riding lawnmowers to 4-wheelers to Jeeps to crew-cab dually trucks and on up to 18-yard dump trucks. :)

swingdjted
22nd December 2008, 02:21
I use a 1952 Ford 8N tractor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_N_Series_Tractors) to do my plowing. It's an impossible-to-die and virtually indestructible machine. Traction is with liquid-calcium-filled tires with chains on them, individual left and right braking for adding power to the opposite wheel, and the heavy weight of an all cast iron frame. Liftbucket on front, plowblade on back.

Why can't motor companies make things that are as reliable as the old 8N Fords any more? I'd be willing to bet that most of the ones built are still in service even after 50+ years. I see them all over the country.

Looks a lot like this but with extra shit attached:
http://www.chatstractors.com/2005_ford/051145_8n_left_front.jpg

But no cab. Very cold.

MidnightViper88
22nd December 2008, 04:30
Speaking of lifted trucks...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/KravinMorhead/BradsF-150.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/KravinMorhead/RichardsWrangler.jpg

The F-150 is my cousin's, the Wrangler is his dad's...I don't know their exact tire sizes and lift heights, so I don't want to be quoted on anything, even though I used to know what Brad did to his F-150...But that's about the kind of tire size and lift height I like when it comes to lifted trucks; 32-34 inch tires, 4-6 in body lift...My cousin wants to get a body lift no more than 6 inches on his F-150, I think his is no more than 4 inches right now but that's still within my taste...

What I don't like is when people lift trucks up so high you need a rappel line to climb in...You could use that shit as a bridge and have a subcompact car drive right under the truck's body...That's a little over the top and ridiculous, unless you live in the jungles of South America or the mountains of Afghanistan... :rolleyes:

Anyway, from the Weather Channel website in Louisville (40258): 7°F feels Like -11°F...The temp might rise a degree or two by 3AM, but wind chill should drop even further as a front brings in wind gusts up to 20mph through the area...

:(

Wildrose-Wally: You live in Canada, so you're better used to that kind of stuff than the rest of us to the South of you...That's the unfair advantage... :p

swingdjted
22nd December 2008, 05:08
^for shame, too clean.

The worst part about lift kits is the fact that in most cases, ground clearance does not change. The axles, especially the "pumpkin balls" (a.k.a. differentials) are straight axle designs and still don't lift except when tire/wheel diameter changes. What I'd like to see is a mass produced lifted independent suspension off road vehicle within reasonable price range. That way everything gets lifted, not just the frame.

-5 right now, winds 10-15mph. Much better than the past few days.

MidnightViper88
22nd December 2008, 06:51
By the way, to correct the record before my cousin tries out his shotgun on me: My cousin wants to get a suspension lift, not a body lift...

I don't know what I was thinking; Even someone like me who isn't a big-time truck enthusiast knows a body lift is only aesthetics and doesn't amount to shit... :p

*d'oh*

Too-DAMN-Much
22nd December 2008, 08:50
Originally posted by swingdjted
Also, doesn't shift-on-the-fly also work just as well at standstill as the older get-out-and-lock setup? I've had to shift my Tundra (on-fly setup) into 4x4 while stuck and got out. (I had been stuck while getting firewood).

The BEST thing to do that no one remembers to to is to have it in 4 wheel drive AHEAD OF TIME so you don't as likely get stuck in the first place

#1 : i'm fairly sure it depends on the vehicle, i've known a few old shift on the fly that they had to be shifted in motion around a certain speed or it could mess things up, those were fairly old trucks though.

#2 : well... the situation i described, 2 by high was to dig yourself in intentionally and then pop back out with 4 by low.

on lifts and what looks good : it depends to be honest on the truck in question, the jeep MNV linked in his pic looks great with that size tire and lift, the toyota mini we messed around off road in was (originally) a small size truck, not entirely sure how far it was lifted, but it sat on 37 inch tires and looked pretty nice and wasn't really tough to get into, for a small truck, biggest i'd go is mid thirty inches.

however, my dream truck, the big size dodge ram if i could afford it, i'd stick it up on 44 inchers, i figure bigger truck, bigger wheels look right, keep it proportionate.

also, he really lucked out getting a hold of that truck to be honest $7,000 used at the car lot in hillsborough, this truck had everything, literally, it was the kind of truck you find at a used car lot and do a serious double take trying to figure out why it's there, it was definetly someone's baby.

Too-DAMN-Much
22nd December 2008, 20:45
[double post because of edit time expiring] i forgot to mention before, those 37 inch off road tires were only rated for a top speed of 80MPH, i think the fastest they've ever seen for real is in the 90-100MPH range.

also the dodge ram i'd be building would be what you call a pavement pounder (meaning it's wheelbase is too wide to fit down most off road trails), i'd still love to do it though and it'd be nice on the beach and other places i can get away with making my own trail.

oh and we've got nearly a foot of snow here, that's more than i've ever seen before in oregon :up:

swingdjted
23rd December 2008, 02:52
Out here (the Great Plains), width isn't as big of a problem. The main problem is that people don't really use trails, they just drive through pastures/fields hoping to not find a soft spot, which means you should always have a second vehicle at a safe distance ready to tow if necessary. People use trucks around here to herd/drive cattle, hunt, or just joyride. I generally don't do so much of it these days (only on rare occasion) because my truck only has the stock off road lift on it - nothing aftermarket and the tires don't currently have a very aggressive tread design. I'd be careful with the 80+mph on mud tires. Not only are they not made for it, but a fast high truck can be a death trap due to the higher center of gravity. Save the speeding for the lower street rods.

Too-DAMN-Much
23rd December 2008, 22:42
yeah i know, that truck really leaned into the turns the one time we went that fast in it, hell damn thing took four lanes just to pull a u-turn anyway.

watadoo
26th December 2008, 15:52
crystal clear and only slightly chill out here in Cali. we have gotten a week of rain though so we inching our way out of the drought conditions of the last three years. I'm going snowboarding in the Sierra over new years and I'm told there is no snow at lake level in Tahoe and you have to take a gondola up just to get to navigable slopes. Whoa.

If we don't get some winter storms in Jan and Feb, California is gonna dry up and blow away.

swingdjted
4th January 2009, 21:09
High teens and low twenties (°F) but with a lot of wind as usual. Last night when I was scraping a quarter inch of solid ice off my windshield at the airport parking lot it was 1°F with a -22°F wind chill. I hate scraping high/hard-to-reach windshields - hard to get arm leverage unless you stand on the front tire and/or grab the rear-view mirror. It wouldn't have been so bad, but I didn't have any gloves or a hat.

watadoo
5th January 2009, 00:05
There was more snow at Tahoe then I'd been led to believe, though there were rocks and patches of dirt on the lower slopes and my tire chains didn't get a work-out (thankfully). Sunny blue skies and low to mid fifties felt more like skiing in Mid April rather than December.

Wildrose-Wally
5th January 2009, 00:38
December 8: 6:00 PM. It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9: We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled snow for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

December 12: The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. l don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14: Snow lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. l didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish l wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15: 20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16: Ice storm this morning. Fell on my ass on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17: Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20: Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of damn snow last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Goddamn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22: Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white sh*t fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to piss. By the time I got undressed, pissed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the asshole is lying.

December 23: Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she nuts!!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24: 6". Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. I know the son of a bitch who drives that snowplow hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was busy watching for that goddamn snowplow.

December 25: Merry Christmas. 20 more inches of the !=3D@x@!x!x1 slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's an idiot. If I have to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to smack her big ass with the shovel.

December 26: Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27: Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze.

December 28: Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. THE B***H is driving me crazy!!!!!

December 29: 10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30: Roof caved in. The snow plow driver is suing me for a million dollars. The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.

December 31: Set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8: I feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

watadoo
5th January 2009, 00:46
That's a winter classic that has always made me smile.

Too-DAMN-Much
5th January 2009, 00:59
apparently it's snowing here again as well.

global warming my ass. ;)

watadoo
5th January 2009, 01:04
Global warming is a stupid term, much used in error and for propaganda. It should be, global climate change (which is initiated by a warming trend in ocean waters due to holes in the ozone layer over the poles).

swingdjted
5th January 2009, 01:09
@W-W ~ Beautiful. Thanks for posting.

sgtfuzzbubble011
5th January 2009, 04:27
The low temperature tonight is supposed to be 8f. More snow forecast for tomorrow with 1 to 3 inches by tomorrow night. High temperature tomorrow is supposed to be below freezing.

Woo.

Razzinno
5th January 2009, 05:19
Fort Yukon, Alaska -47°F :eek:

The worst I've seen in Ohio so far this season, is -1°F. Less than a week later it was 63°F. :weird:

swingdjted
5th January 2009, 05:50
Yeah, that was strange... I was out on the patio of Renee's parents' place (just south of Canton, Ohio) in a long sleeve shirt (no jacket) talking to some friends on the phone, and I could swear it was even warmer than 63. It was some time between the 26th and the 30th of December. Later, still before New Year's, there was a bad thunderstorm (lots of lightning) in western Pennsylvania, something I have NEVER seen between Christmas and New Year's. Strange.

Now that I'm back in South Dakota, I'm back to the cold, but it's not intolerable.

gas-attack
6th January 2009, 02:29
When I read some of the posts here, I must say that we're relatively lucky with the weather here in Europe (SW Germany). The lowest temp I recorded during the last weeks was -6°C (21.2°F), At the moment (3 AM) we have -5,5°C (22,1°F). But the last two years were definitely warmer (no snow at all last winter, except a little on Eastern (!)).
The coldest I've ever experienced over here was -19,9°C (-2,2°F) on Sylvester 1996 and the warmest was 41°C (105,8°C) in Aug 2003 and Jul 2006.

However I've always been against the theory of significant man-made influence on climate ever since that global warming hystery started ~2 years ago. There are enough credible scientists in the world who have alternative theories for the climate change we're (maybe?) just experiencing, but they are all ignored by the IPCC. It wouldn't amaze me if some of the officials there were actually "funded" by those who profit from that hystery (like e.g. solar cell manufacturers). I'm glad that all that fucking "global warming hype" has decreased strongly during the last half year, thanks to the current global economical crisis, and I hope it never comes back again, at least not in that annoying form (WE WILL ALL DIE, IF WE DON'T ... BLA BLA BLA :o)!

sgtfuzzbubble011
6th January 2009, 04:37
Snowed 3 inches this afternoon. And I was working out in it. Again. It stayed well below freezing all day long. We actually had to have another coworker bring out a large diesel-powered jet heater just to keep the back of the drill rig and the tooling from freezing up. 12 hours out in that crap. I'm tired.

gas-attack
6th January 2009, 22:30
Yay! New negative temp record for this season until now: -11,2°C (11,8°F), and it's just 11:30pm here. I'm curious what the night minimum will be... And I'm even living in one of the warmest parts of Germany. There was a low of -24,8°C (-12,6°F) in Saxony last night.

And BTW, driving a 14-year-old car without air conditioning really sucks :down: That thing takes about half an hour to reach an acceptable temperature.

sgtfuzzbubble011
7th January 2009, 03:21
Worked 12.5 hours out in that crap today. It never stopped snowing the entire time we were out there.

swingdjted
8th January 2009, 02:33
You know, after a few years indoors (with the exception of the paint crew during summers), I think a job like yours would be good for me. For some demented reason I like cold weather so long as I can find a way to stay mostly dry.

sgtfuzzbubble011
8th January 2009, 05:06
Staying dry in this line of work is definitely not guaranteed, but once you know the basics and a few tricks of the trade, that goal is mostly attainable. And there's a somewhat decent possibility that my boss might be hiring for a couple new positions in the not-so-overly-distant future. It's tough work, things go wrong sometimes, the weather and site conditions are never ideal, site technicians can be a pain in the ass sometimes, and personal injury is always lurking close by... but it's an honest living.

