Old 4th September 2011, 20:09   #1
pchestna

Proper shuffle or shuffle playlist

I have noticed that the 'Shuffle All' feature does not play every item in the playlist before replaying an individual song. This is not my interpretation of this feature. I think it should randomly play every song in the playlist once and then either stop or maybe randomize the list again.

There are at least two possible ways of 'fixing' this. One would randomize the playlist in memory and play it in order and then repeat that process or stop. The other would add the ability to shuffle a playlist in place without playing it and save/display it in the randomized order instead of the default alphabetical order.

Thanks,
Pete
pchestna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 12:35   #2
zackbuffo

That's my point for years!

It's the same issue as in the PC-Winamp. It doesn't matter how you define "true shuffle" or "true random" - the point is, I want to hear ALL songs on my PC/Android-Device and not

Song X plays: 4 - Song Y plays: 0

I like all the music on my device, so let's hear it.

And as pchestna pointed out, it's not a major programming-challenge to check what song was already played! Maybe you just do a "randomize list" under the hood...

But thanks anyway, DEV-Team, for the WA for Android App! I use it about every day! BIG

Ich suche jemand in Deutschland, der seinen TAMA Starclassic Maple Kesselsatz tauschen möchte BD:22, TT:14, 12, 10. Ich bin mit dem Set sehr zufrieden, habe mich aber an meiner Lackierung "Tequila Sunrise" sattgesehen. Das Set ist von 2002, gepflegt und wurde ausschließlich in Cases transportiert. Bei Interesse bitte PM an mich. Immernoch aktuell in 2018!!!
zackbuffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 12:40   #3
DrO

the desktop client does do a randomised list under the hood, but if you close it, make changes to the playlist then it will re-shuffle that list (as per the preferences options) and can then re-play the same songs. just playing thought without making any changes to the current playlist editor contents should (and has done from my testing over the years), not re-play the same song again until all other ones have been.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 13:06   #4
zackbuffo

Oh, that's very interesting to hear about the PC-Winamp behaviour. I have to check that.

If I look at the answers in my earlier posts about that topic and my personal experiences at the 2.x and early 5.x-times, I didn't expect any change in that...

But anyway, I'd realy like to see a "solid" (for my point of view) shuffle mode in WA for android. As I said, I use it about every day and - without changing the playlist - I do hear some songs for the second, third time and others at least not yet.

Btw, is skip forward/skip backward already kind of a "change to the playlist"? Seriously asking...

Ich suche jemand in Deutschland, der seinen TAMA Starclassic Maple Kesselsatz tauschen möchte BD:22, TT:14, 12, 10. Ich bin mit dem Set sehr zufrieden, habe mich aber an meiner Lackierung "Tequila Sunrise" sattgesehen. Das Set ist von 2002, gepflegt und wurde ausschließlich in Cases transportiert. Bei Interesse bitte PM an mich. Immernoch aktuell in 2018!!!
Old 6th September 2011, 13:13   #5
DrO

no idea about WfA handling - i'm not a smart phone owner and don't have any intention of doing so until my current phone dies. only replied as i could answer the desktop question.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 09:09   #6
zackbuffo

I have to bring this topic up once more, because it annoys me about every day. Once or twice a week I load a completely new set of songs (~200) on my mobile.

Yesterday I started over again and got a new record: During playing the first 15 songs in shuffle mode, I heard one of them three times and another one twice.

This is definitly a BUG and not a feature, like "Who said, shuffle must not repeat songs before playing all of them once.". It's not a question of defining shuffle, random, whatever, but of sense. Does this behaviour make sense?

Maybe one of the dev-team could explain the concept of that kind of shuffle-handling...!?

Old 27th February 2013, 00:09   #7
Twodordan

Unhappy

I have made another thread about this, about a year ago and no answer. ( http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=344670 )

I keep coming back and checking because there are no smartphone music players that offer a "shuffle playlist" function. Why doesn't anyone want to get an edge in the market and implement one? It's dead easy.

It's funny how this is common sense and yet the winamp people are completely ignoring us. My only conclusion is that these forums are completely void of winamp staff. Because you can't be human and not respond to this.
Twodordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 02:11   #8
Twodordan

Talking

Good news everyone!

After some really thorough searching, I have found this little gem: "Just Playlists" https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....justplaylists

It's nowhere near as feature rich as Winamp, but it sure gets the job done better!

You can browse your folders, add whatever songs or folders you want to your playlist(s), SHUFFLE THE PLAYLIST, save it, and off you go!

No tracks will be played twice and it always remembers where you left off. Also has built in functionality for the headset control. Can also do streaming but I don't do that shit. Also it's free and no ads.

Oh and one more thing, Winamp staff, if you don't like me linking some other person's more competent app here, THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULD NOT IGNORE US.
Twodordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android