View Single Post
Old 14th December 2010, 10:58   #11
Ammaletu

I disabled "Check for new versions on startup" and restarted Winamp. The UAC prompt still showed up. The same when I temporarily renamed my old winamp.ini.

Now to find the source of this, I installed SysInternal's ProcessMonitor and filtered it for everything winamp.exe does. When I started Winamp, a whole lot showed up, a lot more than I was expecting. I haven't used ProcessMonitor before and I generally don't know much about the inner workings of Windows programs, but some of the files that Winamp apparently accesses seem definitely strange.

At this point I did remember the media library because I suspected that it might scan the whole harddrive on startup. There are three folders entered in the media library for Winamp to look for new media files in. "Scan folders on start" is not checked. So that shouldn't be the source of the UAC prompt.

I'm scrolling through the list of stuff that Winamp does on startup (and scrolling, and scrolling, and scrolling some more...). I understand why it would access the Winamp program directory, my user directory or the registry. It also accesses C:\Windows\SysWOW64 quite a lot, no clue what that is.

I'm not quite so clear why it would ever access these directories (none of which are the ones that the media library is set up to monitor):
* C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Antivir
* C:\Program Files (x86)\Open Office.org
* D:\work [These are my work files! Winamp shouldn't even know about this directory, much less scan the folder structure on startup. There are no media files there, I never opened anything from there. This really does creep me out a bit! This seems to happen right before it scans the folder containing the files currently in the playlist. It also does not scan my whole work folder, but only a specific project?!]

I also just tried to start Winamp, clear the screen in ProcessMonitor and then provide my password in the UAC prompt. This was the first that showed up afterwards:

11:39:47,3373933 winamp.exe 2832 RegOpenKey HKU\S-1-5-21-261571248-1939719002-2589359248-1000_Classes SUCCESS Desired Access: Maximum Allowed, Granted Access: All Access

There were only registry operations afterwards, so I guess Winamp is trying to do something in the registry that it shouldn't, right? "Desired Access: Maximum" sounds like that is the source of the problem, usually the other entries read "Desired Access: Read".
Ammaletu is offline   Reply With Quote