Today wasn't quite as bad as the last two days (as for the weather, anyway). It was sunny and much warmer (it warmed up to a little above freezing). We finally finished the boring we've been working on for the past several days. The site tech was expecting us to hit rock at ~135 feet. We drilled 165 feet and still had nothing but soft slightly sandy silty clay, which is not good for the supporting foundation of a proposed bidge overpass. The engineering firm and subcontractors ought to have fun with that project. :P

swingdjted
8th January 2009, 06:00
The beauty of it is that you get paid your same rate whether the project is successful or not, right? Although the long term might be less desirable.

sgtfuzzbubble011
9th January 2009, 05:21
The success of each project determines how much work we get in the future. If the site technicians/engineers like the work we do, we get more jobs from them as they pop up. If we constantly screw things up, damage things due to neglegence, cause personaly injury which could have been avoided, etc... then we probably won't be chosen to do future work for them. Of course, things happen that we just can't control. Samples will fall out of the sampling tubes from time to time. Equipment will be damaged here and there. Drilling tools will be lost in the ground on occasion. Traffic and weather conditions will cause us to be late once in a while. And regardless of how great a site might appear on the surface, it's a completely different ballgame 50 or 100 feet below. "I'm sorry the shelby tube was damaged, but we shoved it into a layer of SOLID ROCK with 10,000 POUNDS of pressure."

My company pays me a steady hourly rate regardless of which client we happen to be working for each particular time. My time is billed to the client that we're working for on each particular job, so yeah, I get paid the same amount regardless of how well the job goes. We try to make the jobs go well so that we'll get more business from the clients, though. I just hope I can stick with it for a while.

swingdjted
9th January 2009, 05:32
That's basically what I meant. I'm just saying work time = pay for you, while others either get paid big for success or owe money for fail.

Too-DAMN-Much
9th January 2009, 07:12
weatherman.

be wrong 365 days and still have job security. that's cushy :up:

Razzinno
17th January 2009, 09:56
Today I have -18°F (-28°C). About the only area colder on the continental US map at this moment is in Maine where it is 33 below 0 (F).

[edit - I see now a few miles west of me, it's -26F.]

watadoo
17th January 2009, 14:44
jeezze, we're in the middle of a drought cycle and are seeing the warmest and driest January since the last drought back in the late seventies. It was in the 70's and sunny all week in San Francisco. lots of girls in shorts and tanks. A bit of upside to the lack of moisture. The Sierra are 40-60% down from the usual snow pack and water shortages, power failure and fire will be a part of next summer. Yet the rest of the country freezes under a shitpile of snow and ice. Freaky weather this winter.

sgtfuzzbubble011
26th January 2009, 04:07
It was raining for the past few days, and it switched from raining to snowing earlier today. Got an inch or two on the ground now, and it's supposed to continue through tomorrow sometime. Power connector fried last night, so we had no heat in the camper. Froze my ass off trying to get sleep. Had to get a new connector and cut/splice/repair the cable this morning out in the rain/snow. And fun was had by all.

MidnightViper88
27th January 2009, 04:18
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/KravinMorhead/curwx_600x405.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/KravinMorhead/us_lex_closeradar_plus_usen.jpg

WTF is this shit?

3"-5" in Louisville expected tonight

Razzinno
27th January 2009, 04:42
and it's coming my way...

yeh!

swingdjted
28th January 2009, 04:33
Our temps range from -5F to +25 We have about 4-6 inches on the ground. Not bad really.

swingdjted
19th March 2009, 05:38
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7125/1191tm.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1191tm.jpg)

rockouthippie
21st March 2009, 18:18
weatherman.

be wrong 365 days and still have job security. that's cushy :up:

Sorta like being a US President, CEO of AIG or in Congress....

swingdjted
31st March 2009, 17:49
Last night we went from no snow at all to a couple feet of snow. Last day of March. Go figure.

Some of the drifts go right over buildings making them look like a roof that starts at the ground.

rockouthippie
1st April 2009, 02:04
Here's Daisy trying to find global warming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KPznwYUYEM

Note the look of confusion. Daisy was a liberal, but she's beginning to realize that Bush wasn't the only one that lied.

swingdjted
1st April 2009, 06:02
I liked the post and video until the political part. She looks like she's doing pretty well otherwise though.

We had a 2:00 p.m. early dismissal Monday, School off Tuesday, and (at least so far) a 10:00 a.m. late start Wednesday. Here's why (this is where I work):

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8260/mvc053s.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mvc053s.jpg)
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2891/mvc054s.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mvc054s.jpg)

rockouthippie
5th April 2009, 10:35
Daisy is such a priss. She really hates to get wet. I wish I had the conversation I had with her that morning on video.

"Daisy, go outside". She took one look and turned around at the door. "Look... I know you have to go potty". The gears turned and you could see what she was thinking.... "Hmmm... yeah... Potty... Oh crap!... Yep. I'm floatin'" and off she went crashing through the layer of ice that covered the snow that morning.

I've trained her to stay on the back door floor mat if she's wet....until dry.... The 20 minutes of segregation seems to be unbearable, especially for Daisy... for some reason... She is really good about it, though.... cleans the mud off her paws.... waits until she's "good to go". I can say "Good to go" if she's not that wet or I clean her feet. Very occasionally she'll "forget" and track up the kitchen, but not very often. Then you say "It's MUD!" and she gets all embarrassed and a little chagrined that she didn't get to pull a fast one on me..... off back to the matt to clean her paws.

She was giving the vet technician a little drag at the vet's office the other day. A boxer puppy wanted to play. 90lbs of Daisy and 95 pounds of cute little vet tech wasn't working out so hot. I told the vet tech to tell her to "Heel" ... Daisy immediately stopped like "Yes.. maam!".

Funny dog.

Yeah, despite Daisy's near demise a year and a half ago from her AIHA, she seems to be doing pretty well on her meds. She'll be 8 this year.... no gray yet.. a few aches and pains like an older dog, but otherwise seems real good. Just about a miracle really. AIHA is mostly fatal. The vet said putting her down was a reasonable option. Glad I didn't. I almost did. Talk about luck out! One of her meds went to generic this year, so instead of $44 a month, it's now $4. Neat :)

swingdjted
5th April 2009, 19:35
The link below has a few more winter shots of our area. Come and visit! Renee and I have rooms with spectacular views!

http://img11.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img2038i.jpg

watadoo
5th April 2009, 19:45
No thanks, I'll stick to the glorious spring that has just this week sprung.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7329510@N06/3269451365/

rockouthippie
5th April 2009, 21:55
Beauty weather here in Oregon too. 65F ... supposed to be 74 tomorrow.

swingdjted
5th April 2009, 23:25
Snow finally stopped falling, sun is out. Perhaps the meltdown will start now. I should just put my CPU out there and all of the snow will be gone.

MidnightViper88
6th April 2009, 17:55
Yeah, so it was nice and near-70 on Sunday, rain game in throughout the night because of the cold front, and now it's in the 30s, still drizzling, and there's talks of light flurries tomorrow, with highs in the lower-40s...

Wednesday should bring back the 60s and sun...

But what the fuck? In April?

terry31
23rd May 2009, 17:53
Alternative energy sources are, I think,
and there is that direction which will deduce the world from crisis.
The epoch of oil and gas monopolies will end.

ElChevelle
23rd May 2009, 18:00
WTF?

swingdjted
23rd May 2009, 19:21
???

Anyway, We had a day of 100 Fahrenheit last week; since then it's been in the high 60's.

ryan
28th May 2009, 19:40
Originally posted by swingdjted
[ url=http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7125/1191tm.jpg][Image][/ url]

Only good proof I've ever seen for global war... er climate change. Whatever the fuck they're calling it.

watadoo
28th May 2009, 20:58
Here's a nice then and now glacier image from livescience.com

http://www.livescience.com/environment/060324_glacier_melt.html

watadoo
28th May 2009, 21:05
Actually here is a better link to a photo gallery. some not terribly striking, some pretty amazing.
http://www.livescience.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/igviewer.php?imgid=626&gid=42&index=0

I was in British Columbia last summer and they have this huge glacier you can walk out on and on the hike up to it they have markers showing the leading edge of the glacier, or where it used to be in 20 year increments. Melting pretty fast, it is.

No big deal you might think, but glaciers are major aquifers. no water no crops.

ryan
28th May 2009, 23:33
see here (http://www.globalwarminghoax.com/comment.php?comment.news.107)

Razzinno
6th August 2009, 02:55
July: one of the coolest. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=coolest+july+united+states&aq=f&oq=&aqi=) Curious thing about global warming advocates; no matter how hot or cold it gets, they always claim global warming is the cause of it.

rockouthippie
12th August 2009, 09:26
It was hot here in Northwest Oregon about 10 days ago... even up to 106 degrees... but it was not a record..... you'd have to go back to the 1960's to find record temperatures.... most of you guys aren't old enough to remember "nuclear winter" :rolleyes:

swingdjted
13th August 2009, 06:16
Born in March of 1978. Don't remember much before late '81.

From what I understand, '77 and '78 were unbelievably intense winters where I grew up (Western Pennsylvania, USA). Snow was accumulated almost as tall as standing adults, whereas a normal winter gets about 16 inches on the worst day (around knee deep for an adult). Drifts in both cases were about three times higher of course.

Right now, I believe we're in the middle of "La Nina" which is the cooler of the "El Nino - La Nina" cycle. If global warming is a real thing (which I am not debating on this particular post), this year wouldn't be a year to notice it, as it has an overall cooler-than-normal summer and winter. This claim is based on what I have seen on the "Weather Channel", which is contrary to what Wikipedia claims (saying that years '09-'10 are the warmer "El Nino"). From what I've noticed, it was a rather cold winter, and a rather cooler-than-normal summer too.

QOAL
13th August 2009, 10:38
You're in Iowa now Ted, yeah?
I knew/know a couple that lived somewhere in that state, this past winter was the worst for a long time for them, very cold and continuous snow fall for days on end.
The guys truck had problems starting because it was diesel too. (That and having to shovel snow massive amounts of snow)
But at least it's not Saskatchewan.

swingdjted
14th August 2009, 04:12
Diesel engines are tough to start in the winter if you don't heat up the glow plugs for a while first. There's some kind of plug-in add-on you can buy for any engine too. I think it heats up the oil, but I've never had one so I'm not sure.

rockouthippie
19th August 2009, 08:12
The one I had was an electric oil dipstick. It just replaced the normal dipstick and you plug it in the wall. Either get a really, really good battery or a battery heater. They are like an electric blanket. There are some heaters that replace your water freeze plug in the engine block, but I never knew anyone that did that.

Another thing you'll want to do when it gets really cold is cut a piece of cardboard that blocks off about 3/4 of the front of the radiator. Stick it in there if it gets below about 15 degrees. This is especially important if your going on the highway... your cabin heater won't work otherwise....

Wildrose-Wally
19th August 2009, 11:52
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater

swingdjted
20th August 2009, 03:01
^That's exactly what I'm talking about - those little plugs hung out of almost all cars in South Dakota, and many here in Iowa.

I've never been completely unable to start my current vehicles, so I never really had a critical need for those, but I read (on your link) preheated engine could reduce pollution significantly, so maybe I should pick some of them up with a timer switch set to about a half hour before I start up in the morning.

Wildrose-Wally
20th August 2009, 03:49
Those block heaters are standard equipment here. You buy a car, it has it already installed.

Of course, in Canada this is also sometimes referred to as a block heater:

http://www.ocanadagear.com/graphics/toque-ribbed-navy.jpg

swingdjted
18th February 2010, 03:32
We finally got plowed out and have started back to school. Here's a little youtube of the pile it left:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ewVO-1egQ

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1070/img0002ii.jpg (http://img175.imageshack.us/i/img0002ii.jpg/)

They used a bunch of these to plow:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9789/img0026tw.jpg (http://img442.imageshack.us/i/img0026tw.jpg/)
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4945/img3933i.jpg (http://img64.imageshack.us/i/img3933i.jpg/)
(that blade is quite a bit taller than I am)
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2592/img0021yb.jpg (http://img37.imageshack.us/i/img0021yb.jpg/)

oops...

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9858/img3970640x480.jpg (http://img190.imageshack.us/i/img3970640x480.jpg/)

The view out of our office (note that the background is a 3-4 story high gymnasium):
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/6529/img0032o.jpg (http://img651.imageshack.us/i/img0032o.jpg/)

I don't think people give mother nature enough credit considering some of the shit she comes up with.

rockouthippie
18th February 2010, 16:52
Today here in Hillsburrito, Orygun, 50 degrees, 5mph wind, sunshine... it's spring. The dog thinks so too. Her spring has definitely sprung :) She saw me get out the bicycle. It's time for "go for walk!".

swingdjted
19th February 2010, 01:05
^I'll see it is rather warm when we finally get weather like that, although if it happens too fast we'll be flooded.

Today I had the pleasure of falling on my ass (slipped on ice), but luckily not in front of my students. It'll probably leave a nice bruise, but don't expect any pictures...

Instead, here's our road about a half mile north of town today (I drive this on the way home from work). For reference, I'm about 5'10" tall, and the truck is about a half foot taller than me. (truck is roughly 2 meters tall for you metric folk)

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3651/img0052800x600.jpg (http://img63.imageshack.us/i/img0052800x600.jpg/)

Can't really read signs anymore.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6486/img0054800x600.jpg (http://img269.imageshack.us/i/img0054800x600.jpg/)

swingdjted
20th February 2010, 06:13
The giant snowblowers cut a really straight wall out of the snow when they go through, rather than making the piles that the plows make (after too much snowfall, the plows don't work anymore due to the snow being too tall and heavy).

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1430/img0067s.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/i/img0067s.jpg/)

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3889/img0070ii.jpg (http://img515.imageshack.us/i/img0070ii.jpg/)

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/453/img0069f.jpg (http://img709.imageshack.us/i/img0069f.jpg/)

watadoo
22nd June 2010, 15:30
I'm awfully glad you cleared all that up. Ahat' s your profession that gives you access to such a comprehensive knowledge of the issues, again? Junior clerk at Best Buy? Head burrito man at Taco bell?

watadoo
22nd June 2010, 15:31

rockouthippie
22nd June 2010, 19:48
You shouldn't talk to him that way, you might have to get a job someday.

watadoo
22nd June 2010, 19:58
hahaha you so funny! I love your insults from the 1968 John Bircher catalog = "get a job hippie." How old are you anyway? sheesh.

It would probably give you a stroke if you knew how much money I make at my gig as you think all liberals are pot smoking hippies who can't hold a job. time to come out of your cave, bubba.

rockouthippie
23rd June 2010, 00:44
I don't think you really realize how precarious your situation is.

watadoo
23rd June 2010, 00:47
What? Are you stalking me and telling my boss what a librul I am, trying to get me fired? That's gonna work just fine.

swingdjted
25th June 2010, 05:30
Al Gore has some "convenient" income due to his work on climate change awareness (I wouldn't mind getting a little piece of that pie), but that doesn't really change the facts behind his claims. It really is easy to see that man-made climate change is likely happening when you examine the evidence. Humans have a lot of power to change the face of the globe - just look at the current oil spill which has grown larger than Lake Erie, or you can go to the past and see what happened with the ozone hole, which luckily seems to be reducing in size due to our changes in product use.

I did poke fun at the global warming idea with all my snow pictures, but that was more a result of me being new to such a hostile winter environment, something that those around me are quite used to. Believe it or not, people here say that it used to be much colder, and less hot in the summer (it's been in the low 90s this week - it's supposed to be in the high 70s or low 80s). An increase in snow in areas like mine actually indicate a higher winter temperature, as snow doesn't fall much at all in temperatures below 10F.

rockouthippie
25th June 2010, 14:21
The South Africans played hell to get this coal plant, which is controversial for the reasons in this thread.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201004100002.html

Economic development has made us all fat, but OMG! you can't give some Africans a hand up because it emits 25 tons of carbon. The U.S., Britain, Netherlands, Norway and Italy abstained from voting proving their commitment to green power, but only thinly veiling our absolute hypocrisy.

"Green" involves any pretense to try to keep Africa from having any non renewable energy. The stance is largely effective too. It effectively means Africa can't have significant energy.

Green huh? How many polar bears for how many Africans?

What? Are you stalking me and telling my boss what a librul I am, trying to get me fired? That's gonna work just fine.

There is always someone smarter than you are. With the way the economy is, they'll be someone along soon whose cheaper. If you can get through your life without some serious gaps in your resume, you'll be doing better than 90% of the people I know. Those gaps are a killer.

The last time anything like this happened to the economy was back in the early 80's. Because we bailed this out it feels about the same, this recession is deeper. Borrowing only extends it.

In the 90's, I remember kids that didn't realize there was such a thing as a bear market or that the .com bubble would burst. From upper middle class to rocketing to the poor house in 6 seconds which was about as fast as the Beemer they could no longer afford.

I've lived through one of these. I don't think you quite understand how absolutely fucked up the next 10 years are gonna be. You'll live, but the party is over. If you haven't been affected, it's YET!

swingdjted
7th July 2010, 06:37
Possibly true, but only time will tell. In my situation, I feel pretty secure - gone through some rough times and somehow dug myself out of it before it became damaging.

Lately it has been easy to believe the "global warming" thing - I've been splitting wood with a maul and puling stumps with a truck and tractor in 90-100F high-humidity weather. This kind of stuff isn't supposed to happen until mid August.

It takes a lot of work just to get a shirt off - it just seems to glue itself to me with all the sweat/dust mix.

rockouthippie
7th July 2010, 07:31
Here in Oregon, we are getting the first summer weather so far. The'res been a couple 70 degree days, but low 50's at might. Hell, last night I turned on some heat. In July? It's pretty weird.

From here we get some summer weather for a while. It was 85 today. Upper 80's and low 90's with cool nights. I'm happy now. :)

As far as the economy goes, I don't think there is a magic bullet. It made us do some things we wouldn't have done under normal circumstance (like bail the bankers out). I think we're going to have to live without reforms we'd make under normal circumstances.

As it's going now, it might take 10 more years, maybe even longer, to resemble 2007 spending and employment.

Total nonfarm payroll employment decreased by 125,000 in June, re-
flecting the departure of 225,000 temporary Census 2010 workers from
federal government payrolls. Total private employment edged up over
the month (+83,000) due to modest increases in several industries.
So far this year, private-sector employment has increased by 593,000
but in June was 7.9 million below its December 2007 level.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

This economy looks like it has finally stopped losing jobs, but a lot of business people expect the recovery to lose momentum, so we may see more dips in employment. This meager job g.r.o.w.t.h. number tells the tale. How soon do we get back to 2007 numbers? 10 or 20 years?

tuckerm
23rd July 2010, 04:53
007? Is that you?? :igor:

rockouthippie
25th July 2010, 06:27
I don't think we need to about chemtrails when we have Mr. 007 on the case.

KROCKS ZPR
27th July 2010, 22:25
HAARP is not the only device that can manipulate the weather.

CERN, a more advanced and much larger array, and several others scattered all over the world, work in conjunction with HAARP and do a whole lot more than just make it rain or dump piles of snow enough to go swimming in.

Research what was the cause of the Haiti earthquake back in February.

Norway Spiral anyone?

Google is your friend. :)

RFB

SSJ4 Gogitta
25th August 2010, 13:29
[Insert Coast to Coast AM theme music here]

rockouthippie
21st September 2010, 06:26
Well, we are at the end of summer 2010, and it is one of the coolest summers I have ever seen. I only turned the air conditioning on 3 times. It never hit 100 degrees. The weather now is unseasonably cool and with more rain than I'd expect.

Hmmm.....

thinktink
21st September 2010, 07:25
I agree. This has been the coolest summer that I can remember.

Of course if I were to actually research the weather trends for my area and post it I think somehow some raging ant-capitalist fear-mongering fascist anti-humanity environmentalist wacko would cherry-pick data from some obscure region on the planet to offset our testimony... :rolleyes:

screw it...

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_15723011
http://sciencedude.ocregister.com/2010/08/03/summer-chill-july-one-of-coolest-on-record/107185/
http://www.ktvu.com/news/25024643/detail.html
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/07/cool-summer-la-set-more-record-low-temperatures.html
http://sciencedude.ocregister.com/2010/09/10/for-u-s-4th-hottest-summer-on-record/110685/
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2561801/posts
http[colon][forwardslash][forwardslash]westernusawx[dot]info[forwardslash]forums[forwardslash]index[dot]php?showtopic=30292

wtf is up with the forums butchering the last link?

Not that it really matters though I guess.

rockouthippie
21st September 2010, 09:11
NOAA predicted 3-7 category 4 and 5 hurricanes with the possibility that it could be nearly as bad as 2005. Ummm... so far.... Igor blew some patio umbrellas over in Bermuda.

:rolleyes:

watadoo
21st September 2010, 14:34
Science is hard. Best to ignore it.

rockouthippie
6th October 2010, 03:50
I'm surprised you can spell it.

Please find me a prediction of doomsday that ACTUALLY follows all (or any) of these screwed up "scientific" climate models that predict our doom.

Science means you adopt a theory that sorta looks like the facts. The ice pack might melt. The polar bears might die, but with the "science" I've seen, computer models might as well predict that we will all shit and go blind.

I think our ecology is important. Politically, it's important to get to energy self sufficiency. If we deal with science and facts, we'll make better choices.

Frankly, I've seen warming predicted that goes against the laws of physics. One big example is that it's physically impossible for ocean temperature increases to be as big as predicted. Do your math. The earth has 1.4 billion cubic kilometers of water. Try changing it's temperature. You could set off every hydrogen bomb on the planet and not budge it a degree.

Science is hard. Making up a bunch of crap isn't.

We've been doing a pretty hard look at this stuff for 20 years. NO climate models fit what happened, is happening or what is likely to happen.

If tomorrows weather report was likely to be accurate.............

I think it would be rather important to figure out what the facts are. I like facts.

Al Gore has some "convenient" income due to his work on climate change awareness (I wouldn't mind getting a little piece of that pie), but that doesn't really change the facts behind his claims.

Check those "facts".

http://www.media.rice.edu/media/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=12794&SnID=2075327496

Take 2 aspirin and call me in a millennia. If you believe in the Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum(55 million years ago), you'd have to account for it taking 20,000 years to raise the earths temperature 6C. Forget the ice age that happened 75,000 years ago, which reduced humans to scant thousands.

You might think I am cavalier about the ability of 6 billion humans to do extreme damage to the biosphere. I'm not. I just think global warming is the least of our problems. When we manage to piss mother nature off enough.... 80,000 years of humans. 2500 years of civilization. A few hundred of that was the "Dark Ages". Remember Rome? 18th century technology that disappeared for 1500 years.

I just think we humans can do a little better offing ourselves than some CO2.

swingdjted
13th November 2010, 16:28
Ahh, the return of Global Warming! Actually it is very surprising that we have had zero snow until just today, but, all of a sudden, we got hit this morning. Obviously, earlier in the thread I showed much worse, but more than a foot is still noteworthy. I had to dig just to be able to show the pink 1 foot ruler (30 cm). I'm guessing it's about 36 cm or 14 inches so far and still lightly falling.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/43/img1216g.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/i/img1216g.jpg/)

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4294/img1219z.jpg (http://img801.imageshack.us/i/img1219z.jpg/)

simon snowflake
17th November 2010, 13:21
cool!

lakeshorestair
17th November 2010, 16:17
snow!

watadoo
18th November 2010, 03:00
It's sad that the once mighty Winamp is now pretty much the dumbest place on the Internet outside of Freerepublic.com

swingdjted
18th November 2010, 03:13
I've never been to that site.

I know I keep making fun of "global warming" by posting these snow pictures on this thread, but I honestly do believe that human-influence is a significant contributing cause of climate change. Statistically speaking, I should have been showing pictures of snow much earlier in the season, but until the day of my previous post, there was zero snow, not even the kind of snow that melts instead of accumulating. Most has melted now, it's just patchy in addition to the piles that all the plows left behind. I apologize if my incredibly sarcastic treatment of this thread offends people; I've just been looking for a place to post pictures of snow. I actually like snow.

watadoo
18th November 2010, 03:51
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080325141202.htm I live relatively close to a lake of magnificent beauty that is already suffering the effects of climate change.

swingdjted
18th November 2010, 04:06
One thing that a lot of science-educated people agree on is that climate change is actually happening. The issue that remains debated, especially politically debated, is whether or not this change is influenced significantly by humans and whether human factors are causing the climate change. Based on what I have seen, at the very least, there is a correlation that seems unique based on it's matching with human industrial times. Coincidence? Maybe, but at this point, there is nothing that explains the situation more convincingly in my opinion, considering the speed of the changes in the climate and the corresponding and time-matching speed of the changes in human-caused emissions.

watadoo
18th November 2010, 04:16
Or sadder yet, the eventual lack of snow around the lake.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/11/16/3190094/tahoe-will-lose-much-of-its-snow.html

rockouthippie
19th November 2010, 09:29
Dr. Taylor, who has been studying polar bears for 30 years, writing 50 research papers on the subject:

In science, the validity of simulation models are evaluated based on how well their predictions match what actually happens..

The insistence that we all must believe it and that CO2 driven climate change is a technical consensus, when the earth isn’t warming, and when it is not a technical consensus, that’s the part that I really don’t understand.

http://www.fcpp.org/publication.php/2571

How well do IPCC climate models match what has happened? Not at all.

swingdjted
12th December 2010, 16:46
The Midwest got hit pretty hard yesterday. This pic is from this morning. A few of the roads have been one-lane plowed, but I wouldn't try taking a car on them. I had trouble even with a 4x4 pickup getting around. Right now it's 1 degree Fahrenheit.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/8103/img1356m.jpg (http://img340.imageshack.us/i/img1356m.jpg/)

amp'd
6th March 2011, 03:15
Whoever started ths thread is a douché, the term is "climate change".

swingdjted
6th March 2011, 04:45
Whoever started ths thread is a douché, the term is "climate change".

"The term" depends on who is speaking.

I have already used both "climate change" and "global warming", and although scientists have agreed on one over the other, that doesn't mean people should lose terms based on what others say. Our globe (overall) is warming; that is proven. Those who say "global warming" aren't measurably wrong if you consider the planet as a whole.

Like I said before, the change in climate isn't the question. The cause is the question. [Human, or unrelated factors?] Arguing over what to call it is a waste of time and doesn't lead to any productivity whatsoever.

Calling someone a douche, and worse yet, tossing an acute accent over the e makes you lose a lot of credibility. Name calling only makes sense if the name actually describes the accused in a related and appropriate way. Instead, you used a feminine hygiene product to describe someone's use of vocabulary, while going out of your way to use punctuation that doesn't even make sense for that word anytime, anywhere.

While I don't mind people presenting an argument, I do find it annoying when someone resorts to unrelated name-calling and completely out-of-place punctuation.

(can you tell I'm in a bad mood today?)

Oh, and since I've treated this as a thread to post snow pictures, it would be unfitting for me to post without a snow pic. Here's an odd pic of the car's wheel.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6946/img1329u.jpg (http://img148.imageshack.us/i/img1329u.jpg/)

amp'd
6th March 2011, 05:19
My, you are having a bad day if you are having a pop at someone for spelling a word correctly.

rockouthippie
14th March 2011, 10:44
Our globe (overall) is warming; that is proven.

I don't think there is enough evidence to prove that as a trend in a time scale that would be necessary to make such a statement. The world has probably been getting warmer, but we don't have enough data to prove that to be the case over the long term.

Will the world be warmer in 100 years than now? I don't think anyone knows.

