View Single Post
Old 7th June 2012, 17:26   #138
Uwe Fissenebert

OK, this is the machine:

Intel i2500 quadcore
8GB RAM
Win7 Home 64bit
USB-disk 1TB

Winamp Pro, latest version, no extra plugins, Bento-skin.

Audio-pool 1 (290 GB):

25k tracks, every track is

mp3
variable bitrate (196 - 320)
ID3-Tags V 2 and 3
cover-art (JPG, GIF, up to 512x512 pixel)
normalized (mp3gain)
tested with mp3val (no error)
ID3-Tags and cover art were added by mp3tag

structure on disk:
mp3/artist/album/track
filename of track: artist - album - track# - title.mp3
playlist of album in album-folder (artist - album.m3u)

Scanning pool 1 causes error. The scan terminates, Winamp is closed. This can happen any time as described by other users in this thread. When starting winamp again, the scanned files may be present in the library, but most times all is gone. If the results of the terminated scan are still available and a new scan is started, the scan starts at the beginning of the pool-structure (first folder). Some times the new scan dies earlier, some times later than the first one. There is no fixed point the crash is initiated. There are no additional information from me about that behavior. All is said in this thread.

This behavior is independend of hardware and software running during scan. This behavior is present since years on different machines (all Win) and on different circumstances (system, devices, background-processes, ...).

Today I made a new "pool 2" for testing winamp (130 GB), just for this thread:

30k of tracks, every track is

mp3
static bitrate (128, some 196, little 96)
ID3-Tags V 2 and 3
cover-art (JPG, 256x256 pixel)
normalized (mp3gain)
tested with mp3val (no error)
ID3-Tags and cover art were added by mp3tag

structure on disk:
mp3/static/track
filename of track: artist - album - track# - title.mp3
no playlists in folder

So all the tracks of pool 2 are in one folder, there are no playlists or other stuff in this folder, just tracks as described. This is the opposite structure of "pool 1" in many cases.

I cleared the library and started a new scan on pool 2. The scan lasted about 6 minutes, was successful, no errors, all tracks were in the library. I watched the scan with "Process explorer". During the scan there was an average of free RAM of about 2,5 GB, rising and falling. Normally I have an average of free RAM of 3,5 GB (yes, the machine has always work to do).

I hope this helps to find the problem.

Kind regards
Uwe Fissenebert is offline   Reply With Quote