Old 2nd June 2010, 08:12   #1
Ampnerd

Cannot Play DVD/VOB files in Winamp

I have a unique problem... Well, it is to me

I'm using the latest Winamp version(v5.572), and I can pretty much play any video file that I can think of EXCEPT for DVDs, VOB files...

Winamp is not my default video player, Media Player Classic: Home Cinema is, and I'm using the CCCP codec pack... So, Codecs should not be an issue here. However, I would like to start using Winamp as my movie watching player since I have this plugin that enhances the sound for Winamp.

MPCHC plays a VOB file ONLY IF IT'S ON THE HARD DRIVE... When I try to play it on the actual DVD drive, it crashes. But, it doesn't crash when I "Open DVD" from the menu. Winamp's side won't even play the VOB file on the Hard Drive.

Seems everyone here can get dvd playback in Winamp just fine... What's wrong with mine?
Ampnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:49   #2
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp has no native DVD playback. So you depend on 3rd party filters. ffdshow is the recommced codec pack here.

Before Winamp can play vob files using 3rd party filters, you must add ;VOB to the list iof Nullsoft's DirectShow decoder.

Preferences > Plugins > Input > Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder > Configurate
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:42   #3
Ampnerd

Sorry to bother ya again, but I've tried this and it still crashes. Although, it went to the next step in getting the time on the file for the playlist and started to put something on the screen, but crashes soon after.

I do have ffdshow, as it is part of the CCCP codec pack, and I see ffdshow loading on my taskbar when I try to load the vob file in Winamp.
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:52   #4
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

codec packs can produce crashes or result in unstable systems. Codec packs are not really supported here, because of the huge amount of available codec packs and their known glitches.

All you could try is uninstalling the codec pack and only install latest ffdshow.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:01   #5
Ampnerd

I see. Thanks for your input, Koopa!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
dvd, open, playback, vob, winamp 5