Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Old 11th May 2015, 21:09   #1
PottyMouth

Linux compatiable professional playout/automation software suggestions

Hi everyone, We are tired of Sam Broadcaster and all of its glitches and unable to send data fast enough errors, etc. We have looked at Simian, RCS Zetta, Enco DAD, etc and they are all windows only systems which we want to avoid as our linux systems are very stable and give us zero issues or headaches.

We have even looked at rivendell but running virtual machine tests show that after adding the repositories, Rivendell still does not show up when trying to install via terminal. Radio DJ does not play nice with Wine.

Right as our station is gaining traction and growing SAM Broadcaster is screwing up the listening experience so we need to switch to something else that's more solid and professional and want to keep it linux based as both our Shoutcast/Cetova Cast server is optimized for linux. Not really concerned with price up to $5k+ perferebly with multiple machine capibility to guarantee uptime in case a machine ever did go down.

Any ideas greatly appreciated, I know there's tons of different playout systems out there, it's just tough finding the ones that are linux compatible.
PottyMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 00:17   #2
andreasv

On a windows machine SAM Broadcaster usually isn't the issue when you get the "unable to send data fast enough" error. In my experience these are the usual suspects: Buffers too small, heavy load on the harddrives (virus scanner, badly setup indexing software), downloads running while streaming, computer too slow, bad encoder settings, unstable internet, music files on external USB drives, music files on a weak NAT or a very weak router in between.

But that wasn't the question

Mixxx is a very nice SAM alternative you'll probably going to like: http://mixxx.org/
There are versions for Linux and Windows, so if your team grows they have a choice.
andreasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 00:50   #3
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by PottyMouth View Post
Radio DJ does not play nice with Wine.
Neither does SAM Broadcaster, it seems

As far as you not being able to install Rivendell, perhaps you need to seek the advice of someone who knows what they are doing with linux

"If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 02:02   #4
PottyMouth

We've looked into a lot of that with SAM, ran a minimal setup on a windows machine and still had issues with it. We did a lot of searching and seems like people who had those issues and switched to RadioDJ never had a problem with it failing to send data fast enough ever again, which is what's got us on the hunt for a new system to build around. I don't know if it's the PAL scripts, we have to run many to keep SAM from stumbling over its own feet. Our servers have 32GB ram, 5TB storage for media storage and SSD for OS, cable internet, etc not sure how much faster we can really make it at this point. We got Rivendell working, we got bad repository information in our searches, will look at MIXXX and see if that'll work for us, looks sexy, I will give it that! thanks for the headsup. Just have to make sure it'll work with our board as we do have live talk shows as well.
Old 12th May 2015, 06:52   #5
PottyMouth

Mixxx is very nice but not exactly what we're looking for, but so far StationPlaylist is looking promising, running tests on it right now. Cost is about the same as SAM we can easily configure all line-in inputs from mixer, mics, carts are easy to build and recall when need, etc and is running smooth without throwing any fits like SAM likes to do(so far anyway, will have to test more) . Not as graphically pleasing as SAM or Zetta, etc, but as long as it works without so many problems as SAM, it will be worth its weight in gold. Will have to test for the whole 21 days to get a better feel for it. It automatically has a feature for similar artists too which is something I didn't like about SAM it would play rob zombie right after white zombie for example or you'd set your parameters to not play a song or artists for x-amount of hours yet it would play an artist and sure enough 5 songs later it's got the same artist in que to play again.
Old 12th May 2015, 07:46   #6
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Good luck finding something I believe the options are limited when it comes to Linux and radio automation.

The reason RadioDJ won't work on Wine is it needs .NET which Linux doesn't have (Even mono doesn't work yet)

I run RadioDJ in a Virtualbox using windows 7 and have very few issues....

Proud USER of RadioDJ free radio playout software since 2010

Running RadioDJ on a 16GB AMD10 Computer

New Blog - Winamp - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 08:48   #7
PottyMouth

I have visited your site before LOL, you can add us to a long list of people with activation key issues with SAM as well. We run 3 machines, our Main server, Portable Laptop for remote broadcasts, and a backup server if the main ever went down. It will work fine for a while then ask for activation key and say max installs then you have to contact them and wait for them to get to when they feel like it. Very frustrating experience dealing with Spacial.

We figured we wouldn't have huge options but didn't think there would be virtually zero options. Although I am enjoying stationplaylist so far, the only thing I need to figure out is how I can turn of the volume from the monitors but keep the volume pumping out to the listeners. That's one of the few things SAM got right.
Old 12th May 2015, 09:17   #8
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
We figured we wouldn't have huge options but didn't think there would be virtually zero options.
The only 2 programs I know about for Linux are Mixx (as mentioned) and IDJC both of which i couldn't get on with.

