View Single Post
Old 19th April 2010, 17:55   #1
square pegger

A warning about Microsoft Fix it Center

Microsoft has a Beta out of a tool called Microsoft Fix it Center. One of the things it offers to fix is the problem "Video freezes or crashes in Internet Explorer or Windows programs". Since I occasionally have streaming video freeze on me (not in Winamp), I decided to try the fix.

My warning is that this Microsoft program unregistered the Gabest splitter and I could no longer view MP4 videos with Winamp. I specifically unchecked the option to "disable MpegSplitter codec" but the program went ahead and shafted me anyway. Here are my pertinent Microsoft Fix it Center settings and Microsoft's falsely claimed actions:

Issues found Detection details

FFdshow codec Not fixed

FFdshow codec may cause potential problems.
Disable FFdshow codec Not Run

Disabling FFdshow will prevent it from running. FFdshow is not being removed.

MpegSplitter codec Not fixed

MpegSplitter codec may cause potential problems.
Disable MpegSplitter codec Not Run

Disabling MpegSplitter will prevent it from running. MpegSplitter is not being removed.

Indeo audio codec Fixed

Indeo audio codec may cause potential problems.
Disable Indeo audio codec Succeeded

Disabling Indeo audio will prevent it from running. Indeo audio is not being removed.

qt-dx331.dll is not found in DivX Codec installation folder Fixed

qt-dx331.dll may cause potential problems.

Some asides: 1.) I've never viewed an Indeo file so I don't care what happens re: Indeo. 2.) I've got DivX Pro 8 installed but almost never use it (I got a previous version on sale from DivX and have since upgraded to 8).

It took me some troubleshooting time to figure out why my MP4 videos would no longer play in Winamp. The brief solution was to verify that the file MP4Splitter.ax was still present in my XP Pro SP3 C:\Windows\system32 folder and then to issue the command regsvr32 MP4Splitter.ax via Start->Run...

I'm posting this in the hope that it will help others in the future.

Last edited by square pegger; 19th April 2010 at 18:03. Reason: minor correction: MpegSplitter not MP4splitter
square pegger is offline   Reply With Quote