Old 30th March 2011, 02:12   #1
xvakon

Not your typical audio, but no video playback thread

First, a little background:
I have a mini-itx pc that I used a few years ago primarily for playing mp3s and music videos. It played them all through winamp with no issues. I recently dug it out of the box and replaced the aging 40gb hdd with a new 320gb one, so naturally, I had to reinstall everything. The rest of the hardware is unchanged.

The problem now is when playing videos. Avi's run fine, but when playing mpg's (and only mpgs), the audio plays, but the video is either blank or just crap leftover from whatever was rendered under the video window. This issue is isolated to just winamp though, as playing the same files in any other media player runs great.

Thinking maybe it was just a crap install, I reinstalled the OS (win xp), drivers, codecs (divx and xvid) and winamp itself, but nothing else and got the same issue.

I have also tried various video related plugins to try to get it to work. Results ranged from crashing winamp to constant audio skipping. The best luck I've had is by using the MPlayer video decoder. By using that and checking the override box, I get video, but it's all scrambled. By turning up the postprocessing up a notch though, the mpg's will play, but all videos (mpg's and avi's) play with much higher cpu usage. Winamp can handle the older videos that I have with lower bitrates (1300ish), but more recent videos with higher bitrats (2700ish) will max out the cpu and result in slower video playback and a/v going out of sync.

Other things to mention:
- Winamp version 5.61
- The directshow plugin has mpg's correctly listed.
- I have used both the drivers that came with the pc, and updated ones from the manufacturer with no change.
- Likewise, I have used older and updated codecs with the same results.
- The files are not corrupted in any way because they are direct copies from another pc that plays them fine.
- With the exception of the video plugins I tried for troubleshooting mentioned above, no other plugins, skins, etc. were used.
- DxDiag attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt DxDiag.txt (33.6 KB, 459 views)
xvakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
codec, cpu, video