Thread: Winamp News
View Single Post
Old 13th April 2014, 23:39   #291
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegdelicious View Post
There are lots of people who don't want to have all the stuff of the 5 version. What people said about you can uninstall this and that on 5 and put it like 2,9. But I dont want 5 i want 2.9
Then stick with 2.9 and zip it already, Winamp 2.xx never lost support tbh, throughout the years of Winamp 3.x and 5.x, Winamp 2.xx was just as much supported, if not more, than the 5.xx that was in active development even, the fact that most if not all plugins emphasized working with Winamp 2.xx is proof of that.

Quote:
And again another thing I must say to that guy who has winamp on WINE. Linux is for running LINUX software not to run windows software. I never had WINE. When people switch to Linux they switch and thats it. Running windows software on Linux that is a way to have serious security problems.
Because Winamp is one of those things that once you try you keep coming back to until youre hooked to it, youre a prime example of that in that you cant stop rambling about wanting it on Linux. Winamp works perfect on WINE, and it has for years. Winamp was one of the first apps the WINE team made sure would work well in WINE iirc.

Quote:
Having said that each one does what he wants with his software. You know why I love Linux? All is free and when I looked at Winamp there was always that talk of license $$$ money etc.. annoyinggggggggggg LOng Live Free Linux forever.
This is the Winamp news thread, not the ZOMFGZ MY OS RAWKS BECAUSE SCREW PAYING FOR SHIT CUZ IM A BROKE BASTARD #HAILTORVALDS thread.

Linux and most open source software gets to escape by the loophole of them being open source, and in so theyre not easy to sue the oblivion of out because there isnt anyone to sue really, that and they make no actual profit. (part of the reason most open source encoders dont charge money is for the very reason of not getting sued) so they can reverse engineer whatever they want really. Winamp doesnt have that however, since it was represented by Nullsoft, then AOL (aka one of the biggest companies ever at one point) It could have gotten sued the shit out of, so it had to pay licensees.

FYI, to play mp3s and other formats on Linux, your distribution is either paying (like Ubuntu and family does with the restricted codecs) or theyre there by legal loopholes.
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote