Old 6th October 2007, 07:44   #1
ManaUser

Winamp has detected a removable drive...

How do I make it stop?? I don't want Winamp doing Paperclip impressions. ("It looks like yer writing a letter/Is that a portable music player I see??). How can I make it shut up and minds its own business?

I tried Winamp Lite but it's too badly crippled to be useful (It can't even edit bookmark, come on...)
ManaUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 08:07   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Preferences > Plugins > Portables > look for the USB one, and hit the uninstall button

Or with Winamp closed, delete pmp_usb.dll from the Winamp\Plugins folder.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 12:30   #3
jonrichco

I get really pissed off with this. I am often changing flash drives at work, and if winamp is open it always tries to read them. I want to kill it PERMANENTLY.

Preferences > Plugins > Portables > and uninstalling only works til you restart Winamp. HELP please. Otherwise it is bye bye Winamp
jonrichco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 13:36   #4
VanillaIce

Quote:
Preferences > Plugins > Portables > and uninstalling only works til you restart Winamp. HELP please. Otherwise it is bye bye Winamp
Umm, that's not the case with me. I deleted the "USB plugin" thingy in "Preferences -> Plug-ins -> Portables" about 3 weeks ago and just checked it now. Still gone.

In fact, I don't actually know how to add it back if I ever wanted the feature again. I have no idea why yours is re-appearing every time you restart Winamp.

NOTE: Currently running Win7 build 7100 (evaluation copy) and Winamp v5.56 (Bento skin). However, I can vouch for this method working under WinXP Pro SP2 running Winamp v5.55 (Bento skin).
VanillaIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 14:51   #5
JonnyMac

Quote:
From the Common Issues section of the Troubleshooters Sticky...

How to stop Winamp from managing external usb hard drives
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=268729
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=266823

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 18:27   #6
jonrichco

Same old same old

The same happens with this fix on a new computer - Preferences > Plugins > Portables > and uninstalling only works til next Winamp boot. However, looking at one of the links above, deleting pmp_usb.dll or renaming it in C:\Program Files\Winamp does seem to work.

See http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=266823
jonrichco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 19:13   #7
DrO

there is a proper UI method (been in there since an early 5.5x build) for adding items to the black-list via preferences -> portables and 'configure' for the USB plugin.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 10:09   #8
TimeWaste

Theres a problem with uninstalling that plugin. Just remove it manually from the folder and it works.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2632173#post2632173
Don't know why, but I can't make this url clickable, otherwise you can only read "url submitted by user".
TimeWaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 04:13   #9
Binarialize

Not this solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
there is a proper UI method (been in there since an early 5.5x build) for adding items to the black-list via preferences -> portables and 'configure' for the USB plugin.

-daz
FTR I tried this and it doesn't work (at least for me). After getting the annoying question yet another time for an external disk, I followed this method. The drive was already listed as blacklisted, with the option to "un-blacklist".

I uninstalled the plug-in, but didn't test its efficacy yet.
Binarialize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 19:39   #10
mjbrown

When I installed Winamp 5.63 on Win7 last night, I wasn't sure whether the USB plugin would be useful. The installer didn't really make it very clear what it was for, and how it differed from the support for iPods and other PMPs. So I chose to install it and see what it was about.

I configured a media library and let it shuffle play all night, minimized. When I awoke this morning, there was a frozen dialog on the screen saying that Winamp has detected a removable drive, Z: (SYSTEM_DRV), and asking if I wanted to use it. I was unable to click on anything, though; Windows just told me that Winamp was no longer responding asked if I want to close it or wait. I waited a bit, and even tried bumping its thread priority, but nothing happened, so I eventually closed it.

SYSTEM_DRV is a partition on my boot drive, of course, but it does not normally have a drive letter associated with it, so I don't know how the plugin detected it as Z:. Maybe it has something to do with the daily backups that get made on my system. Regardless, the plugin should probably be updated to ignore SYSTEM_DRV, even if it has a drive letter assigned. The cause of the lockup should also be investigated. Maybe it happens if the drive letter is unassigned before the dialog is answered?

Anyway, for now, I went ahead and uninstalled the plugin.
mjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 20:01   #11
DrO

the purpose is to access things over 'normal' drives i.e. usb mass storage.

there's a config option which allows the usb support to ignore specific drive letters to deal with the main complaint you're raising. is accessed via preferences -> plug-ins -> portables and then the 'usb' option and on there you then blacklist things.

as for the 'lockup', that's due to the messagebox having locked the main ui thread which with it being left for hours would cause the effect seen - it generally needs to be cancelled within a few minutes of it appearing.

-daz
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:17   #12
mjbrown

The blacklist window does not list "Z:" at all. Like I said, SYSTEM_DRV is not normally assigned a letter. I don't know why or how it got to be "Z:". Maybe it's temporarily assigned just long enough to make backups of that partition, and Winamp noticed the assignment at that time.

Even if it's assigned a letter at some point, that partition is not on a USB drive anyway. Shouldn't the plugin know that?

So does this happen whenever a partition is assigned a drive letter while Winamp is running, regardless of the drive's type or location? Does the same thing happen when drive letters are assigned to folders or UNC paths via SUBST?

Rather unfortunate about the dialog locking up the main UI.
mjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:42   #13
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbrown View Post
The blacklist window does not list "Z:" at all. Like I said, SYSTEM_DRV is not normally assigned a letter. I don't know why or how it got to be "Z:". Maybe it's temporarily assigned just long enough to make backups of that partition, and Winamp noticed the assignment at that time.

Even if it's assigned a letter at some point, that partition is not on a USB drive anyway. Shouldn't the plugin know that?
well it must have been listed at some point to have triggered and pmp_usb handles any local drives be they on an ide connector or a sata connector or via usb - i don't remember anything in the OS api allowing that and this is how the plug-in has worked since 2006 (yes it probably doesn't sound right but if that's all that can be obtained then with exclusion and how the OS works then it's working as it can).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbrown View Post
So does this happen whenever a partition is assigned a drive letter while Winamp is running, regardless of the drive's type or location? Does the same thing happen when drive letters are assigned to folders or UNC paths via SUBST?
all i know is it should only happen when a drive partition is announced.

i don't think the plug-in is suitable for what and how you've previously described you use Winamp - it's really for small mp3 players which appear like a drive in Windows and yes it can be used for doing things with other drives (since as said above there's no way to differentiate) but it's not recommended, hence the exclusion options which only provide what is known to the system at the time of querying the drive partitions in the system.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support