Old 8th June 2006, 18:45   #1
Swansinger

wave editor

I'm told I need a wave editor to isolate portions of a long track, adjust the pitch, put them into a play list and then rip them onto an audio CD. If that is the case, please recommend a good free downloadable wave editor. Don't need a lot of bells and whistles.
Swansinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 23:22   #2
Guest232

I'd say Audacity is a pretty good free wave editor. The playlist and/or burning should be done with Winamp though.

The program is not really hard to operate and has good help files, so I'm sure you will manage.
Old 12th June 2006, 07:25   #3
Swansinger

Thanks for the tip re: Audacity. Will check into it. Would welcome any other suggestions.
Old 12th June 2006, 07:29   #4
Swansinger

By the way, how do you ooutput the correctly pitched item into winamp and then burn an audio CD via winamp?
Old 12th June 2006, 07:52   #5
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

you have to output it to a new file.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006, 10:06   #6
Guest232

Yes, to a .wav file. Do not compress it again to mp3.
Old 13th June 2006, 21:11   #7
Swansinger

wave editor AUDACITY

I have downloaded AUDACITY, BUT i CAN'T GET IT TO WORK. I want to do several things.

a> take a short track from an audio CD and raise the pitch as well as the speed and make a file out of it. I then want to output/burn the correctly pitched file to an audio CD.

b> I want to take a long track of music (an opera), pitch it correctly, split the corrected track into smaller tracks, make a file of each ercerpt and then output those files to an audio CD.

I've tried to follow the generous advice I've received on this forum, I have surfed through the HELP section of Audacity, but I can't even get started.

Could some one please walk me through both procedures, as though you were talking to a dummy.

Thx.
Old 14th June 2006, 13:33   #8
Guest232

For problem a, you will have to rip the track off cd first with another program. I recommend Exact Audio Copy but it can be any program of your liking. I also recommend to rip it to a .wav file instead of compressing it to mp3 or some other lossy type.
When you have the ripped .wav file, load it into Audacity. You will see the blue waveform now. Select the part you want to apply the speed/pitch corrections on, just like you would select text on a webpage, by dragging your mouse over the waveform. If you want to apply it to the whole file, you can also use ctrl+a. After that, go to the Effect menu in the taskbar and select the effect for speed/pitch changing. I've never changed the pitch/speed of a track before, so the final part of setting how much the changes will be etc. have to be done by you.
When you're finished, choose "Export as WAV" from the "File" menu and save the corrected file. You can now burn that file with Winamp or another burning program.

When you only want to edit a part of a file, just select the part you want to change and change it. After that you can choose "Export selection as WAV". That way you will only have the edited part as a .wav file that you can burn now.

You can combine these methods to perform task b. Just take care of the whole file with the effects you need and export the different parts by selecting them and choosing export selection as wav.
Old 15th June 2006, 14:05   #9
Swansinger

Thanks for the advice. I ripped the track from CD [I thinkg!] but how do I load it into Audacity? I can't drag/drop from EAC to the Audacity window. The curse drags a dark rectangle and then it disappears.
Old 15th June 2006, 14:24   #10
Guest232

Well when you've succesfully ripped the track, it must have a location somewhere on your hard drive. So, open up audacity and just choose "Open" from the "File" menu and start editing.
Old 16th June 2006, 06:24   #11
Swansinger

Exact Edit extraction

Thanks for the tip. I followed instructions and saved the track to EAC. But when I try to put it into Audacity, it is nowhere to be found. A search of my hard disk came up zip - [0]. What to do?
Old 16th June 2006, 10:16   #12
Guest232

Are you sure you ripped it then? Select the tracks in EAC and the press the WAV button to the left of the screen. Did you do that?
Old 16th June 2006, 15:08   #13
gameplaya15143
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Swansinger
Thanks for the advice. I ripped the track from CD [I thinkg!] but how do I load it into Audacity? I can't drag/drop from EAC to the Audacity window. The curse drags a dark rectangle and then it disappears.
You wouldn't happen to be a MAC user, would you?
drag-n-drop =

rip from the cd with your program of choice, it doesn't matter which, just rip to pcm/wav. and pay attention to the file destination

then use 'file' 'open' in audacity, and start practicing
gameplaya15143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 22:12   #14
gameplaya15143
Major Dude

Quote:
from Swansinger in PM:
Thanks for your help. I'm no Mac Player. I mentioned drag and drop because one of the tutorials instructed me to use it for loading a track from EAC to Audacity.

I am now in the process of raising the pitch of the ripped track. Apparently you do this my using the "change speed" option, because I DO NOT want to vary the tempo independently of the pitch. Can you tell me if there is a set percentage rate for lowering or raising the pitch (i.e. key signature)?
If I remember correctly, there are 3 effects that do tempo/pitch stuff. One does just the pitch, one does just the tempo, the other does both. Other than that, I'm not sure what you are asking, perhaps someone else does.

ps. dont PM people with questions. If you want a specific person's input on a topic, PM them a link and ask nicely
gameplaya15143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support