Old 30th March 2017, 19:46   #1
sqgl

YP Javascript Player Bug

Does not work for some stations (eg mine, called RePlayScape) in, Latest Chrome (Version 57.0.2987.133). Am using Windows 7 - however a friend says my station does work in Linux for him.

SCENARIO #1
Search for RePlayScape
Play button brings up the pop-up player but I only get half a second of sound.

SCENARIO #2
Search for ambient
Play a radio station that works
Find and play RePlayScape
You will notice the previous radio station is still playing even though the player says RePlayScape is playing.

Remixing listener requests of ambient tracks live http://RePlayScape.com
sqgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 08:04   #2
neralex
Major Dude

Why is it so important that a webplayer works or not on/from shoutcast.com? Make it not more sense to put a own web-based player on the own radio website? Normally your listerners are connecting to the stream on your website. My own experience/results in the last 4-5 years with the shoutcast directory - maybe 4% of all listeners came from there. The rest has tuned in over the radio website.
neralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 09:13   #3
sqgl

Quote:
My own experience/results in the last 4-5 years with the shoutcast directory - maybe 4% of all listeners came from there. The rest has tuned in over the radio website.
Many of the remaining 96% first discovered you via YP. Once a station is discovered via YP a user may only then go to the website or bookmark the URL.

Since other stations work via YP and mine does not, it is safe to assume listeners looking for new stations will skip mine rather than find its web site (especially since no station is even linked to via YP).

Old 2nd April 2017, 09:34   #4
sqgl

Bump

Old 2nd April 2017, 11:45   #5
neralex
Major Dude

It works on Chrome 57.0.2987.133 x64 win7 and win10.
Old 2nd April 2017, 13:57   #6
sqgl

Quote:
Originally Posted by neralex View Post
It works on Chrome 57.0.2987.133 x64 win7
That is what I have here and it isn't working on my station (and about one in five stations).

Did you try it on my station in particular?

Old 2nd April 2017, 15:16   #7
neralex
Major Dude

Your both scenarios are working on my end without any issue.
Old 7th April 2017, 14:44   #8
sqgl

Strange, my station (and about a quarter of other stations eg dnbradio) also fail on my and my housemate's computer running Win7, Chrome, but work on my spare laptop using FireFox.

Am particularly suspicious that I have very few listeners via agent "MPEG OVERRIDE" anymore (which denotes a browser embedded player).

The problematic computers can connect OK via the embedded player on the station website page and via tunein.com. This defies all logic I can think of.

Am seeing if I can duplicate this problem on friends' computers. Since this thread is quiet I am presuming this is not happening to others in the forum.

Old 7th April 2017, 17:27   #9
neralex
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqgl View Post
Am seeing if I can duplicate this problem on friends' computers. Since this thread is quiet I am presuming this is not happening to others in the forum.
You got it. Done? Maybe you should spend more time in your website/template instead to complain about cosmetics.
Old 7th April 2017, 18:05   #10
sqgl

> Maybe you should spend more time in your website/template instead to complain about cosmetics.

I think you misunderstand: my website is not the one with the misbehaving embedded player. The shoutcast one is (for me anyhow).

> instead to complain about cosmetics.

Do you mean my worrying whether listeners are having the same problem accessing stations via the YP? That's hardly "cosmetics" and I already explained why.
Old 7th April 2017, 19:03   #11
neralex
Major Dude

You are on repeat...

I mean you should spend more time to build a better website template instead to complain. Go on your website and show what you have - this is your real big issue. Build a better website, start some social marketing and try to catch some really interested listeners instead complain things which you can't change... oO
Old 7th April 2017, 19:55   #12
sqgl

Quote:
You are on repeat...
Because you often generously help people here in the forum you seem to presume everyone is asking for fixes. I see the forums also as a place to document bugs so that it serves as informal documentation. As more information (not questions) comes to light I add it here.

As far as this particular thread is concerned, I am experiencing what you would surely agree is very strange system behaviour and if it turns out not to be a shoutcast.com bug then it will be something I can change. I thank you for trying to replicate it in Windows since most of my friends run Unix.

Quote:
I mean you should spend more time to build a better website template
Ironically the improvements you are suggesting I make to it are "cosmetic".

My web site is not a listener's first port of call to my radio station. Shoutcast.com, Tunein and iTunes are. A very small percentage of my listeners ever visit my web site in fact. And I don't blame them because a vanity site full of eye candy does not enhance the listening experience. I choose to put the energy instead into the music which anyone who listens would notice (and I don't expect you to notice because it is unlikely you enjoy the very niche genre anyhow - in which case you are not my audience).

I have done the marketing and social thing in the past with my live music career and while it did work, it did not attract my intended audience. I would rather a quality audience than a large audience. I don't need the money or the adulation. But this is a philosophical issue not suited for a technical forum.

Last edited by sqgl; 7th April 2017 at 20:12. Reason: quotes
Old 8th April 2017, 11:13   #13
neralex
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqgl View Post
My web site is not a listener's first port of call to my radio station. Shoutcast.com, Tunein and iTunes are.
Yes I can see: 3 from shoutcast.com, 2 from tunein and 2 from iTunes.

What you pionted is an issue of the browser-engines on different OS. Firefox, Chrome & Co have a different handling for streams, bufferings, renderings itself. There exists so many issues on different browsers, which are changing/moving from version to version from one issue o another issue. It existing so many jQuery plugins which are providing web-based audio-player and each plugin was built on different dependencies. Its simply not possible to get only one solution for all platforms. You will get every time issues. Its based on way how it works and how each browser can handle it. The best way is to play an stream with a native player instead to use web-player like winamp, vlc, itunes, mediaplayer etc.

That is what I meant with: build your own shizzle and try to get your listeners on your website and provide them there the best way to tune into your streams. A well-structered website and social improvements will help to make your station unique instead to stay only part of list on a directory.

On repeat - stop complaining, spend more time for important things to increase yourself. Thank you!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support