View Single Post
Old 5th May 2013, 22:42   #34
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
That made me laugh. ALAC is an Apple Lock-in scam. Trying to convert everyone over to the "The Apple Way".

That is not a standard, that is an attempt at dominance of the market. Making it "open source" is not enough. If Apple were really about the "community" and "openness" then they would have moved to FLAC like many others are now doing. (See any modern phone - Androids, Blackberrys, etc.... anything that isn't an Apple)

ANYTHING connected with that mess that is iTunes and Quicktime needs to be shot at birth as a horrendous insult to humanity.

Surely, if you want something that plays on a wider array of devices you should be picking Microsoft's WMA Lossless? WMA is supported way wider than ALAC. And even a basic skim of the Wiki article shows FLAC supported on many more different types of devices than ALAC.

Or are you just counting up how many devices Apple have sold and calling that a "broad array"?
umm, lets get a grip, shall we?

I use mp3 for lossy, nearly everything in the world uses that. so, no argument there, yes?

I used FLAC for lossless. it made sense at the time, b/c it was the best codec given a variety of factors, including how it technically works, tagging, and especially universality.

but now that apple has made ALAC freely available, its just a matter of time until everything supports it. most important to me is that winamp now supports it, AND iTunes / idevices do. istuff was never going to support FLAC, or WMA for that matter.

so, for my purposes, it is the best solution. nothing else lossless that I know of would just easily and natively work with both winamp and istuff. and again, over time, alac will become nearly as universal as FLAC.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing