View Single Post
Old 14th December 2011, 00:29   #20
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitorami View Post
3) Finally, on the MD2 source code - the reason that it is not available is that AOL bought winamp and holds the rights. It is not available, period.
I don't know the proper reason for MD2 not being open-sourced (though it's probably no one cares / thought of it / cba / not worth it as explained later) but that comment is quite not correct since the MD1 source code was released under AOL / Nullsoft ownership - was done by Tag when he was basically in charge of things at the time if i remember correctly as people kept asking for AVS and Milkdrop to be open sourced.

however nothing useful to Nullsoft / Winamp came of open sourcing those plug-ins and so i wouldn't hold out much hope since it was meant to be a test to see how well doing that would be and what benefit would be gotten back which hasn't been the case (yes it could have probably been handled better but it's probably too late now).

though going back to the point i've quoted, as Aol / Nullsoft own the code, they can do whatever they want to do with it which includes not releasing it. not what i'm expecting is wanting to be heard (and i'd love to be proven wrong) but i just don't see that changing any time soon.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote