Thread: Sweet
View Single Post
Old 5th October 2005, 12:48   #44
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
MilkDrop is a mass downloaded app and bundled with Winamp. I think it is only fair to get a minimum spec that is reasonable.

Are we to upgrade the minimum spec of Winamp too?

After much time and hassle of asking we get MilkDrop bundled with Winamp. I don't want MilkDrop not meeting a realistic spec.

Pixel shaders from what I understand are not as widely supported as you first think.

At work I have Dell Optiplex gx270 with a 2.4Ghz CPU in it. It has a 96MB onboard graphics card an Intel 82865g. Intel as well as in Dell have these onboard graphics cards of HP/Compaq most of the time.

This graphics card does not support pixel shaders.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-014257.htm

And from what I understand brand new bog standard Dell or HP desktops still come with this onboard graphics too. A brand new dell 3GHz about 6-9 months ago had this card in it. The card is not bad it can run a fair bit of 3d stuff but not PS stuff it seems.

Not really a 333mhz granny PC is it

And you want wipe out all this userbase? The 2 most popular PC brands out there.

I actually was surprised by this myself that PS support had not been added to this card . I knew on-board card are not brilliant and I know newer ones are getting a lot better and seem to be like a GF4Ti/midrange GF5 card speed from the tests I have done but they don’t it seems have PS support.

We must consider the seriously. We do have a large userbase and I don’t want to alienate big parts of it.

We have to understand what userbase we have and what we are aiming for?

Pixelshaders will be great but maybe for version 2.

I obviously have no objections to option to ‘enable pixel shader 1.1’ support but I do object to this as a mandatory requirement by default. Hopefully you can understand why now.

We are all on the same side you know.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote