View Single Post
Old 12th April 2010, 14:18   #1
rawdata

Video tag views go out of whack

Hi,
I've looked to see if there was already an answer to my question, didn't see any.

I use Winamp solely for video files, I have a single folder with nearly 1,300 movies, cartoons, vids etc.
I adopted Winamp because I wanted something to keep data on my video files and play them as well. Now I'm wondering if I made the right choice.

My filenames are the actual library call numbers for each.
I only use Filename, title, genre and year for metadata.
I keep 2 copies of the database in different folders on different drives, they get updated together.

My problem:
It seems that if I make a typo, touch the wrong key, the entire metadata view (media library) goes out of whack.
All the titles revert to the filename as when I first entered new files.
The years, genres are gone, wiped out.
Only 2-5% of files keep their original metadata but in most cases that isn't useful.
If I reopen after some time, the view has reset itself but this isn't a big plus.

If there is any efficient manner to reset this view on the spot, please tell me what it is.

I understand that the files don't get modified by entering the data but I wish they did, this problem would not present itself.
Why can't Winamp embed the data into the files?
I do this on mp3s using Tag & rename and those files can be read anywhere by anything.

Will this database be useful outside of Winamp (and iTunes) or is it some proprietary thing?

Thanks

RD
rawdata is offline   Reply With Quote