Old 26th October 2010, 16:43   #1
davidgenes

Live transcoding from Windows with sc_trans and Line-In?

I can't figure out (even after a lot of searches) how to setup the config file with sc_trans to do a live capture from the Line-In port of the sound card in Windows.

Basically, the part I am having trouble with is knowing what to put in for: capturedevice & captureinput? Wher do I find what to put in there (I have tried the actual display name of my sound card according to Device Manager).

Thanks in advance!
davidgenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 02:51   #2
hackerdork
Forum King

in your conf file you would have something simular to this :

;;; LIVE CAPTURE:

capture=1
; set capture parameters, use the device name from device manager

capturedevice=SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
captureinput=Line-In
capturesamplerate=44100
capturechannels=2

Make sure the device name is exact how it is listed in device manager upper and lowercase do matter and well as spaces.

if you are using USB audio devices. this is a royal pain in the butt. Make sure you have them connected before you turn on the computer and the the device name is correct including if its lists #2 #3 etc next to it.

~ According to the ship's log we're down to our last 3000 vomit bags.It'll never be enough.
search the forums! don't PM me on how-to, or ask me to setup you system. you do it so you learn.
hackerdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 06:33   #3
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgenes View Post
Basically, the part I am having trouble with is knowing what to put in for: capturedevice & captureinput? Wher do I find what to put in there (I have tried the actual display name of my sound card according to Device Manager).
FIrst up, I'm assuming you're using sc_trans beta 2 ... stuffed if I know anything about the original sc_trans

assuming that
put junk in there, turn on capture debuging

code:
capturedebug=1
capturedevice=junk
captureinput=junk

run sc_trans and look at the log file - you'll see a list of valid names

code:

2010-10-10 13:06:27 D msg:[captureWin32] Begin audio devices
2010-10-10 13:06:27 D msg:[captureWin32] device [Microphone (VIA High Definition]
2010-10-10 13:06:27 D msg:[captureWin32] device [Front Mic (VIA High Definition ]
2010-10-10 13:06:27 D msg:[captureWin32] device [Microphone (VF0420 Live! Cam Vi]
2010-10-10 13:06:27 D msg:[captureWin32] device [Recording Mixer (kX 10k2 Audio ]
2010-10-10 13:06:27 D msg:[captureWin32] device [Stereo Mix (VIA High Definition]
2010-10-10 13:06:27 D msg:[captureWin32] End audio devices
2010-10-10 13:06:27 I msg:[captureWin32] Using device Microphone (VF0420 Live! Cam Vi
2010-10-10 13:06:27 D msg:[captureWin32] Begin audio inputs
2010-10-10 13:06:27 D msg:[captureWin32] input [Master Volume]
2010-10-10 13:06:27 D msg:[captureWin32] End audio inputs
2010-10-10 13:06:27 I msg:[captureWin32] Graph built.
2010-10-10 13:06:27 I msg:[captureWin32] Graph running.

when you've found the right device, set capture device as appropriate, e.g
code:
capturedebug=1
capturedevice=Microphone (VF0420 Live! Cam Vi
captureinput=junk

then you'll see a list of input names - find the right one, and put it in captureinput= parameter

code:
capturedebug=1
capturedevice=Microphone (VF0420 Live! Cam Vi
captureinput=Master Volume

note: in widows 7 at least, if your device name is more than 31 characters, and the 31st character happens to be a space (like you see with Front Mic and the kx devices in my example, well ... you'll be SHIT OUT OF LUCK to get it to work. While I've reported this bug, it's been IGNORED by the dev team - most laughable FIX so far is "get a new audio device"

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 08:42   #4
DrO

where was the report of that issue and the response as from what i read when trying to make a plug-in for someone a few months back i came across the issue and the older OS api which is being used can't cope nicely with device names longer than 31 though other parts of the OS allow for longer names and the older api appears to work on a string match (though i quickly gave up that code but would be interested to see what was actually said for sc_trans).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 10:29   #5
jaromanda
Forum King

it's simple ... only the first 31 characters will be matched against ... simply get the name as returned by the OS, and trim trailing spaces, match that to what is in the config file

it's a couple of lines of code where the match is being done now

but

THERE IS NOBODY MAINTAINING THE CODE ANYMORE

sc_trans and sc_serv are dead in the water, development wise

Old 27th October 2010, 11:37   #6
DrO

rightio, was more out of interest since i'd had the problem happen to me and wasn't sure if it was something that was simple to resolve or not (as wasn't too much info i could find when doing that project).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 15:59   #7
davidgenes

Thanks jaromanda! That worked like a champ!

BTW, what do you mean that no one is maintaining the code? Does that mean I should be using something else? I am just getting started with this setup and if there is something else I should be doing instead, I would rather do it now (before going live with anything)..

Thanks again!
davidgenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 18:01   #8
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

having done something similar recently, you *may* be able to use regedit to change the description so allowing a match. It is a complete and utter hack and not to be done lightly, but might save you buying something new.

@davidgenes sc_serv and sc_trans have always had near 0 support/development, there was a spurt about a year ago, but then all the staff got let go and it came to a grinding halt.

sc_serv1 is probably the best one to use, the most stable and only a couple of bugs, sc_serv2, well the jury is still out.

BW

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 18:18   #9
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored_womble View Post
having done something similar recently, you *may* be able to use regedit to change the description so allowing a match. It is a complete and utter hack and not to be done lightly, but might save you buying something new.
Can you describe the regedit hack or post a link to it?
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 22:01   #10
jaromanda
Forum King

time for shoutcast to go open source

I make myself laugh

Old 28th October 2010, 15:21   #11
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

what you need to do is search the registry for the appropriate device type, I was after printers, so cor you say Audio, or you could use the system option and look at the driver it is using. There are multiple files involved so check both is in order.

Then hex edit (WARNING HERE) the dll(s) in use so it changes the name using 00 as an end of string identifier.

Now this did work for the printer stuff I was doing, however

i) the anti virus program installed complained
ii) this was for a different problem
iii) I had a back up of the entire disk in case it all went wrong.

I would not advise it, but perhaps may be a solution.

If you break your system or it does something wierd do not blame me.

BW

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Tags
capture device, line-in, sc_trans, windows