View Single Post
Old 25th April 2012, 20:03   #122
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i think we should be careful in our terms. to me, "tags" are what an app like mp3tag shows you, (and some tags can be "bad" or corrupted) while "headers" are what apps like mp3val are meant to address, mostly fixing audio issues.
MP3Diags is more comprehensive than MP3Val, it tries to fix headers, tags, streams, and other stuff. I know you tried it; didn't like it and don't trust it because it misidentified some files. All I can say is it has worked for me and like I said, no app is perfect.

Quote:
i agree that art itself is not scanned in at scan time, and is only accessed "on demand" ie. while playing or scrolling or viewing in ML. however, if art is in the tag, ie. embedded, it does seem to make this problem worse. since art can be in an ape tag, or a id3 tag, etc... perhaps its worse yet in one or the other, depending on how winamp reads such tags, and then manipulates the data.

also, it wouldn't surprise me if two different yet seemingly similar problems are at work here:

1. seems to be the fresh scanning in problem, while the other
2. seems to be the accessing/browsing of art problem, where the more you have, the bigger it is, if you embed, etc all seem to be part of it.
Given time, DrO will get to the bottom of this.

Quote:
in my usage, i have mostly flacs and mp3s, about 415 gigs worth, and i do not embed, and i delete all extra tag types except id3v2.3 for mp3s, and my art rarely is larger than 500x500, with most being 200x200, and so i think i suffer the problem less seriously than others.
Imo, as long as WA allows use of other tags types, the need to try to support them will exist. After-all, except for artwork, it's just text isn't it?

Other users (myself included) will want larger images (embedded or not) that scale up better for viewing on high res monitors and big screen TVs.

Quote:
nevertheless, the more i scroll and browse artwork, the more my ram usage rises, and it doesn't seem to ever get released.
I see this too. For me, my collection is still small enough that I don't need to worry about exceeding the addressing limit for 32-bit apps. Those in danger of this, will have to paid more attention to memory usage and restart WA to avoid a crash, when usage gets too high. I fear solving this will be harder given WA's early design decisions.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote