View Single Post
Old 11th November 2015, 20:10   #26
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
while mp3tag enables multiple frames/values (the // thing) i find it best to stick to one frame & one value, esp for something like ratings
Amen to that.
Quote:
it is odd to me that mp3tag would write a vorbis comment: WINAMP RATING that winamp itself does not use. are you saying thats what happens? if so, odd! i consider that a bug.
Mp3tag will write any Vorbis Comment containing any value, subject to length and character encoding restrictions.
I consider that a feature, not a bug.
The user has to be sure to write the comment in a manner recognized by whatever app is used to read it.
The only time a Vorbis Comment would be called WINAMP RATING is if the column was defined by %WINAMP RATING%. (Just to be clear, I mentioned "RATING WINAMP" and I assume that is what you are referring to.)

Somebody may want a Vorbis Comment like this: MY_BIRTHDAY_IS=April 23,1900.
He would enter the data in a Mp3tag column defined as %MY_BIRTHDAY_IS%.
It would be useless in any common application, but who knows how someone uses their own metadata?
Quote:
i don't use mapping, or i try not to use it, beyond the 3 default maps it comes with. instead i enable multiple columns for all the ratings types i am aware of. this also keeps me from making a mistake of possibly entering an invalid value for the different format types. (needing to know the format type to use for data entry kinda invalidates the purpose of trying to make a single column for all ratings, doesn't it? or what am i missing?)
Nothing. I can see the value in your approach.
You do it your way and I do it my way. "Variety is the spice of life."

I don't use any columns for ratings in Mp3tag. Instead I use 1 field in the Tag Panel.
Even an old fart like me can remember to use 1-5 for MP3 and 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 for FLAC.
I rarely rate songs and certainly not in the conventional way.
For example, 3 stars mean I've burned the track for my sister and me, while 2 stars mean I've burned it for my sister only. All of my Winamp Smart Views filter out tracks with 5 stars.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote