Old 17th May 2005, 16:03   #1
Mooselips87

Activex Controls

your current security settings prohibit running activex controls on this page. as a result, the page may not be displayed correctly

this message pops up when i press pritty much any button on winamp >> which it did not previously >> for instance the playlist button, or playing songs >>

any way i can stop this happening???
i've already changed internet options to allow activex controls, so that is not the problem

post soon
Mooselips87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 19:14   #2
JonnyMac

Which version of Winamp are you using? That may be related to the "Now Playing issue". However, I am rather doubtful of that because, AFAIK Winamp does not natively use ActiveX.

Maybe this...
1. Winamp > Ctrl+P
2. General Preferences > Media Library
3. uncheck 'Do not allow web content to execute or download Java/Javascript scripts and ActiveX content'

Alternately you can right click on Now Playing (from the ML) and check 'Allow Java/Javascript scripts and ActiveX content'

The "Do not allow web content to execute or download Java/Javascript scripts and ActiveX content'" setting is used for security purposes and is new to Winamp 5.04(and up). As I mentioned above, Winamp will not natively use Java/Javascript and/or ActiveX. It could be a third party plug-in using the Now Playing (AKA MiniBrowser) engaging ActiveX. If not it may be malware using ActiveX.

Also there is the chance the media you are using is “forcing” Now Playing to open. To prevent that…
Prefs > Media Library > Library Options > checkmark “Do not allow media to automatically switch to Now Playing".

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 20:34   #3
Mooselips87

cheers, thats fixed it. media library was switchin to now playing and trying to download flash player, but activex controls were set not to download

thanks
Old 17th May 2005, 23:30   #4
JonnyMac

I glad the issue is resolved. However, I can't imagine why the ML or Now Playing would be trying to download Flash Player. Do you have any third party Winamp plug-ins?

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
Old 18th May 2005, 15:47   #5
Mooselips87

not that im aware of >>

installed winamp 5.09 about a week ago, its been working fine, and when i looked at ML it had a page up asking to install flashplayer >>
i wasnt too keen on doing so so i went to macromedia site, updated, and went back to winamp >>
it was trying to play some random ad, with music with it, which was stopping me playing my own songs for some reason >>
besides, its fixed now, cheers
Old 18th May 2005, 16:33   #6
JonnyMac

Hmmmm...

Where you looking at the AOL content (AKA Winamp Music/Video & AOL Video) section(s) of the ML? Apparently the new & annoying video window sidecar "feature" prompts users to install Flash Player if it not already on the system.
See Attachment: Vid_Sidecar

However, I have been unable to reproduce the ActiveX issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vid_sidecar.jpg (62.7 KB, 302 views)
Old 18th May 2005, 18:11   #7
Mooselips87

no, the media library, although not opened, was in Now Playing, and trying to download flash, which my computer was stopping. after downloading flash an ad screen appeared in ML >> i would show you but do not know how to add attachments
Old 18th May 2005, 18:20   #8
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
If you click Post a Reply underneath the most recent post, there will be an Attach File button. Browse to your file in Windows, and click OK. If you then post, the attachment will likely be shown as a link to other forum members.

A few words of caution: attachments must not be bigger than 100K, and they must follow the extension guidelines outlined beneath the Attach file area.

Hope this helps, jmat
jmatthews112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2005, 18:29   #9
JonnyMac

If you want to take a screenshot of a specific window use the Alt+'Print Screen' key combo.

I am just curious as to why this has happened. Perhaps a media file or internet station opened the Now Playing to a rouge internet page. Anyone else?
Old 18th May 2005, 18:36   #10
ujay
Forum King

Could this be related to the old server side abuse issue hijacking the 'Now Playing' browser, have you been listening to Shoutcast streams?
I recently noticed it's still around.

Can you look in your 'winamp.ini' file (main Winamp folder) and see what you have in the lines that begin :

last_shortdesc=
last_shorturl=

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2005, 19:01   #11
JonnyMac

That what I was thinking and mentioned that (to a certain degree) in previous replies. However, supposedly Winamp 5.09 has a additional measure to prevent that from happening. From the change log...
"By popular demand all "hTtP force to 'Now Playing'" support has been removed
That is causing another issue apparently unrelated to the one here.
Old 18th May 2005, 19:56   #12
ujay
Forum King

I've only recently started to use the ML and haven't really got the hang of it yet, can't get the browser to do exactly what I want.
What with it being in a state of flux at the moment I've put it to one side for now.

AFAICT the browser can still be hijacked even if 'Now Playing' is never opened.

@ JM - I have a link to a compromised site, but would rather not put it in the wild in case people can't clean up after clicking it.
If you want to take a look I'll pop it in a PM or something.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2005, 20:14   #13
JonnyMac

It would not surprise that someone has found a way to bypass the new measure.

As for the link...[list=1][*]I don't want to spend additional time on this issue[*]Also, I don't want to press my luck with the compromised site[/list=1]However, thanks for wanting to provide the link anyways.
Old 18th May 2005, 20:23   #14
Mooselips87

heres the ML screenshot >> i was on quick reply, so there wasnt an attach tab so my little peewee brain got confused >> anyway, this site was popping up, and playing music >> overlayed over mine.
i just have to click on the local media tab and it stops playing, so i've got it permanently on that >> i don't currently use ML anyway.
don't know why it suddenly started, o well >> go figure

by the way UJ, both those command lines a clear after >> i'm guessin thats what its meant to be >> you tell me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.jpg (99.2 KB, 121 views)
Old 18th May 2005, 20:28   #15
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
You might want to download Winamp 5.091 to see if it fixes your issue.

- Fixed: Now Playing update on song change *

It is unofficial until it hits http://www.winamp.com/player but in a few short hours or days, 5.09 may not be supported...who knows
jmatthews112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2005, 20:29   #16
JonnyMac

Did you download the Silvertide Bundle? That may have been "culprit" Hmmmm...

If that is the case, then I am not too worried now.

Are you still having problems BTW?

[edit]
Whoops, jmat posted as I was typing my reply
[/edit]
Old 18th May 2005, 22:28   #17
Mooselips87

i didnt download it, it just started playing after i installed flash off the macromedia site (not through winamp) >> i dont have problems, as such, i just dont click on Now Playing in the ML, or it starts playing rubbishy cheeserock music hehe >> thanks for help, im gunna go listen to some radiohead
Old 7th July 2013, 03:09   #18
dino4520

Activex Controls

That didn't fix mine, having same problem. I've searched thru every area where your taking about to deselect activex and thru entire preferences and found nothing saying anything about activex controls anywhere. Using newest version and it didn't always do this. Started recently, within the last 24 months. Sometimes could get past it, but now just sits there loading, not loading any of the online services?

Last edited by dino4520; 7th July 2013 at 03:11. Reason: To refer to Mooselips first post about activex controls
dino4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013, 16:49   #19
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi dino4520,

ActiveX contols are used by the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser and not directly by Winamp.

Most of the old online services are no longer provided. See the thread linked below. Which ones are you trying to use?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=360236

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 01:57   #20
dino4520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi dino4520,

ActiveX contols are used by the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser and not directly by Winamp.

Most of the old online services are no longer provided. See the thread linked below. Which ones are you trying to use?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=360236
Well for starters I'm using Windows XP, Google Chrome, I don't even use Inernet Explorer but it is installed, but not enabled. Chrome is default browser, Winamp Version 5.64. I haven't had Winamp installed for a while and just recently installed it the other day. By default it is loading SHOUTcast Radio, 7 Digital Music, Mood Agent, exfm and SongFreeks. I usually use Shoutcast. Shoutcast just sits there says Loading with the loading circle going round and round. 7 Digital Music comes up, but not before showing the ActiveX message, Mood Agent just shuts down Winamp when I click on it, exfm just freezes Winamp when I try to login with Facebook user name and password and SongFreeks does nothing when I click on it.
dino4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 13:49   #21
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi dino4520,

Winamp will try to use Internet Explorer, even if it is not selected as the default browser. Good thing you left it installed. So enabled it and check to see if all the updates for the version you have are installed. However, XP's days are finally numbered and there may not be any updates and the newer versions of IE will not run on XP.

I'm not familiar with those services. There is a sub-forum for SHOUTcast, maybe you can find some info there to help with that problem, if enabling IE does not help.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 14:12   #22
DrO

it sounds more like there's issues with the IE setup on the machine than specifically with the services as multiple online services (which are completely different code bases) all having different issues is pointing more at something with IE. how to debug that i really don't know as we're heavily dependent on IE doing it's thing correctly.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support