Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets

Old 25th August 2017, 16:50   #161
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I can imagine, if someone wants to do some edits in some sections and then hits "Enter" for viewing the edits, then suddenly Winamp can crash, and the edits of a preset cannot be viewed anymore. Because I myself had changed only the codes for the textures and nothing else, I have no experiences with the edits in other sections than "warp" and "comp".

At least I didn't experience crashes of Winamp with some more presets by other preset authors when I wanted to see them.

BTW, I have uploaded 3 more smaller .zip-folders on Mediafire (between 11 and 19 MB), after "tiledwater" now also "untiledwater", "waterall", "waterfinal". You can visit "Winamp forever - Music forever!!!" by Sternenmaschinebine on DeviantArt, I have just edited it and added the download-links also there. This weekend I want to see my "water textures" in Winamp...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 18:35   #162
Fumbling_Foo

Sorry for the long delay, been working a bit to post a (yet another) minor update of Star Forge.

Thank you for the reply, Victhor. I must admit that I haven't really checked out the different options of skins for winamp, but I must say, Victhor, those are some killer skins . I believe its true that nobody has appreciated my work more than myself. I've logged hundreds of hours watching various revisions of Star Forge, sometimes hours at a time. It might not be because its just that good for extended viewing, but because its my own work. But I do believe the preset is so dynamic that it can almost be viewed endlessly and still provide new patterns, and so its a preset like few others. Its just never the same except for the basic center circle and periphery structure.

Hakanh, thank you for the reply as well. I liked v14 as well but I'm just not seeing it being better than some of the changes in v15 imo, at least from a personal preference standpoint, except perhaps for the border which may not be meshing with the preset overall, so I've removed that in this update. I like the more textured look of v15; there's lots more and more defined detail and more varied overall patterns in the preset that can persist longer, even though its less smooth I think the tradeoff is worth it imo. Nevertheless, thanks very much for the informative feedback Hakanh!

Also, I doubt I'll be making any significant changes to the warp shader or comp shader for a while because I lack the skills for real programming and I would need to gather more code material from other presets, test, etc. to come up with an improvement. Thanks for the tips again, Hakanh!

Like my avatar? Check out my Star Forge preset project .
Fumbling_Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2017, 16:02   #163
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Also I myself make minor and major updates of .zip-folders and .txt-files. Today I have changed again 2 URLs from http to https, a minor update, while updating a .zip-folder with images is more a major update. Today I have added one more .zip-folder on Mediafire.

I am on 1070 pages with 34214 presets and on 4688 textures for the Milkdrop Visualizer and on 782 + 888 .jpg-files for cPro - KAO and for Komodo X Touchscreen / DESKTOP.

BTW, I didn't have enough time yet to look for the mentioned YouTube-Upload by another user where I saw over 1000 pages in the Load-Menue. I know only, I had discovered the video in 2014.

Old 2nd September 2017, 21:46   #164
Fumbling_Foo

Sounds like you're busy busy busy as always, Klare . Today I have an update that's likely to be final for Star Nova (15c is likely to be final for Star Forge as well). The update features revised beat detection. Also note that 15c shouldn't have had "Unchained" in the credits, I removed all the attributing code, lol.

And, with that, I'm likely out of the preset authoring business. Permanently? I don't know, I just haven't been interested in making any more presets and I feel too dumb to come up with anything new. Sucks having schizophrenia. Even when I'm sane and not having positive symptoms it takes a toll with negative symptoms.

Old 5th September 2017, 15:47   #165
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Today I have downloaded 2 more presets, by You and by xmuzack. I think, I will see them this week.

I forgot to mention, that since April I am on 2629 skins. The ugly skins are not in my Winamps on my PC & notebook, and I dislike especially those Modern Skins (Non-SUI) which look like Metallic Skulls or like Machine Guns. Since 3 days I am on 36590 presets and 1144 pages, and maybe I will use maximal 40000 of over 52000 presets. I will exclude the very ugly presets and those presets with very annoying filenames from my usage, but I still have them in my archives incl. my ultra-archives.

Do I have only my generalized anxiety disorder or is there a real danger for our Planet Earth now? Frank and I really don't want, that our Beautiful Blue Planet with all the many lifeforms on it will be destroyed now. How would I feel, if I would hear "now it will happen"? Of course I never want to see it happen. I want to see all the lifeforms alive also for the future, and maybe also the humans still want to stay alive and enjoy all the technical features which we have reached now, incl. the hardware and software.

As next I will have dates also with a neurologist, not only with a psychiatrist and with an orthopedist. My left hand gets more and more defect, maybe soon it will not work correctly anymore. And these newer problems bring my older problems more into the background.

Fumbling_Foo, for You I hope all the best and keep strong...

Old 16th October 2017, 23:50   #166
Fumbling_Foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Klare View Post
Today I have downloaded 2 more presets, by You and by xmuzack. I think, I will see them this week.

I forgot to mention, that since April I am on 2629 skins. The ugly skins are not in my Winamps on my PC & notebook, and I dislike especially those Modern Skins (Non-SUI) which look like Metallic Skulls or like Machine Guns. Since 3 days I am on 36590 presets and 1144 pages, and maybe I will use maximal 40000 of over 52000 presets. I will exclude the very ugly presets and those presets with very annoying filenames from my usage, but I still have them in my archives incl. my ultra-archives.

Do I have only my generalized anxiety disorder or is there a real danger for our Planet Earth now? Frank and I really don't want, that our Beautiful Blue Planet with all the many lifeforms on it will be destroyed now. How would I feel, if I would hear "now it will happen"? Of course I never want to see it happen. I want to see all the lifeforms alive also for the future, and maybe also the humans still want to stay alive and enjoy all the technical features which we have reached now, incl. the hardware and software.

As next I will have dates also with a neurologist, not only with a psychiatrist and with an orthopedist. My left hand gets more and more defect, maybe soon it will not work correctly anymore. And these newer problems bring my older problems more into the background.

Fumbling_Foo, for You I hope all the best and keep strong...
Thanks Mrs. Klare, I may have been a bit depressed about my progress with making presets, but overall I've been happy with life lately. I've been exploring the world of high-end audio and the world of mnemonics and have been making good progress on both fronts, especially mnemonics. I've always complained about a bad memory, especially after I contracted schizoaffective disorder, but mnemonics is totally changing that .

I'm also worried about my brain, that I may have a brain tumor. If I could just get an eye exam, for sure the examiner would be able to see if I potentially have one because of increased intercranial pressure and refer me to a neurologist.

Also, I have good news - Star Nova v2. Its the best version yet of Star Nova and better than any Star Forge version. Like other Star Forge / Nova versions, its beat detection is so good it's almost godly, possessing a refined musicality to it. You have to look beyond the triggers and transitions into their very appearance, study the preset in motion, to get a sense of how accurate the beat detection, appropriate the musicality and appearance, and nuanced the preset is. Not every beat elicits the same response, its fluid instead of mechanistic. The preset just "knows" how to respond to the beat and character of the music in unpredictable but sensible ways. Even I don't know how it does what it does, through trial and error I've refined Star Forge / Nova to where it just works. Cheers and enjoy!

Old 17th October 2017, 15:44   #167
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Hello Fumbling_Foo,

I am so glad to see You online again after 6 weeks.

This evening these will be 2645 skins and 40496 presets (52216 in my ultra-archive). And because 4 days ago I have made sunset-photos on a bridge, I have now 4716 textures and 896 desktop wallpapers (356 by me). I will try to update wallpapersdesktop.zip tomorrow, today these will be Images4000bySabineKlare.zip and Images2000bySabineKlare.zip on Mediafire.

Some of the good artists from the Dub Techno Scene want to have their music 100% perfect, too. They upload demo-tracks on SoundCloud, delete them and upload updated versions of the same tracks a few times, before they release their next final albums or single tracks. And I myself want to have my collections more and more perfect.

Yesterday I had my date. From the neurologic side everything is okay, nothing has been found, why I have my problems with my hand.

I have planned to return into:
Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist

But I suggest to visit again also "What are you listening to right now?" in:
Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama

Try to take the time and enjoy some good music, the music of Your taste...

Old 28th October 2017, 18:05   #168
Fumbling_Foo

Yeah, I'm still around and kickin' . My definition of perfect for presets is now "good enough" / "gud nuff' " . Star Forge was "good enough" for a while then started heading south as I ran out of ways to tweak it. Thankfully I came across the concept for Star Nova. And as far as Star Nova v2 goes, here's a gud nuff' update, which cleans the preset up a bit and revises the beat detection for triggering the per vertex effects. I hope yall enjoy, at least enough to have something to do when you're bored .

Cheers everyone .

Old 1st November 2017, 15:46   #169
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Then these will be 40603 presets in the presets folder and 52247 presets in the ultra-archive. And because today I have downloaded a new random texture from deviantART and also added it to my favourites, these will be 4845 textures. I am on 272/784 wallpapers for cPro - KAO and 376/916 wallpapers for Komodo X Touchscreen / DESKTOP. I am still on 2645 skins.

A cold had forced me to be in absence for 1 week. Now I am updating again my .zip-folders on Mediafire. I have worked again on my artwork, photos and photo-edits to get my collections more and more perfect.

If for the upcoming evening I will not have enough time anymore for some good Dub Techno on my notebook with the Beyerdynamic DT-990 headphones, then hopefully on one of the following evenings I can do the Listen & Watch...

Old 14th November 2017, 04:29   #170
Fumbling_Foo

I'm glad you're well again, hopefully I won't catch a cold this winter. Being sick sux. That's a LOT of presets, Mrs. Klare. Congrats . How do you get winamp to load the presets list without hanging? I tried loading the 50k preset pack I downloaded and winamp just froze . My computer is reasonably fast, too.

Greetings everyone, I have tonight an update to Star Nova. Star Nova is the follow-up preset to Star Forge. I've simply found that the changes in Star Nova were superior without any drawbacks and fit the look better. If you liked Star Nova, you'll like the latest update more or perhaps even love it. If you didn't like Star Nova, you might like this update (but probably not love it). I know people have been asking for a darker version of Star Forge/Nova with an updated warp shader.

Well, finally, v3 is darker while retaining detail and still having bright frames when the beat detection calls for it for better dynamics. At the very least there if far less white "washout". I also added a bit of my own code (even if it's simple entry-level stuff, it just works) to improve the warp shader from both the per-vertex and warp shader categories. In part because of the upgraded warp shader / modified per-vertex code, the preset will have better form. And did I mention beat detection? Yes, that has been improved too, especially for fast music like dance/electronica, while being slow / harder to trigger for slower music. Enjoy!

Old 15th November 2017, 16:06   #171
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Since yesterday these are 40604 presets (52248 in my ultra-archive)...

Also I am on 4985 textures, 488/1028 wallpapers for the desktop and 2622 skins, after I had deleted 29 skins and added 5 other skins. I had to re-create the 5 skins as fixed versions on another way than I usually do, if I zip up a folder. But at least these skins finally can be loaded.

I was in the internet only shortly, then I went to the big discussion in real (every 6 months). But later in the evening I had some good music running on my notebook, and it is no problem for me to navigate through the Load-Menue. I click "L", then "G", and I scroll up to Your presets. With 32 presets per page currently these are 1269 pages.

From the presets folder I myself have excluded those presets which have a filesize from 167 to 412 KB. I am afraid, that they could cause a hanging or crash of Winamp because maybe the filesizes are too large for Winamp and the Milkdrop Visualizer. Do You Yourself have them in Your Winamp? Maybe You should move them out, too.

Some other presets have too long filenames, and I had to cut the filenames to get them also into Winamp_Backup in C > username > Appdata > Roaming, not only into Winamp. And those presets have to stay outside which had driven me to the nuts, more than 7300 very ugly presets with very annoying filenames by the same preset author. Also I want to use more the presets with the preset authors at the beginning of the filenames. And some dubclicates have stayed outside, too, they would have disturbed the overview of the list only. At least I have the harmonic balance with the presets in my both Winamps on my PC & notebook.

I hope, that also You Yourself get Your problems solved and that Your Winamp will not freeze anymore with so many presets.

I myself have to go off now, no deviantART today anymore. We will see us again this week...

Old 17th November 2017, 16:12   #172
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I forgot to mention, that maybe You should open Your Winamp and wait first before You start also the music. After opening my Winamp on my notebook I go into the Visualization Tab without having the music running, and I do other things first before I take the time for listening to music with the headphones on the couch.

If You use a SUI-Skin (Modern Skin with the Single-User-Interface), then open Your Winamp, go into the Visualization Tab without having the music running for some minutes, then go back into the Media Library Tab, start the music and go back into the Visualization Tab. If You use a Non-SUI-Skin with multiple windows instead (Classic or Modern), then open the Visualization Window for some minutes without having the music running, then close it, start the music and open again the Visualization Window.

I hope, the problems with the freezing of Winamp can be saved on this way...

Old 17th November 2017, 18:19   #173
Nitorami
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nitorami
Well done with the version 3. I like it how an independant structure seems to materialize in the center The rad dependant rotation becomes a bit much for my old eyes after a while, so I set rot=0 for my use.

Martin
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 18:44   #174
Fumbling_Foo

Yeah, I haven't tried waiting to let winamp process the whole list. Since I have so many presets what I do is just run a search or browse and add a few at a time, evaluate, rinse and repeat.

And Martin, glad to see you in my topic too . I'm really happy that you like v3 ! The new code snippet for the warp shader is indeed working wonders especially in the center . I'm working on a v3a that applies to a greater effect the per vertex code I've made.

Edit: And I'll look into seeing what I can do with the per vertex rotation. I amped it up a bit from the original code.

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 17th November 2017 at 20:37.
Old 19th November 2017, 19:33   #175
Fumbling_Foo

Greetings everyone, I have a new version of Star Nova - not v3a but v4, and for a couple of good reasons. First, v3 is sacred. When Martin said "Well done," I was like "mission accomplished!", and knowing that my follow up versions were sometimes a step backwards, at least v3 has been well executed. Though, I couldn't resist creating another version because I still had some tricks up my sleeve . There are some things like fps normalization that are still nagging me with these presets, but otherwise its great at 30fps. Maybe fps normalization will eventually come but not even Flexi had fps normalized the original code so maybe its impossible to fps normalize the warp shader.

Second, v4 should be at least somewhat noticeably different from v3; its more than a slight tweaking. The main difference is that there's more texture and other lighting / shading effects happening thanks to the modified per vertex code. Also, v4 has tended to give better screenshots as I've made efforts to preserve the detail lost to a bit too much effect in the color code. The preset *should* be a bit darker in its overall presentation. Unfortunately I don't think I was able to reduce the degree of the rotation much without basically breaking the per vertex code, but there are some changes there to hopefully make it a bit toned down while allowing headroom for more dynamics.

Hopefully, with all the effort I've put into cross referencing the versions and studying them, the best new version made it to publication and this publication is an improvement over the last, etc. There have been about 30 different intermediate versions going from v3 to v4, and maybe around 900+ versions from Star Forge v1 onward. Before I forget, almost none of this would have been possible without Martin's awesome beat detection code, especially in the later versions where I utilized the code more.

Anyways, I hope everyone enjoys v4! Remember, it looks best at 30fps! Cheers !

Old 21st November 2017, 15:49   #176
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Again I forgot something: After pre-loading the Milkdrop Visualizer I also let run at first 2 songs before I hit "L".

Last weekend I got my next cold, and on the weekend I was slowed down very much. I was not able to work on new images, I also was not able to write a short text. And I want to get my updated XMAS Packs ready before the XMAS Time will start on 1st December.

Hopefully this evening I can take the headphones again...

Old 21st November 2017, 18:03   #177
Fumbling_Foo

That's awesome you're getting back to creating images; I'll have to check out your Deviant Art account some time . Good luck with the headphones Mrs. Klare .

Old 21st November 2017, 20:18   #178
hakanh

I like "Star Nova v3" but I want to see only in single mode. When I hit the enter key, I see very agile movements in the middle sometimes. I think, it is very energetic. Such a situation did not exist before. (in Star Forge series)

I tried to fix it, but I can not say that I am fully successful. Can you share an edit version without that effect?

I can still say that the Star forge v14d is my favorite.
hakanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:49   #179
Fumbling_Foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakanh View Post
I like "Star Nova v3" but I want to see only in single mode. When I hit the enter key, I see very agile movements in the middle sometimes. I think, it is very energetic. Such a situation did not exist before. (in Star Forge series)

I tried to fix it, but I can not say that I am fully successful. Can you share an edit version without that effect?

I can still say that the Star forge v14d is my favorite.
Hello hakanh, I'm glad that you like SN v3 . I'm not sure what you mean by "single mode," but I may be able to change the agile center movements with a quick n' dirty fix. I'll probably look into that tomorrow or over the next few days . I'm also happy that you mentioned v14d because otherwise I would have glanced over that (and also most other) version. For now, then lets say that v14d is king as far as Star Forge is concerned . But also, you got me to working on a new version of Star Forge based on some of my more recent developments, hopefully this is a good version too . I'd say that its waay different from v14(d), for better or worse, but its what I got with what I had with the recent developments. Cheers !
Attached Files
File Type: milk Fumbling_Foo & Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v16.milk (20.3 KB, 18 views)

Old 22nd November 2017, 14:34   #180
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Oh, I meant, that hopefully I could get some time for being on the couch and listening to the music on my notebook, of course with the very good circumaural headphones. The headphones themselves are okay. Because of many other work it had become very late, and I didn't have enough time anymore. I had copied and backed up all new files on my PC and on my notebook. And because on my PC my Winamp is set on coming together with Windows and auto-starting the music (also after the re-opening), I had to take care, that the loudspeakers are on a very low volume because of some nasty people in the multi-family-house. But I had tought: Now I want to listen to the music...

I will check the newer presets another time...

Old 22nd November 2017, 16:44   #181
Fumbling_Foo

Here's a version of Star Nova with dx/dy variables commented out. I think these were most responsible for the overactive center. Preset no longer does "fancy" per vertex stuff, but still rotates sometimes with the beat.

Old 22nd November 2017, 18:44   #182
Nitorami
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nitorami
Hi Fumbling_Foo

Surprise ! Your star forge presets looks entirely different sometimes. First I thought I had confused it with a different preset, but no... then I thought it must be the music, but that would not explain such a big difference... just when I thought I must be going nuts, I found the issue. But before starting a long winded explanation, I attach a version of v3 as I get to see sometimes, so you can watch for yourself. I tweaked it deliberately to make the change permanent. It is rather flashy and maybe a bit wild - but I like it. In fact, this is the version I saw and which I commented on
Still, this is presumably different from what you had intended.

The issue is probably a bug in milkdrop. I had never noticed this before, but your preset reveals it... you should be proud of that . The problem is in the q variables: these have a a lifetime of a frame, and are normally implicitly zeroed before the code in the per frame section is executed. Therefore usually if we need values to be remembered, we use our own variables, and assign them to the q variables somewhere, preferrably at the end of the per frame section.

For some reason however, after having run a few presets and possibly done a few mashup, the automatic zeroing of the q variables goes tits up, and they are instead assigned an arbitrary value - in my case for instance, q32 is set to 32. This would not normally be a problem, as we overwrite the q variables anyway; however in your code there is a line where you rely on the previous value of q32:

code:
q32 = q32*0.9328 + 0.0666*q3*(bass_att*bass_att + treb_att*treb_att)*.5*(.001*q4);

I do not know what your intention was, but it is bad code: this is the first assignment to q32 and it uses q32, so the result entirely depends on what value milkdrop decided to assign. In case it is zero, the q32*0.9328 is also zero and superflous anyway. But it happens to be 32 on my machine sometimes, so as a result, your q32 never becomes zero but is always around 30-50. The result is attached.

Best
Martin
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2017, 21:58   #183
hakanh

Fumbling_Foo, thank you for your arrangements, but what I wanted to say was different. Maybe I need to record a little video to be clear.
hakanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 16:45   #184
Fumbling_Foo

Hi guys, thanks for the replies . Its pretty cool that Star Nova revealed a bug in milkdrop . In this case it was definitely a bug and not a feature. I had no idea the q variables were zeroed each frame; that code was definitely not working as intended at all. Thanks for the tip Martin! I've uploaded a couple new version of Star Nova with the fix. v3a is simply v3 with the problem fixed, and v4a includes some other edits and efforts for the per vertex code. Both versions seem a bit more sensitive to the beat.

And hakanh, I look forward to the video. I'll see what I can do then .

Old 26th November 2017, 19:34   #185
Fumbling_Foo

Oops I forgot to update the beat detection code in the warp shader, so the preset is faster than it should be. Here is the patched version.

Old 26th November 2017, 19:51   #186
xmuzack

Fumbling_Foo, you put a lot of work into this. Awesome job! Out of all the versions, I think Star Nova v3 is my favorite. Not too bright, plenty of beat detection and lovely to look at.

Edit to add: I love your moving borders. It's like your preset is breathing.
xmuzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 20:16   #187
Fumbling_Foo

Awww thanks xmuzack . I've done a lot of work to improve the visuals because the preset seems to have good potential for them . Actually, I've just worked on this preset for fun in my spare time, but it turns out that I have a lot of spare time lol . And it turns out in fact that v3 is actually my favorite as well after having studied it for a while. The borders do seem to add to the preset as well, glad you like them .

Old 28th November 2017, 16:29   #188
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have seen already the edit by Nitorami, today I have downloaded the 3 newest presets from this thread and also the newest "Juggernaut Edit" from the other thread. I don't know yet, if I will find enough time already on this evening or if I have to wait until next evening. Of course I should not go to bed too lately.

Hhhm... Because I have to copy & paste the presets into both Winamps on my PC & notebook already this evening, again I have to take care, that the loudspeakers of my PC are on a very low volume, if I reopen Winamp. No neighbor can prohibit the listening to the music on the very low volume between my own 4 walls....

I myself update my .zip-folders again and again. On 2 days I have edited my next older photos, and some edits are in the "WIP State" yet while other edits are already finished versions. I think very often, finally I would would be ready, and then I discover: No, I have forgotten something, and I can make it better. Of course I love to test my own random textures and wallpapers in my Winamps, and I want to have everything 100% perfect.

BTW, I could watch at least a few music-videos now...

Fumbling_Foo, hakanh, xmuzack, we all will keep our eyes open in the World Of Winamp And Milkdrop.

I want to say again to all plugin authors, skin authors, preset authors: Keep up Your good work!...

Old 1st December 2017, 03:47   #189
Fumbling_Foo

Klare, you've got a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones, right? I'm a headphone collector and I must say the hobby is very addictive. You can crank up the volume as loud as you want it and disturb nobody . When listening with others you can use a stereo splitter, a headphone amp with multiple outputs, or multiple headphone amps. I really like my Grado SR325e's and Sennheiser HD 600's, but Beyerdyanmic has come out with the Amiron Home headhpones to replace the T90's and related headphones. They're more expensive than the other's though. Lake People / Violetric also makes some fantastic DAC's and amps throughout the range of prices, and they're right there in Germany where you are, Mrs. Klare .

And for everyone else as well, I already have a new, experimental version of Star Nova - V5. Its got elements of v3b and v4 incorporated into it, along with the experimental stuff. It does even more patterns now yet still seems to conform to the music in mysterious ways, perhaps even better now. I'm very impressed with it and it looks fantastic on my primary setup, but an earlier version looked a bit chaotic instead on another setup with an HDTV. So it may look best at above 1080p - 2K (still at 30 fps). Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys and I look forward to everyone's impressions !

Old 1st December 2017, 15:51   #190
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Ooops, I didn't take the time yet to check out the other presets. But I have watched the Hakan Videos 2 days ago. And today I have downloaded Your newest preset.

When we ourselves had recorded yet what we had played on our keyboards, we used only the Beyerdynamic DT-990 and no loudspeakers, so that no sound had left our leased apartment. Later the audio mixer didn't work anymore, some elements got broken although we always were very careful with all hardware. Also my both mobile devices from 2012 had died in Autumn 2015 and in Autumn 2017 although I had used them only rarely.

Also for watching TV the loudspeakers are on a very low volume, and I want to be kept up to date with the TV-News. Many other tenants in the multi-family-houses use their hoovers also on the Sundays, but we ourselves always have followed the "House Rules": no loud music, no hoover, no hammer, no drilling-machine etc. in times where it is not allowed. But using the toilet and water in the own leased apartment cannot be prohibited.

Do You enjoy the music in Winamp with loudspeakers or with headphones or with both? Of course in 16:9 the Milkdrop Visualizer looks much better than in 4:3...

Old 1st December 2017, 17:32   #191
Fumbling_Foo

I pretty much exclusively use headphones with Winamp, as I am a bit of an audiophile / headphone hobbyist. I've got a really nice Violectric DAC/Amp setup that I use all the time with my headphones . Plus, there wouldn't be any room in my tiny, cramped computer room for loudspeakers :/.

I use winamp probably in roughly 16:9 resolution, in windowed mode at 2252 x 1198 resolution currently. Definitely the resolution (and fps at 30) affects the appearance, for better or worse, when I'm watching some presets, including my own unfortunately.

Old 3rd December 2017, 21:27   #192
Fumbling_Foo

Star Nova v5a

Hello everyone again, I have a new version of Star Nova again after just 3 days, but I've spent a couple of days testing and comparing versions to select the best among the intermediate versions. I think v5a will be a lot better than v5. I've worked on the visuals and experimental stuff and some of the per-vertex code to add clarity, reduce chaos, and improve the preset for both screenshots and motion / appearance to the beat. In addition, I have screenshots this time .

<rant>The file upload dialog says I can upload zip files up to 15mb, but I get "413 Request Entity Too Large" for zip files only 2mb in size, Grrr ... </rant>

So, I would have lots of screenshots but it seems I can upload only individual screens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb, Unchained - Star Nova v5a3 - 04.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	53642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb, Unchained - Star Nova v5a3 - 40.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	53643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb, Unchained - Star Nova v5a3 - 47.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	507.6 KB
ID:	53644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb, Unchained - Star Nova v5a3 - 123.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	53645  
Attached Files
File Type: milk Fumbling_Foo & Flexi, Martin, Orb, Unchained - Star Nova v5a.milk (23.0 KB, 13 views)

Old 3rd December 2017, 21:32   #193
Fumbling_Foo

More Screens

Edit: I'm surprised I didn't notice this earlier, but the q19 (zoom) = 0 line of code near the bottom of the per-frame code really detracts from the preset sometimes on some songs. I'd recommend setting

code:
if(below(bass_att + mid_att + treb_att, 1.5), q19 = 0, q19 = q19);

to

code:
if(below(bass_att + mid_att + treb_att, 1), q19 = 0, q19 = q19);

by opening the preset in milkdrop, press "m", arrow down to per-frame equations, "enter", arrow down through the pages of code to the bottom, make change, "Ctrl" + "Enter". Then "s", change name of preset, "enter" (instructions for those who normally do not edit presets ).

I could release a v5b with that update but doing so just minutes after releasing v5a is just silly .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb, Unchained - Star Nova v5a3 - 112.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	53646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb, Unchained - Star Nova v5a3 - 125.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	53647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb, Unchained - Star Nova v5a3 - 130.jpg
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	53648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb, Unchained - Star Nova v5a3 - 27.jpg
Size:	495.5 KB
ID:	53649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb, Unchained - Star Nova v5a3 - 87.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	53650  

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 3rd December 2017 at 22:38.
Old 5th December 2017, 15:55   #194
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

A tiny, cramped computer room would be okay yet if at least the bedroom and the living-room are much bigger so that also receiving visits of guests are possible. But unfortunately I have seen already 1-room-apartments where the only-one room is a tiny, cramped room, and then only 1 couch for sleeping and sitting is possible, nothing else. To keep our leased 2-room-apartment which has a little bit more place for Frank and me and also a few guests, we don't disturb the neighbors.

Last weekend I tried again the music on my PC with the 1920x1200 pixel monitor and on my notebook with the 1600x900 pixel display. Already during the first song I got a "Blackout" of my PC. But on my notebook I found enough time to compare the presets. The serials Star Forge, Star Nova and the the Gome Wrong by Nitorami are different from each other, in the serials themselves there are differences in the nuances. Of course I can understand, that You want to have all nuances and all other parts really 100% perfect.

And yes, already in 2016 it was not possible for me to upload a .zip-folder with 8 MB, and it also was not possible to upload a .jpg-file with 3.59 MB. That's the reason, why I host my image-collections with my own artist-works on a permanent filehoster.

Old 9th December 2017, 19:44   #195
Fumbling_Foo

Attached v5b which includes some efforts at fps normalization, beat detection, and how the preset looks in motion vs focusing solely on generating occasional lovely screenshots. Also included is the aforementioned tweak to the per-frame code. Still looks best at 30fps but not half bad at 60 . Likely to be the final version of Star Nova unless I come across some cool comp shader code.

Old 10th December 2017, 00:45   #196
Fumbling_Foo

Ah, I forgot to reply to your message, Mrs. Klare .

I couldn't imagine actually living in a tiny, cramped room like my computer room. I'd actually have to keep my computer room clean and clear of clutter, lol ! Fortunately, my grandfather has provided me living arrangements with his house and some outdoor property as well, I just pay rent out of my social security . Though, I wouldn't doubt that a one-room cramped apartment could easily cost just as much if not more, and that's not including food!

I guess to a degree I've been able to make my imagination into a preset, in addition to the ghostly but improved form in my mind's eye of the image that milkdrop generates from the code. That's really all I can do to make it better when I know how to tweak the code. The ghostly image in my mind's eye of what Star Forge / Nova could be may forever remain a phantom in my mind's eye because of my skill and the design constraints. I feel that I've gotten very close with v5b, but then I look back and see that I thought the same thing for v5a, v5, v4, v3, all the way back even to vPub of Star Forge. Its like as I'm watching the preset run, I'm not seeing the preset I've made, but what I've imagined it to be. E.g., I was seeing Star Forge v4 or v5 when I made v3, v10 or 12 when I made v5, etc. Still aside from Star Forge/Nova for a moment, I'd like to do something like a mandala that changes its patterns and overall appearance to the beat, perhaps with a shape-driven preset with a bunch of textured = 1 shapes. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot, it depends if there is any more potential for development of Star Nova.

I'm pretty happy with how Star Nova changes with the beat of the music with good differences with different music that even remain somewhat the same in general with the same beat / music. That's really been the whole of the design philosophy behind Star Forge / Star Nova now. Music paused, frozen / no preset. Music quiescent, minimal visuals. Fast beat fast preset, slow beat slow preset (but keeping in mind that Star Forge / Nova is geared fast so it will not be as conforming to slower songs than faster songs), song A - part A ≈ form A-A, song A - part B ≈ Form A-B, song B - part A ≈ form B-A, etc. As far as I know, few other presets, if not none in the degree that Star Nova does - no matter how visually appealing - really changes its form to the speed of the beat, prominence of the beat, levels of bass, mids, and treble, transients, and maybe a couple of other sonic characteristics that I don't have in my vocabulary so can't really vouch Star Nova for.

Milkdrop has plenty of visually-appealing, mind-bending, drug-tripping presets, but ever since I discovered milkdrop probably back in 2006, I was drawn to the presets that went with the music. As time passed on, I became disenchanted by the relative simplicity and relative duplicity across presets when it came to "going with the music." I felt that milkdrop was missing, at least for the most part but I wouldn't say entirely, presets with more than basic beat detection - presets with musicality - something dynamic to keep one coming back for more and more to keep a preset entertaining for more than the first few viewings. Some time during the development of Star Forge, I think I realized a truth - that presets, no matter how well done, were meant to be played for 30 seconds at a time as in the default settings of milkdrop, and my own preset I was developing would be no different by some physical law of milkdrop. (Yes, I found myself enjoying at least a few presets for their reaction to the music for well beyond 30 seconds, but maybe that was just my autistic self's attention to detail.) Maybe for most people this translated presets being a fad for 30 seconds at a time into milkdrop and winamp itself being a fad for a few years. Intensely euphoric but for only a brief period of time, diminishing in each repetition.

I don't know, I wasn't around for the golden years and the decline of the winamp community. I can only wish that Star Nova, as I wished for Star Forge, to follow its design principle as intended to be entertaining for more than 30 seconds at a time - more than a fad - that is, if it ever got well-done enough to be considered a fad in the first place. It wasn't a fad for me, but very obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even Star Forge vPub was at one time that way for me, and the same for the other prior versions of Star Forge and Star Nova. But I wonder if that was the case only because of an inherent pseudo-narcissism of staring at the reflection of my mind's eye made reality in milkdrop. My raisons d'etre for my work is that I really, earnestly do hope that I've contributed something timeless to the milkdrop community. This would truly be a sense of accomplishment for me and a source now of humble pride. But no longer will I feel a sense of chagrin because I've had to work ten times as hard for a hundred times less product because of my lack of skill and probable mental impairment from schizoaffective disorder. I created a preset that has matured with time into its present state, I have thoroughly enjoyed it through its development, and a few others in person, mostly family members, have also thoroughly enjoyed it even while comparing it to other well-done presets. I have other, much richer avenues of devoting my time, doing what I'm good at, and finding life's purpose. No - I'm not ranting at all, throwing a fit and quitting winamp / milkdrop lol - I'm just saying there are some things people are good at and not others, and being a prolific preset author will never happen for me and that's fine .

Tl;dr - But I've rambled enough. Really, it was fun writing all that. I felt I've had difficulty putting into words why I've worked on basically just a single preset for over a year and a half. Simple: I enjoyed it. Like no other preset author has, I put my imagination and determination into basically a single preset - quality over quantity effort to the extreme (and I'm not sure about the quality part was inversely proportional to the quantity ). I probably easily hold the title for making a preset that spent the longest time in development . So there .

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets