View Single Post
Old 8th May 2014, 17:59   #59
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
however, I was just saying that for default purposes, swapping them makes sense to me but its nothing I feel strongly about, just mentioning it.
you feel strongly enough to have mentioned it a few times now

Quote:
will unchecking say half of those boxes make scans faster?
potentially it will save a bit of time (probably looking at milliseconds at best subject to the media being searched on) if you're constantly not getting any results for files. but with OS caching of things, it's unlikely to be noticeable unless it's the first time of hitting the files i suspect or doing 1,000s of files (and even then it'd save maybe a few seconds i'd expect).

Quote:
how do u change the order by unchecking one and using the custom search? can u give an example of what you mean?
uncheck cover.*, leave folder.* checked and then put cover.* in the custom field. that is re-ordering things exactly as you're wanting (having folder.* before cover.*). all this custom option is doing is adding an extra level to the pre-defined list and is working with the exact same code as the pre-defined options use.

Quote:
another related question is, say I had these settings:

checked = embedded
checked = Folder.*
checked = custom with *.*

(the rest unchecked)

lets say winamp on a file record found an embedded or a folder.* image. would that "find" end the image search for the file record? or would winamp continue to look for other image categories that are checked, (like *.*), even after it found a higher ranked one it will prefer?
as soon as there is a match, then the lookup ends. the options are listed in the order that things are attempted and as soon as there is a valid result, things are stopped. so if you have an embedded cover then it'll only look at that and it will not look at anything else.

Quote:
its def the kind of option that would be well served by a single wiki link in the pref dialog.
i was fully expecting that comment. we have given some thoughts to things (but it would not be in the manner you keep asking for), though for the time being it's going to remain with the help (if present) stored in winamp.exe/winamp.lng (which there isn't anything on that dialog at the moment) which is triggered by clicking the added help button or leaving the mouse over the control for a few seconds.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote