View Single Post
Old 19th July 2011, 01:38   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

Greek? Sometimes there just isn't enough time in a human lifetime to study everything you found interesting or the capacity for it. I did get a little Spanish by experience. My "old pa" (great grandfather) Gasiorowski was fluent in both and 11 other "non-dead" languages.

My pursuits have led me along a different path. Were he alive, I still couldn't beat the old bastard at chess.

I would agree with him about Cardinal Richelou in 1839. Basically that the pen is mightier than the sword.

True, This! —
Beneath the rule of men entirely great,
The pen is mightier than the sword. Behold
The arch-enchanters wand! — itself a nothing! —
But taking sorcery from the master-hand
To paralyse the Cæsars, and to strike
The loud earth breathless! — Take away the sword —
States can be saved without it!

I'd rather pick up a pen

Piotr has been dead for most of my lifetime, but you remember a guy who fed you flaming hot peppers on his knee and told you stories.

I can still eat a habanero and not blink

You do remember Catulus.... "There is no sworde to bee feared more than the Learned pen". That is a 16th century translation of a first century work by Erasmus.

Some of these things are a caution, some of them are a blessing. It is, after all, how we consider these things that might determine our fate. We aren't a hell of a lot different than our ancestors.

I might not be alive by the time the next "Dark Ages" happens, but being a kind man, I am concerned about our kids.

We have about 5 millennium of human knowledge to study. Sometimes the re-invention of the wheel? You understand what I'm saying.

I will part. You understand the reference.

“The fault is not in our stars but in ourselves”

History repeats itself. I couldn't be more scared.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote