View Single Post
Old 8th July 2011, 18:15   #115
SugarD-x

Send a message via ICQ to SugarD-x Send a message via AIM to SugarD-x Send a message via MSN to SugarD-x Send a message via Yahoo to SugarD-x Send a message via Skype™ to SugarD-x
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
fully noted and is why the getting started guide will be re-done (needs it anyway with some DNAS specific changes regarding authhash stuff).
Awesome!

Quote:
hmm, all documentation is by me and what's on the main site is the same as is shipped as part of the distributions and is updated at the time of the release. so currently build 19 details about the DNAS are on there (as per the matching text files in the DNAS install / archive) so i'm not sure how / why you'd be seeing different documentation from the DNAS, or is it more referring to it just being as text files rather than in the wiki format maybe?
Likely. I noticed the text file is probably not the best format in the case of this sort of documentation since it's not easy to jump to and from. Maybe a HTML file with anchored links would work better. Then you could do it the same way as the wiki pages.

Quote:
if there's issues then i really need to know and especially the details of the browser and OS being used - where possible it's coded to be browser agnostic but i only test against the main browsers (and running it from the local machine will have certain issues - something i'm looking to fix in a newer version of both tools).
The issues I run into happen in Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 for me when I open them locally. It's mostly visual bugs like extra documentation missing, or slightly jumbled CSS settings on where a few things should be. It works fine on the one hosted online though. It's likely just an issue with my computers. I get those weird issues a lot

Quote:
i've toyed with the idea of such a thing but there's just not the resources as things stand to do something like that. maybe a html/javascript builder isn't ideal but was the best option at the time it was created by fellow forum user thinktink and on the whole it does what is needed without my having to learn new ui frameworks instead of working on decent features / fixes in the tools. yes maybe having it more gui like would be better but this is why there's more html admin pages for doing things so it can be run more as a web service as it's sort of meant to be (if that makes sense). i'm not saying no to a gui and in some respects it would be nice, but there's higher priority things to be working on than that at the moment.
What I meant by a GUI-based system was for a new builder. Not necessarily built into the sc_serv2 or sc_trans, but more of a walkthrough setup program that users can install to the ShoutCast folder optionally to help them set up their config one thing at a time with explanations of each required setting.

Quote:
i see fully where you're coming from, just it's wanted that there are separate tools to do the specific tasks. yes it could probably all be merged into one program file and controlled in that manner, i'm just not sure if that would be ideal as it then means for a lot of people they'd still be getting the transcoder code when it's not needed / applicable for them. in some ways it's simpler to have one tool just for the job it's meant to do, since the purpose of the Transcoder may change anyway so having it integrated would potentially force DNAS updates which aren't otherwise needed. so keeping it somewhat modular does make somethings easier (if that makes sense).
It does. I just figured because of the similarities it might be easier, but the points you brought up do make sense.