Thread: I loved Winamp
View Single Post
Old 27th October 2020, 03:02   #11
Class316

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1_Freeman View Post
iunno, maybe i just like to customize my players just a tiny bit?
cut down stuff that i dont want? (e.g. it relying on ffmpeg/libavcodec for some of its thingies which of course adds a lot)
besides, in terms of playing vintage formats like NSFs and what have you that include subsongs, VLC doesnt have proper support (and emulation is also not great either)

with winamp (or WACUP, whichever you prefer), i can just pick a plugin, install it and configure it to my hearts content and if it sucks then i just uninstall it, with VLC you're stuck with what you're given, and i dont like that

it's weird when people call winamp "bloated" but praise VLC for the formats it includes
Right VLC doesn't do everything. Hence why I said "comes pretty damn close". NSF works better on the Winamp plugin. The sound format of the Genesis/Megadrive also doesn't work on VLC.

VLC also doesn't play blu rays from the disc. I use Leawo Blu-ray Player for that. Nor does it load up blu ray menus from blu rays or 4K movies ripped to the disk. I use JRiver Media Center 26 for that.

But big picture wise there are a few things that run as much as VLC does. To play movie files it is the main thing I use.

I mainly use Winamp for audio and while there are a few things it can do that VLC can't the main reason is nostalgia and an homage to what it once symbolized.

For movies Winamp isn't a good player.
Class316 is offline   Reply With Quote