Thread: Sweet
View Single Post
Old 30th September 2005, 04:32   #29
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

Redi: I can answer assloads of questions about dx9 gfx & rendering as I program dx9 shaders for xbox360 as my full time job, although I don't know how much I can provide on the specifics of how to actually code the backend part that communicates to the API.

As for mirrored texture wrap there should be a MIRROR setting for d3dsamp_addressu and d3dsamp_addressv in the definition of the texture sampler [as opposed to CLAMP or WRAP]. This might only be dx9 but i'm pretty sure dx8 has MIRROR.

feature requests/bug fixes:
supposedly there's some way of setting the mesh size in a preset, but no seems to know how to do it, or if it's really there at all.

Code to set or alter the vertex locations on a shape. As well as affect the texture coordinates of the vertices.

video echo is painfully slow, so much so that it would seem to suggest that MD is just calculating everything twice. Considering the fill rate of current video cards, drawing the texture to screen twice should be just as fast as without. Being able to give code for how the mirror and original are composited together would be good too [instead of just (a+b)/2]. Gamma also kills framerate, which suggests that it is done by CPU, instead of on GPU by direct x.

Because the bit depth per pixel is low, using high decay values like 0.998 gives you that ugly grey mess that never quite reaches black. An alternate decay method that subtracts a small number [e.g. 1-decay] gives a much smoother fade that always reaches black. I've done this a couple times in MD by inverting the image and covering the screen with a shape in additive mode on a very low opacity.
Also, being able to change the decay value per pixel would be sick.

Eo.S.
Eo.S. is offline   Reply With Quote