View Single Post
Old 6th May 2012, 05:51   #133
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi MrSinatra,

Sorry I misread your statement. I agree distinctions are important ('the devil is in the details'). Unfortunately, we all get sloppy with terminology from time to time.
np. the idea is just to educate someone else who might not know.

Quote:
Are you saying that you use MP3Tag to just 'look' for bad tags? Does MP3Tag highlight tags with structural errors (things you can't see)? I've only used it to add/replace or remove tags.
mp3tag can report tags as "Bad" meaning that it may be able to read them, or not, but either way the tag is somehow malformed and not the way it should be in the file, like in a data structure way.

i would try to eliminate those if looking to minimize this issue. its the "tag" column with this equation: %_tag_read%[ (%_tag%)] where it will say "Bad" in red if it doesn't like how the tag is done.

Quote:
I thought that MP3Val could also fix some tag structural errors as well as most header problems.
i believe it can and does, but i don't use it for that. i've never had it do it wrong that i know of, but mp3val is unfortunately aging, and i trust mp3tag to be better at tag evaluation.

Quote:
Then I noticed that MP3Diags listed stuff that MP3Val either missed or did not deal with. Sometimes it lists things that even it can not fix.
yep, prob true. but i find diags too dangerous to use.

Quote:
I should note that almost all of these 'deviations from spec', detected by MP3Val and MP3Diags, did not prevent WA (and other players) from playing the mp3s. That may be because I use "EAC" to make high quality rips and try to only download high quality files. So, in my case, I'm not sure what the 'real benefit' is, other than making the files slightly smaller.
i have had files that when "fixed" by mp3val, sounded unquestionably better. mp3s are by their nature very robust and error tolerant, but to get the best out of them, you want sensible headers. headers allow the playback to know what the data is truly encoded at, esp vbrs or those files with multiple audio specs in the file.

i have also had files with "garbage" at the end, that when cleaned would keep the file from popping.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote