Thread: Winamp News
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2014, 17:25   #339
Kilyn

Send a message via ICQ to Kilyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Nothing is really 'free'. Everything must be paid for, thru the front door or the back (hidden and indirect). I rather pay a reasonable cost upfront and know what I'm buying (and not depend on the charity of others).
Yeah. Although there is charity work and so on, any ongoing things that are "free" (particularly online services like a certain social website) are paid for in other ways. If you aren't paying an upfront cost, you might find out later that there's undesirable software bundled in, or shady business practices going on at the other end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
which is why a number of linux distributions don't provide native MP3 decoder libraries for example (since depending on where in the world you are determines which patents and licensing authorities are in operation) so they don't have to pay anything and leave it to the user to download what is needed, etc. as MP3 is still a patented codec in parts up until 2017 (and with the few related patents relating to encoding support from what i've been able to work out).
Interesting. Usually the quoted reason is that they're not "free speech", so they'd rather discourage the use of them (at least in relation with FOSS, or at least to satisfy those crying for FOSS/"Libre"-only) but on the flip side I find most people using Linux are using it for the "free beer" factor (surprise, surprise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
as vegdelicious seems to be living in a reality bubble in that most of the main codecs in use (MP3, AAC, H.264 and so on) are under patent and generally require licensing to use them (which varies between formats and encoding and decoding areas depending on the codec) to avoid getting taken through the legal wringer when you're seen as a 'large' product.
On the flip side, some codec owners will allow unlimited use for a few years; I don't recall which video format (mp4?) but there is one recently that they were going to start requiring licences but then decided to extend the unlimited use period. (Also, something similar happened with GIF. Did you know that was originally supposed to be licenced as well? I think CompuServe ended up backing down from trying to get everyone to pay up, though -- IIRC because so many decided instead to remove GIF support instead. Whoops.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
FYI, to play mp3s and other formats on Linux, your distribution is either paying (like Ubuntu and family does with the restricted codecs) or theyre there by legal loopholes.
Well waddaya know, Canonical is there after all. I'd never known that to be honest, and it's good to know. It makes sense I think since they do make money off certain services IIRC, though it's less evident than with Red Hat.
Kilyn is offline   Reply With Quote