Too-DAMN-Much
14th March 2011, 13:13
My, you are having a bad day if you are having a pop at someone for spelling a word correctly.

same could be said of anyone still proud of being wrong. :down:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/douche

timewarptickers
21st May 2011, 23:16
Does it really matter that much, even if "global warming" isn't real could we just try to ruin the environment less anyway or are those ideas mutually exclusive

thinktink
22nd May 2011, 07:49
Does it really matter that much, even if "global warming" isn't real could we just try to ruin the environment less anyway or are those ideas mutually exclusive

Your question presumes that mankind's activities causes environmental "ruin." Personal environmental stewardship is not the issue. The validity of the theory of anthropomorphic climate change is challenged and the consequences of it's promoters' solutions are dire.

http://reason.com/archives/2010/11/10/job-killing-environmentalists
http://www.washington.edu/uwpress/search/books/HUGFRC.html
https://students.law.duke.edu/shell/cite.pl?9+Duke+Envtl.+L.+&+Pol%27y+F.+161
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33169880349

itsupportguys
25th May 2011, 05:47
haha so classic.

swingdjted
10th February 2012, 00:41
Not sure where else to post this, but...

http://g1.globo.com/mundo/noticia/2012/02/frio-extremo-cria-ondas-congeladas-em-porto-na-croacia.html

Sabine Klare
19th November 2012, 21:28
I am 46 years now. And I know the difference between the 70ies / 80ies and today...
I am living in Berlin (Germany) since my birth. In my childhood there was a lot of snow in the winter, nowadays only very rare snow. Sleigh or build snowmen, these things have become very difficult. If we have snow, I see families with sledge, of course. Today, the ice on the lakes is very thin, so it is too dangerous to walk over the lakes. But in the 70ies / 80ies we were able to do that...
I have to think of the icebears and penguins in the polar landscapes. Where should they go, if the ice is melting forever? The global warming will become a very big problem for the "fauna & flora"...
When I became an adult, in my fantasy I was flying over the "Land Of Eternal Ice". I had drawn and painted many pictures with polar landscapes. 2009 I began to create Terragen Artwork, which I have used also for my YouTube-Uploads:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.127923913916605.9447.124413124267684&type=3
I don't want to lose the "Land Of Eternal Ice" on "Planet Earth", because it is so unique. But can we avoid this loss? I don't know that...
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine

LostinSpaceman
20th November 2012, 08:47
same could be said of anyone still proud of being wrong. :down:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/douche

I'll see your Mirriam's and raise you an Urban Dictionary! LOL!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Douch%C3%A9&defid=5607367

Warrior of the Light
20th November 2012, 21:11
My personal opinion: (not based on anything because for every study that proves one thing there are at least 10 different studies that prove otherwise):

Our climate is always changing. Sometimes it goes faster than at other times but it's always changing. Maybe we caused everything, maybe we didn't change a thing at all and maybe, most likely, we changed it for less than 1%. Maybe we'll have a new ice age within 100 years, maybe the Sahara desert will be a rainforest... Thinking we have complete control over this gives arrogance a new definition. My suggestion would be to deal with it, no matter what comes.

Still, we'll have to take care of our planet as much as we can but it's not like we're completely responsible for whatever happens.

rockouthippie
21st November 2012, 10:17
Africa desperately needs power production facilities. And the G8 countries have decided that because Africa might create some greenhouse gas, that they can have 2 nuclear plants, mainly for the South Africans who have about half the power they could really use. The rest of Africa gets three solar powered yard lights. If you look carefully at this satellite picture, you'll see the 3 yard lights.

http://www.worldfuturecouncil.org/uploads/pics/Africa_by_night_mittel_01.jpg

In that pitch black, live 1 billion people.

The G8 or members could easily build Africa some cheap coal plants but they won't. It's gotta be green. And Africa can't afford green. So it's dark. A billion people. 400,000 with access to electricity.

We might have some West Coast cities below Sea Level in 2180. But cities in Oregon and Washington probably aren't gonna last that long. The Japanese earthquake is prophetic and we're almost completely unprotected. We didn't know we were in an earthquake skull and crossbones, so we aren't built for it.

So.. since town isn't gonna be here anyway...... I think we should help the Africans.

Sabine Klare
21st November 2012, 13:05
Today we cannot believe anymore, a life can be very nice also without electric power. In the TV-Documentations they are trying to tell us, how we can live with less energy consumption. We can try to do that, but we will never be 100% perfect. Alternative energie sources are much better, of course. I have already seen a lot of wind power plants on the yearly group tours since 2007. 30 years ago I saw a lot of coal power plants, when we did the family travel several times a year...
But we didn't have always electric power in the history of the civilization...
How did the ancient indigenous people live for thousands of years, for example the Indians in North America? I don't think, they had lived bad. No, they got along very well with their life instead...
If the europeans would be suddenly forced to live the same life-style, they will have problems, because they don't know that...
They would miss many things, of course, but a spiritual life would be also wonderful. I am thinking of the very nice old cultures now, also of the celtic people near Stonehenge...
We cannot do something anymore against these changes, because we have them already, also, if we would only use alternative energy sources in the future. But we can try to do the best, to maintain these changes in boundaries...

rockouthippie
21st November 2012, 13:12
Those Africans are perfect. Zero carbon footprint permanently.

I agree that with you that we need to adopt a more agrarian existence, but screw running around trying to stab a deer with a stick if you need lunch.

Sabine Klare
21st November 2012, 13:21
I think, I am one of the people, who are not very good and who don't do very good things for the "Planet Earth"...

rockouthippie
21st November 2012, 13:35
I assuming that you didn't take a private jet to Finland. Then fly around in a helicopter and watch ice melt. That's our ex-famous speaker of the house Nancy Pelosi. She got there and said... wow... it's water.. Is that what happens when ice melts? I thought only gin did that. It must be global warming.