Thread: Winamp News
View Single Post
Old 8th April 2014, 22:54   #239
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
when you ctrl-p you get a small, constrained, separate dialog pop up. I am suggesting that it would be better if those prefs were in a tab in bento, the same way media library or video is in a tab.
you're thinking skin-specific which makes that a no-go (especially as there is no guarantee the Bento skin is even going to be the default in coming versions or how the UI will be displayed).

if anything the preferences need to be reduced, but that's also a no-go *shrugs* things need to be as consistent as possible irrespective of the skin being used and somehow embedding the preferences into a tab is just a mass of work and offers little to no benefit that i can see.

Quote:
again, in bento, there is a single media library tab. I would like to, at least have the option, to have more than one ML tab.
i don't see how that would even be useful when you can only have one library. i expect i am completely missing something with this wish...

Quote:
they could be turned on/off in prefs, but I think they make sense to have on by default, so that the wiki / help / prefs / etc is all right there, right in front of you. you could also add a tab to the forums.
again it's too skin-specific (even if most don't bother to change the skin), but that's just trying to fill space for the sake of it it seems just because it's there (as you're assuming a large skin size which is not always the case).

Quote:
I believe anything would be better than the current wasted blank space to the right of the last tab. interestingly, playlists is one example where you can have it as a tab or not, so why not at least give the option for other things?
because the playlist is a functional element and many people requested it.

Quote:
but the primary reason isn't just to not waste space, but to rather provide a better experience for the user. I gather you disagree, but it is my opinion that it would be better.
adding a load of help related tabs is just not a good look imho. so yes i do disagree on that respect as that is why there are the easily accessible help menu items which follow the general setup of such things on Windows so it's consistent with known behaviour and the OS.

Quote:
I would also force users to update the winamp main client going forward. I don't think that's a big deal, as long as its done smartly. while winamp is running it should check for new versions every couple of hours, and if it find one, DLs. then, the next time winamp is exited, then started, it is SILENTLY updated, with a simple dialog simply stating "please wait while winamp is improved"
that is something that i do agree needs to see improvements (especially as the update check doesn't work as a result of the sale), though i'm not sure on having it ping home so often (as that makes it sound creepy).

as for the store idea, personally i don't think it's viable and that's all i will personally say on the matter.

and with the points in the additional post, the preferences are too crowded as-is and like at the start of my reply, they really need to be reduced (or seriously re-organised which has the impact of breaking all language packs) and not added to unless absolutely needed. plus most of the skin settings (which are often specifically provided by that skin) can be accessed via the normal preferences on the modern skin -> current skin tab (assuming the skin has been coded to do it).

sure there is a point in that everything which can be done should be easily configurable, but there's reasons why things are ini-only such as for specific use cases and are not meant for general usage (which i now expect to have a have an advanced area or warnings before allowing them - which does not work as has been seen too many times from support over the 24-bit playback option and then people don't realise it's the reason their DSP plug-ins don't work).

so yes, probably a negative response as you expected (though things may still be considered as i'm just airing my own views), but i'm sure it'll give some food for thought with the internal discussions about things.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote