View Single Post
Old 21st January 2012, 10:52   #7
jheriko
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to jheriko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yathosho View Post
i think the download numbers on winamp.com, the submission rate on deviantart and the amount of comments in this forum speak a clear language. yes, there are people using those plugins, but there aren't many of them. i guess the real question is, who still uses winamp these days?
no one i think, but lots of people have smart devices these days...

Quote:
anyway, that visualization software. is that the kind that never sees the days of light or the one with the source code you will "lose" after the first release? seriously, every couple of years someone pops up (usually people that haven't been around for ages) and promise to 1) revive the avs scene or 2) that they're working on an alternative visualization plugin. it's always a bunch of bullshit, nothing ever gets released, there aren't even any following annoucements. the only serious effort i recall was fragmer's avsx, which in the end was sacked.
i assume you refer to the gvm source code i lost?

fridge stagnated because it wasn't going where i wanted and nobody really contributed except pak-9 who i think tried reviving it recently.

this is the kind i do at work, where if a prototype is successful, it might happen. no promises

Quote:
plus, nobody needs a plugin for just one player, least of all winamp. nullsoft seems only interested in the development of winamp for android, which has nothing in common with winamp except for the name. if you want to build a visualization software these days you first got to look around what's available and evaluate if it's necessary to start something new or if it wouldn't do better if you put your efforts into an existing project (there are PLENTY). okay, you made your decision, you want something new. why limit yourself to a platform? think big, bigger than a plugin for software x and bigger than for just one operating system.
thanks, but i do sort of get the big picture. the cross platform techniques of my game engine (which works and is mostly publicly available) have taught me everything i need to know about how to not be restricted to one platform or specific os etc.

Quote:
there are people that could join your cause, but as the fridge disaster showed that doesn't mean anything. if i were you, i'd talk to people like fragmer, grandchild and micro.d! fragmer got quite far and is quite knowledgeable when it comes to CUDA, grandchild showed some interested in developing something himself, and i'm sure micro.d can contribute in some form as he's quite active in the vvvv scene and as a person who's bringing visualizations to the club as a "vj".
well, like i said, it would be through work, and might not happen at all. i was just curious if anyone had a good handle on how popular this stuff is, because the available software is mediocre at best.

p.s. you might not have seen in the news how little spare time i had to devote to any kind of home programming etc. over the last year. that really didn't help p9s attempt on fridge. which btw, is on google code, but is an overengineered pile of complicated ui made to satisfy fringe users instead of ship a product.

-- Jheriko

'Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers'
jheriko is offline   Reply With Quote