View Single Post
Old 1st August 2019, 15:40   #9
Wineroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyinShades View Post
I had this problem in the past as well, the issue is Winamp doesn't create separate registry entries for all filetypes. It will associate numerous filetypes with the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File" key, rather than creating seperate "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.(EXT)" keys. Also, Winamp locks the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.(EXT)\UserChoice" key, so you'll have to change the permissions on those keys manually, since it overrides the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.(EXT)" key.
That is correct: the culprit is the >>Winamp.File<< string

I figured out that yesterday by myself after dwelling into Registry, as I was cleaning up my shell menu in various ways. I simply compared malfunctioning APE with FLAC and spotted that correlation. And then tested it on APE and MPC. And also applied it to TTA. The result was always the same: the file format was released from that chain [even FileTypesMan no longer displays that info for them]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyinShades View Post
I can walk you through how to fix it if you want.
Thank you, but I already did it

But I would like to you to vet my solution. I wrote a REG; this version is for APE

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Winamp some of the file formats writes in the Registry as >>Winamp.File<< instead of >>Winamp.File.XYZ<< [where that XYZ means a particular file fomat].
; And so there are multiple entries all evoking the same settings- thus the problem of one icon appearing for different file formats.
; To break a file format from such chain these changes, at least 4* strings must be changed
;
;
;
; Assuming the there really is a file at
;
; C:\Program Files Expanded\ICONS\file APE.ico
;
; this REG file will fix the icon appearance for the file format of APE

; #1

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ape]
@="Winamp.File.APE"

; #2
;
; The additional >>NCH.Switchape<< string is preserved for the Switch Sound File Converter by NCH Software

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ape\OpenWithProgids]
"NCH.Switchape"=hex(0):
"Winamp.File"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ape\OpenWithProgids]
"Winamp.File.APE"=hex(0):
"NCH.Switchape"=hex(0):

; #3
;
;

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.APE\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\ICONS\\file APE.ico,0"

; #4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ape\UserChoice]
"ProgId"="Winamp.File"
"Hash"="ei8rl/wRiy0="

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ape\UserChoice]
"ProgId"="Winamp.File.APE"
";Hash"="ei8rl/wRiy0="

; #5...
;
; *Ferreting in Registry was ended at
;
; HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts
;
; So they might be also some other places below it, where such changes might be needed, if something goes wrong with that icon in the future.
; In order to find them a search for >>.XYZ<< must be performed [where that XYZ means a particular file fomat]

; Some more info:
; http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=454880

This of course has to be applied on top of [normally working for file types like FLAC]:

code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Winamp.File.APE\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\ICONS\\file APE.ico,0"

But a question arises: why would Winamp creators choose to chain together so many file formats together? Why FLAC and MP3 got their individual strings, while APE and TTA did not?
Wineroz is offline   Reply With Quote