Old 19th March 2006, 09:26   #1
rockouthippie
Banned

5 litre Ford motors.

I have picked on 5 liter Mustangs as not ever being capable as a racing or rally vehicle.

Yesterday at auction though, I picked up a very clean 1992 5.0 liter powered signature series lincoln town car.

It is completely gutless, but it gets 20 mpg. You can tell the previous owner was pretty good on maintenance. This old fella has more buttons and switches than the space shuttle, but it is absolutely a very relaxing driving experience. You can drive the old boat with a pinky. And 20 mpg....

So, what do I do to this 5 liter to get a little more pedal out of it?. I know a lot of you guys like 5.0 stangs. Is there something I can do?.

It's never gonna be a race car, but it could use a little juice.

20 extra ponies would be cool.

Maybe a new chip or whatever?. I haven't played with a 302 in 20 years.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 09:48   #2
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
You could yank it out and donate it for a good cause (My 2.3-powered Mustang), and I'll show you how things are done...

302s are pretty responsive to your basic stuff due to all the restrictive emissions crap that's put on it...You could probably get more than 20hp with a K&N air intake, Flowmaster 40-series mufflers, and a BBK 65-70MM throttle body; Your basic babbles and bolt-ons...

Hell, 15-20 could probably even accomplished with just a 6" conical filter and mufflers, and the general efficiency of increased airflow could help that milage 1-2 more to the gallon...

And on a minor note of efficiency, when you do an oil change, drop in synthetic (And go full synthetic; None of that half-assed synthetic blend)...Even if you were to leave it untouched, these 302s are better off with it...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 10:11   #3
rockouthippie
Banned

Now viper, in general, and just my experience, using full synthetic in brand new rebuilds or new motors is exactly what you want to do, but in motors that haven't been run with fully syn oil, my results tell me that's a bad idea.

I think everyone should be running the semi-synthetics. This has the Ford EFI, so I can't do anything about carburation (without major fooling around).

We are talking about a $900 (retail $3995) car (that is very clean and straight), cheap juice, and best bang is what I'm after. Maybe a chip?.

I enjoy driving the rig. It's just a little tardier than I'd like.

This isn't like my psychobitch Talon, and I wouldn't drive it that way, but a couple hundred that would make it get out of it's own way would be cool.
Old 19th March 2006, 10:20   #4
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
My dad's never had a problem dropping synthetic in any of his cars, and I've actually found my 2.3 to run a little better with it, and it's probably never seen a drop of the stuff since it rolled off the production line in '93...I guess cars are just as variable as women...

A chip might work, but I know nothing about them...Electronics I can't mess with, although I know more about their mechanics... :/

How's the ignition on it anyway (Plugs and wires)? That's a practical way to get a little power that's often overlooked...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 19th March 2006, 10:31   #5
rockouthippie
Banned

She runs sweet anyway, has some nice wires. My experience with full syn is that it doesn't mix with normal oils too nifty.... makes hotspots in the heads...

But then, I'm more of a ricer. I was a ricer 25 years ago.

If you want to ask me how to build jap crate motors to 500 hp, I am the dude. A Ford? I'd just like the standard 195 ponies to be ... maybe 250 ... cheap?.

I'm not trying to make a race car, and this is a car that you would drive 5 under the speed limit.......... ???

This old fella says "road trip" even with 101,000 miles.
Old 19th March 2006, 13:34   #6
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

/inserts small block Chevy picture
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 23:11   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

This is another in a line of cars that I buy that I will drive for free. I'll give the old fella a little TLC and drive it for a while and then sell it at a profit. About $300 will make this car as good as it's gonna get and I know I'll be able to sell it getting all my money back, plus some.

Actually this car itself was free, it was the profit on the last car that bought this one.

With a little savvy, I can bomb around without spending anything. I like cars that pay you to drive them.

Even if it is a Ford

Did I score for $900 or what?. This car is sweet.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 20th March 2006 at 01:34.
Old 20th March 2006, 20:22   #8
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
looks pretty nice/new...
i think you scored...

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 21:50   #9
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

$900?

Get the hell out!

ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 22:07   #10
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

For a car that has the potential to be a pimp-mobile?

$900 = Score!

Old 20th March 2006, 22:20   #11
randman
Ol' Dirty Loser
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to randman Send a message via AIM to randman Send a message via Yahoo to randman
Yep. That clearly is a pimp's ride. $900 for a Ford product is a bit steep, but all things considered, still a bargain.

I see no stinking sig! Do you see a stinking sig?
randman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 22:28   #12
rockouthippie
Banned

Luxury cars of this vintage get very little attention at your local auto auctions. "Juan" the local autoglass dude is sticking in a new windshield as we speak for $165. The windshield had some chips and it's "ghetto" to drive a car w/o a perfect windshield. I went to "U-pull it" and got a new power antenna for $10 and a replacement for a minorly damaged passenger side control panel... another $10.

Other than that there are two "dings" One on the driver side pillar and the other on the rear bumper. I think you'd have to look really close.

The interior is blue velour and perfect.

And she purrs like a cat, starts w/o even putting your foot on the pedal.

Noone else even bid on this car, I got it for the opening bid.

Fair condition blue book is $2200 or $4000 dealer. By next week, this car will be in what I would call "awesome" condition.

It even had the leather bound owners manual and it's silver pen.

When I opened the glove box and saw service records for it's entire life, I said .... oh yeah ....
Old 20th March 2006, 22:42   #13
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by randman
Yep. That clearly is a pimp's ride. $900 for a Ford product is a bit steep, but all things considered, still a bargain.
I keep saying, it's a Lincoln, yeah that's it I had a 76 Lincoln Town car that didn't act like a Ford either.... in that it didn't fall apart all over the place.. I'm hoping this one is the same.

$900 is "change". and worth the giggle I'm getting out of driving this most civilized sedan.

It even gets 19 mpg.

I name my cars and this one is "John", because I'll feel like Jack Kennedy showing up.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 20th March 2006 at 23:07.
Old 20th March 2006, 23:03   #14
Jay
Moderator Alumni

well I think this shows that more often then not it is the owner that ruins are car not the manufacturer. This doesn't include your compact class economy those are shitty no matter who makes them.

Also, although I love mustangs and the 5 litre engine, I am sane enough to know that it isn't a racing vehicle. It is simply a fun car to drive and experience. If I want to kick ass on a strip then I will get a car to do it, not force one which is not designed for it. Although mustangs have been known to hold their own on a straight away.

Despite all this Mustangs are still a good purchase based on their cost alone compared to other sporty cars. I was thrilled that the Mustang has almost single handedly started a whole new pony class revolution this decade and I can't wait to see what other manufacturers bring to the table.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 23:17   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by KXRM
well I think this shows that more often then not it is the owner that ruins are car not the manufacturer.
You are quite correct. Thrashing mustangs has been one of my hobbies I don't think they get proper respect. If you drive them like a human, they're a good car.

I think we'd have to say that Mustangs write checks the fisher body can't cash.

Perhaps its just the fun you get from beating the hell out of it.

I have never owned a Stang, that I didn't hammer. My complaints about Fords are very tongue in cheek.

This well maintained, perfect 5.0 EFI (at 101,000 miles) engine in this Lincoln tells the tale.

This non-abused 5.0 runs as good as when it left the factory.

I could probably break it in a week if I tried.

But whose fault would that be?.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 20th March 2006 at 23:43.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions