Old 26th May 2000, 22:18   #1
robos99

what does this mean??? i went to shoutcast and they used a bunch of technical crap that i didn't understand. they say it'll clear up with time? wtf. i don't have time. my station can't be on the air becasue of this error. i'm not behind a firewall or anything but my connection can be slow. its 56k but i've been told that the crappy phone lines cut it back a bit, but i've never had this problem before. should i just reinstall the server???
Old 27th May 2000, 09:02   #2
upyeronson

Yes:

I myself am experiencing the problem too. I'm on the other servers like yp.breakfree.com, but yp.shoutcast.com continues to give the 404 Error. No one has posted anything close to a solution. However, it would be nice for shoutcast guys to post a notice or something.
Old 27th May 2000, 12:04   #3
BIGDADDY

I myself have been getting the same with my relay server (Linux v1.1.0 libc5). Check your server version, the newer it is the better chance of it fixing itself. The "support" for the older versions may be dwindling.
Old 27th May 2000, 15:05   #4
vgroove

I'm getting the same 404 error. (Isn't that the 'not found' http error?) Are you all running Shoutcast? I use Icecast on a Linux box and wondered if something has been done to ignore the non-Shoutcast streams.

vgroove
Old 27th May 2000, 23:06   #5
gandalf
Moderator Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to gandalf
I'm no expert in ShoutCast, but in plain HTTP, 404 means "not found"
gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2000, 00:16   #6
vgroove

Originally posted by gandalf:
> I'm no expert in ShoutCast, but in plain
> HTTP, 404 means "not found"

Taking extreme measures and actually reading the troubleshooting FAQ file, I discovered this gem:

> * 404: This typically means you're running software that isn't a SHOUTcast DNAS server. The only supported software for listings in the SHOUTcast directory is the SHOUTcast DNAS.

But another error they mention is:

> * 2: Your server is promoting specific technology. The SHOUTcast directory is a place to promote stations, not technologies.

I guess listing my Icecast server would be promoting a specific technology.

--
vgroove
Old 28th May 2000, 03:49   #7
BIGDADDY

concentrate on the 404 info there.. that 2 would have shown up if that was the problem. I was getting the 404 running shoutcast (linux 1.1.0 libc5) Not sure if the protocol or whatnot has changed.. something to be contemplated while one idles. - IBIG
Old 1st November 2000, 20:04   #8
wooter

> > * 2: Your server is promoting specific technology. The SHOUTcast directory is a place to promote stations, not technologies.

>> I guess listing my Icecast server would be promoting a specific technology.

Check the debug forum on icecast.org. The problem is icecast, not shoutcast. You have to change some lines in the source of icecast and it'll work just fine.

If you're unable to compile the changes, you can also try running v1.3.0, it supports shoutcast.

woot
Old 1st November 2000, 20:51   #9
BIGDADDY

those problems were months ago? thanks for the reply, but I'm not currently using *nix for shoutcasting until i can find a bandwidth provider with some balls. *sniff* 5mb space, pay-for-what-i-use-bandwidth and a partridge in a pear tree. reasonable priced. this isn't one of those credit card commercials.
BIGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions