Old 16th February 2013, 21:12   #1
Lanonym

Rescanning watchfolders causes crash

It's not an easy job to manage a decent-sized library like mine, some 220gb, especially with just 2gb of ram, but still. I always add things to my watchfolders and never scan them with winamp since it always crashes when I do that. I usually circumvent this by downloading new things in some other folder and adding it to the local media library, so that it scans JUST the NEW folder instead of the old ones. Lately though, it doesn't even add new folders ( it stopped working when the folder count reached 66 ( some contain very little content anyway, like a single album ).

So, since adding new folders isn't working I tried to rescan the watchfolders. I shut down everything that could hinder the process ( e.g. every non-critical process ), and doing so allocated some 1.6gb of ram to the system for use. When I started the rescan available ram went down to 4mb ( and then less ) followed by winamp crashing/disappearing. I'm use to winamps quirky goofiness at times, but this got me nowhere since the number of songs in the library stayed the same, nothing was added, so that's a bit disappointing.

BASICALLY, how can I make it so that winamp doesn't search and keep in memory while doing so ALL the data in ALL the watchfolders, but just folder per folder. Like, search one folder for music, add them to the library ( or not, if they already exist ( as is the protocol with winamp anyway ) ), free the memory, restart with next folder in line ? Or some other solution maybe ... I'm sure lots of you people use the local media library and have encountered this probably.

Also, with the older version of winamp, the index.dat and playlists were stored in %appdata%\winamp\gl\ I think, but that doesn't exist with the new release. I always, ALWAYS, backup that folder in its entirety because oftentimes, my playlists and media library ( and history ( and everything else ) ) just vanish into thing air, and so I use the backup to put things back in place. Since I haven't backup anything up for a month ( because I don't know where this stuff is stored ( probably in the installation folder but eh it's better to ask you guys ) ) I'm kinda worried about losing all my shit again but now without backups, so, you guys know where that stuff is stored now ?
Lanonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 14:08   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Starting with your last point.... the folder you are looking for is %appdata%\winamp\ml\ NOT \gl\. Though it makes more sense to backup the %appdata%\winamp\ folder level as you get all the winamp settings and the main playlist as well then.

As to scanning your library. There are a few things that can trip up a scan. And some reading of this forum you will find some huge threads dedicated to the issue.

One is corrupted audio files. A rare file can crash Winamp. So if you find your scan crashes at the same point every time, then check the files being scanned are not corrupted.

Another issue that seems to be appearing is the use of huge embedded artwork. This seems to cause Winamp problems in some odd situations.

Some advice to work round that is to scan your library in chunks. Use drag and drop to drop chunks of your library tree into Winamp for adding to the library. Each new chunk added, close Winamp. This will save the library. Then reopen winamp and add another chunk. Carefully note when Winamp crashes.

Once everything is in your library you should be fine. The initial scan seems to be the most trouble. My library is more that twice the size of yours and I can complete a full rescan on various PCs around my house without hassles. (Though I rarely use embedded artwork)
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 17:59   #3
Lanonym

Well that's weird, it has always been the case for me, the crashes.

If a given folder is large enough ( I usually store music in chunks, some folders contain a single album, others may contain upto 8gb of music etc. ( what I still haven't included is a 60gb folder which always causes winamp to consum all the ram and crash ).

I don't think it's a regular crash, but rather, some recursive sort of searching for folders ( which can be quite extensive ( e.g. thousands of tracks in one folder ) and what causes the crash is well, the system is left with no ram. Maybe if I had like a 16gb ramstick then maybe it wouldn't crash. The point I'm trying to make is that the crash is because of ram issues and memory not being freed/some recursive looping/etc.

Anyway, my point was that I want to add them in chunks as you said. So I basically just remove every folder from the watchlist and just add them one by one ? All 66 of them ? Seems kind of a bother eh. But if that's the only option then fine. Also, now, even if I add folders in the local library, the files aren't being added, which is strange since the folders aren't already included in the library/are new/contain valid files( with no artwork and the like ).

And nah man, the %appdata%\winamp\plugins\ml thing was for older versions, the new version (5.63) doesn't save it there, or in %appdata% at all.

edit:also, if you could link the threads that are resolve and having to do with the new version ( or not if it's not relevant ) will be of great help.
Old 17th February 2013, 18:36   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanonym View Post
Well that's weird, it has always been the case for me, the crashes.
Could be that you have always had a few damaged files that trigger the crash?

Quote:
I don't think it's a regular crash, but rather, some recursive sort of searching for folders ( which can be quite extensive ( e.g. thousands of tracks in one folder ) and what causes the crash is well, the system is left with no ram. Maybe if I had like a 16gb ramstick then maybe it wouldn't crash. The point I'm trying to make is that the crash is because of ram issues and memory not being freed/some recursive looping/etc.
The theories have been based around corrupted files and/or huge embedded artwork. Go and scroll back in the forum a bit. Or search for "library crash artwork" or similar. You will then see various theories, investigations and ideas that have been found before.

Quote:
Anyway, my point was that I want to add them in chunks as you said. So I basically just remove every folder from the watchlist and just add them one by one ? All 66 of them ? Seems kind of a bother eh. But if that's the only option then fine.
You don't need to empty your watchlist first. Just drag and drop folders in in batches. Or selective "Add to Library" browsing. After each successful scan CLOSE WINAMP. WAIT for the memory to be fully released. Then reopen Winamp. (Watching Taskmanager will let you know when Winamp is ready to be restarted)

Yes it is a pain to do this like this, but there is something in your folders Winamp doesn't like. So you have to be gentle with it.

Once the initial scan is done of all the folders, then you are fine. A rescan does not have the same problems. Yes, at the end of this you will have a watchlist that now has lots of extra entries in it - but this is fairly easy to clean up.

Quote:
Also, now, even if I add folders in the local library, the files aren't being added, which is strange since the folders aren't already included in the library/are new/contain valid files( with no artwork and the like ).
I am not sure what you mean here? Please explain further.

Quote:
And nah man, the %appdata%\winamp\plugins\ml thing was for older versions, the new version (5.63) doesn't save it there, or in %appdata% at all.
You don't say which OS you are running or how you have your Winamp setup. There is a Sticky about posting OS version as well as plugin lists. The fact you are missing this data is why most people are not helping you.

I can assure you that Winamp stashes its data in that folder unless you have installed in the old Win9x compatible "single user mode". If that is the case you may find this data in your Winamp Installation Folder.

I am running 5.63 on various PCs. Win7, 2003 and XP. And the details you are looking for are in one of the two named locations.

Quote:
edit:also, if you could link the threads that are resolve and having to do with the new version ( or not if it's not relevant ) will be of great help.
The search is your friend. There is no "solution" as the bug has never really been tracked down by the devs in a successful manner. What has been found are community solutions by us fellow Winamp users. This is where the "scan in batches" solution has been worked out. It has also been noticed that once you have everything in your library a RESCAN does not seem to cause any issues.

Just for reference - I've just been setting up a new laptop and scanning my music back into Winamp on that laptop. There is close to a Terabyte of music spread across various network shares in the house. That laptop got through the scan without crashing. Most of my music is now FLAC and I rarely embed images. Most of my music is ripped from CD though there are a few naughty torrents in there as well.
Old 17th February 2013, 20:34   #5
Lanonym

I thouroughly read your post and basically disabled the 'Read file metadata tags if available' option from local library (pretty much the first thing I could think of ) and it worked without a problem, so thanks a lot ey !
Old 17th February 2013, 23:16   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
in watch folders, you have to turn off metadata "guessing" in two places, as well as tell winamp NOT to use artist for albumartist. thats the only way to see the reality of whats actually in the tags.

have you scanned all your files yet? i can watch folder nearly 500gigs with NP.

another issue may be embedded art. do you embed art?

i would run all your files thru "mp3val" to check headers. and then thru "mp3tag" to check for bad tags.

if your files come up clean there, all i could think then is some strange character in the tags or filename was tripping up the guess feature.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 11:44   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

That is great to hear you have had a successful scan. And it shows that it is something in the tags causing your problem.

As MrSinatra suggests, feed some of your music through mp3val and check the headers. It sounds like you have some corrupted data in there. Be careful with mp3val as it will want to change your music so best to have a backup and don't just do a "fix everything" but double check as you work along.

To narrow down the tracks that are causing problems, I have a suggestion. Open the Media Library window. Now select a few dozen albums. Right Click for the menu, "Read Metadata on selected items". This will then read in the MP3 tags and update the library. Again work in batches and see if Winamp want to crash.

I'd start with the ARTISTS list and select artists A to E. This will leave you a good heap of tracks in your Library on view. Then select these all and "Read Metadata on selected items" (Remember CTRL+A will work in that window top select all the tracks)

When you get a crash you then know it is in the letters A to E and you can then do a more selective reading of the metadata to narrow the bad tracks down that need feeding through MP3Val.

Or be brave and select ALL the tracks in one go and "read metadata on selected items" and just see what happens.

TBH - I would not be surprised if you can now read in all the metadata this way and not actually have to go back and "fix" those files now. It is mainly on the first import that the crash seems to occur. Rescans seem to have less trouble.
Old 22nd June 2013, 23:38   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
this thread reminded me of these old issues, maybe the people having the crashes could try 5.7 and see if they can generate a crash report?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=2945306

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support