View Single Post
Old 12th December 2015, 21:21   #5
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
ok, so the first thing i notice is that it lists CAF and m4a as 0.0.0.0 in the cd ripping and format convertor. i'm assuming thats as expected, as is that the plugin/encoder does not show up in the ctrl-p prefs, right?
Correct but for the wrong reason. Encoder plugins don't get displayed in the Ctrl+P and I don't know of a Winamp version that ever did. The plugin is purely an encoder, no input plugin. It has it's own version spec. Since the first release is a WIP then the major and minor versions are zero.

Quote:
i ripped a CD track to CAF. seemed to create a file that looked right, around 12 meg.

winamp won't play it. CAF seems to be under the nullsoft waveform decoder, do i need to adjust?
I don't know of any native Winamp plugin that can decode ALAC except in_mp4 through the alac.w5s provider. CAF is a container format, not a codec-specific file type. CAF files can store other formats than just ALAC. Since a number of PCM and other RAW (uncompressed) audio waveform data commonly get stored in the CAF file format, the waveform plugins get the call. But since it's ALAC and not a waveform format the waveform libraries can't access it.

Quote:
also, can't you just put the raw ALAC into a m4a container that is already handled by winamp? i admit i don't know how it works, but i thought m4a container handling (incl creating and deciphering) was already implemented by winamp? just trying to save you from having to learn the whole m4a file spec, and instead just figure how to get the raw audio inside what winamp already does, but again i'm likely just ignorant of how it actually works.

http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net/mpeg-4files.html
I don't know of any mechanism in the Winamp API for mp4/m4a enveloping. Yes, there are some encoder plugins that already encode and transport with mp4/m4a but it doesn't appear to be external to the plugin. I have to do it myself.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote