View Single Post
Old 12th December 2012, 06:48   #11
wildwind

Hello Fellow sufferers !

Personally, I consider the Winamp wi-fi sync as not yet "fit for purpose".
Here is a summary of my findings. I am not sure this will help other members of this forum, but I hope catches the attention of the Winamp development team and be of some help to them.

- Problem
/ The transfer via USB works fine with several Adnroid devices I use. I recommend that alternative, but unfortunately that is not always possible - I have an Android media player that is far beyond the max length of a USB cable to connect to the PC where I keep all my music in .mp3 files. Wi-fi wold be the ideal solution, but it is not reliable enough.
/ I confirm the erratic on/off connection problems other member reported.
/ I confirm the problem with track names that contain a single quote (possibly other characters as well - see more bellow).
/ I confirm connection and transfer of tracks stops randomly (I couldn't find a recurrent reason).
/ I found that it is possible to transfer tracks/playlists to Android devices, even when Winamp is not running on the device, but that had a strange effect on the playlist
- I sent a playlist to the Android device with the first track "Ain't nobody" (Chaka Khan). The playlist had 16 tracks, but only that first one appeared later in the playlist on the Android media player, all other tracks had disappeared from the playlist.
- If Winamp was not running in the Android device when I transferred that playlist I mentioned above, I could see on the Widows PC I am using to send the playlist, that the playlist on the device had all tracks, but a few seconds after I started Winamp on the Android device, all tracks after "Ain't nobody" disappeared from the playlist.

My Temp fix
/ Fed-up with wi-fi transfer, I removed the hard-disk from the media player and transferred 38GB of tracks to it, organized as /artist/album/trackname. This is more reliable and much faster than wi-fi sync.
- IMPORTANT :- When I reconnect the hard-disk to the Android player, ANY .m3u found on the hard-disk is automatically "imported" as a Winamp playlist - Make sure the hard-disk doesn't have any .m3u files you do not want as a Winamp playlist (hard to get rid of them later).

Suggestion
/ I believe we can do the same with the SD card of an Android phone.
- Mount the card on the Windows PC
- Copy all tracks to the card.
- Create a folder on the PC with .m3u playlist files and copy that folder to the card. A few seconds after installing the card back in the phone and starting winamp, the playlists will be imported and appear in the phone.
/ I agree this not very pratical for those who change very often the music content of the phone.

Conclusion
Winamp wi-fi sync needs major improvement and I hope I have contributed to that with my comments.
wildwind is offline   Reply With Quote