Old 22nd May 2002, 01:48   #1
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Fans fans and more fans.

Woke up this morning after a good nights sleep thinking everything in life is good and well, made a coffee and breakfast, sat down and switched the puter on and........

WURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

WTF???

My beloved puter sounded like a busted food processor...

Opened up the case and couldnt see anything touching any of the fans, so switched it back on and had a look while it was running...

Sounded like one of the fans had stuffed up so i began testing each one (7 in total)..After 10 mins of stuffing around i found it was the little fan on the northbridge chipset causing the noise.

So i unplugged it and cleaned it out, put a few drops of sewing maching oil in it and plugged it back in...

WURRRRRRRRR

So i unplugged it, had another look and couldnt see anything wrong with it so put it down to a shot bearing.

Im currently running without the fan on the northbridge and it doesnt seem to affect the temp one bit, it has a decent heatsink on it.

So what i'd like to know is this...

ASUS are reputed to make good motherboards, all the components they use are of a high quality, and their layout is always up there with the best....So why do they bother putting a dinky little sleeve bearing fan on the northbridge if its gonna die after a few months??? I mean video card manufacturers use good quality ball bearing fans to go on the heatsinks, we use ball bearing fans for the cpu fan....

This isnt the first time i've heard of this happening on asus socket a boards using the kt266a chipset either.

I'm probably gonna get a decent ball bearing fan in a few days but i might not bother if temp isnt an issue (theres an 85mm case fan right near it)...

Has anyone here had this happen to them before??
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2002, 02:12   #2
John M
Puts the Cuss in General Discussions
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to John M
just a question, why are you using 7 fans instead of water cooling?

missyob made me post this.
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2002, 02:21   #3
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Water cooling's great for keeping the cpu cool, but i had to install more fans to keep everything else from overheating.

I'd still need an intake fan under my hard drives and an exhaust fan near the video card so it runs cool too. I figure theres no point in using water cooling when there isnt a problem with cpu overheating. It is something i might look into when i build my next system though.
Old 22nd May 2002, 03:21   #4
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nofx Guy
i need watercooling..my cpu fan sounds like a 747 taking off....

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Nofx Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2002, 03:27   #5
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I used to use a GlobalWin WBK38 hsf, But the whine of the 7000rpm fan pissed me off, so i switched to a 5500 rpm fan on the same heatsink, quietened it down a lot, average temp only rose 3 degrees...
Old 22nd May 2002, 23:46   #6
John M
Puts the Cuss in General Discussions
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to John M
Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo The Freak
I figure theres no point in using water cooling when there isnt a problem with cpu overheating.
not necessarily. the point of watercooling is to get the CPU heat out, doesnt matter if theres an overheating problem or not. keeps everything else cooler.

missyob made me post this.
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2002, 00:05   #7
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

You coudl alwyas downgrade your machine to one that does not have such a powerful CPU
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2002, 01:00   #8
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

Location: The box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down the street from Jerry's bait Shop. You know the place.
Send a message via Yahoo to jon_joy_1999
Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
You coudl alwyas downgrade your machine to one that does not have such a powerful CPU
Ya im sure he really wants to downgrade his computer.
hurrr

jon_joy_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2002, 14:36   #9
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Like i said, cpu temp isnt an issue...Mines overclocked and runs in the low 50's so its fine.

Im looking forward to upgrading again in the near future though. But i'll be going through the same process again. Buy the stuff, get it home, put it together, benchmark, overclock, benchmark more....
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist