View Single Post
Old 7th December 2007, 02:19   #270
Grandchild

framerate-independent movement

there's been some discussion on and off about how to achieve framerate-independence for variables changing over time. with little result. so i finally sat down and calculated it all out. here's how it goes, a quick tutorial about how to make your SSCs, DMs, Triangles and TexerIIs move with the same speed regardless of the fps [frames per second] AVS runs with:

there's three different kinds of changing a variable's value over time that i use frequently. they are of the shape:
code:
x = x+m;
//linear movement

y = y*s; // with 0 < s < 1 constant
// y aproaches zero, like e.g. decreasing the effect of a beat-responsive value after a beat.

z = z-(z-zd)*s; ;-or-; z = z*(1-s)+zd*s; // with 0 < s < 1 const.
// both are the same and can be used interchangeably! i use the first one in general.
// here, zd is the 'target value' which is approached after time.

well looks good but these above depend on how fast your preset runs.
so the first thing you need to know is how fast your preset actually runs. you can calculate that by using:
code:
t = gettime(0); speed = t-old_t; old_t = t;

this gives you the inverted fps*, here called "speed".

i'll spare you the why's and how's and will just give you the equations. in the first one m is simply multiplied by 'speed' whereas in the other two cases you basically substitute s for a modified 'speed' value [which is the interesting part about this ].
code:
t = gettime(0); speed = t-old_t; old_t = t;
//linear:
x = x+m*speed; // you'll need a bigger m now!

//approaching zero:
speed2 = pow(s,speed*dfps);
y = y*speed2;

//approaching target value [or 'interpolation']:
speed3 = 1-pow(1-s,speed*dfps);
z = z-(z-zd)*speed3;
//or
speed3 = pow(1-s,speed*dfps);
z = z*speed3+zd*(1-speed3);

(1 <- that is a ONE btw. not L)

again s is a constant >0 and <1 which gives the speed of the change:
low s -> faster motion.
high s -> slower motion.
dfps is the desired or simulated framerate set by you. it's a constant, maybe 20 to 50. do not use the actual calculated fps!

have fun,
grandchild
note that this will give you the raw, fluctuating fps, not the number shown in the editor or fullscreen. but this is usually sufficient to get a decent result. if you need something smoother, try the third equation from above [without fps-correction, mind you!]
...and if you should need it: the fps is now calculated with 1/speed.
Grandchild is offline   Reply With Quote