If only Microsoft would let Linux use the .NET libraries (We can dream) Then RadioDJ would run on Linux with few issues.

Proud USER of RadioDJ free radio playout software since 2010

Running RadioDJ on a 16GB AMD10 Computer

New Blog - Winamp - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 13:50   #9
dopelabs
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dopelabs
http://liquidsoap.fm

i also provide such things as a service, or if you want something custom written to run and manage yourself, i can do that as well.
dopelabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 00:44   #10
PottyMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybaldy72uk View Post
The only 2 programs I know about for Linux are Mixx (as mentioned) and IDJC both of which i couldn't get on with.

If only Microsoft would let Linux use the .NET libraries (We can dream) Then RadioDJ would run on Linux with few issues.
I read a story recently that said Microsoft & .NET were getting with the times(finally) and going to open source, so maybe not so far fetched for RadioDJ on Linux!
Old 22nd May 2015, 21:03   #11
dopelabs
Major Dude

Quote:
Hi everyone, We are tired of Sam Broadcaster and all of its glitches and unable to send data fast enough errors, etc. We have looked at Simian, RCS Zetta, Enco DAD, etc and they are all windows only systems which we want to avoid as our linux systems are very stable and give us zero issues or headaches.

We have even looked at rivendell but running virtual machine tests show that after adding the repositories, Rivendell still does not show up when trying to install via terminal. Radio DJ does not play nice with Wine.
i havent really used SAM broadcaster much. i had to support a small farm of these things at a job i used to have. it was a constant stream of problems that never seemed to end... and ive never heard of those other ones either, but i generally avoid windows like the plague...

i never ran into an 'unable to send data fast enough' error before... but im guessing that refers to sending the stream 'to' the shoutcast server? (might be network related...)

Quote:
Right as our station is gaining traction and growing SAM Broadcaster is screwing up the listening experience so we need to switch to something else that's more solid and professional and want to keep it linux based as both our Shoutcast/Cetova Cast server is optimized for linux. Not really concerned with price up to $5k+ perferebly with multiple machine capibility to guarantee uptime in case a machine ever did go down.

Any ideas greatly appreciated, I know there's tons of different playout systems out there, it's just tough finding the ones that are linux compatible.
theres a number of options available... liquidsoap, darkice, gstreamer, even the old(old) sc_trans technically still works. also with perl, python, ruby, or java you can pretty much use anything... lame, ffmpeg, cat, etc...

then its really a question of how much automation and redundancy you want. all these tools i have mentioned are free stuff (im pretty sure), so any cost would be more for hardware and bandwidth.
Old 24th May 2015, 21:11   #12
aron9forever

sc_trans runs just fine

also with the wonderful scripting language of PHP(notice how the next song is "generate"), you can create a script with ANY customization you want

so here's your jingle support, ads, intelligent track selection and many others, at the cost of not being able to display the next song
aron9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 21:29   #13
dopelabs
Major Dude

any why cant you display the next song?
Old 25th May 2015, 15:28   #14
DrO

because that's how sc_trans handled those 'scripted' entries and is why over time we've had to add certain values into an exclusion list for what the DNAS sees as a title update to filter out those annoying 'quirks' from how sc_trans worked.

if sc_trans were still being developed, that's one of the things that would need to be fixed with it, but obviously that won't happen now, and so you get these annoying types of 'next' titles (which most listener clients cannot make use off anyway).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2015, 10:56   #15
anjeleno

Rivendell

Hey, I've got quite a bit of experience with Rivendell. You can definitely get it working in a virtual environment or dedicated hardware. I wrote up a four-part tutorial that will walk you through installing a complete Rivendell network on Debian/Ubuntu. It doesn't cover importing music (I'll probably write that up in a future tutorial) but there's a link in section four to the brettblog and he covers it pretty extensively. Good luck and let me know if the tutorial helps!
anjeleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2015, 10:59   #16
dopelabs
Major Dude

http://www.dlnetworks.net/tools/ffmp...emote-sources/

http://www.dlnetworks.net/tools/how-to-liquidsoap/

http://www.dlnetworks.net/scratch/li...aming-example/
Old 7th June 2015, 15:16   #17
PottyMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopelabs View Post
i havent really used SAM broadcaster much. i had to support a small farm of these things at a job i used to have. it was a constant stream of problems that never seemed to end... and ive never heard of those other ones either, but i generally avoid windows like the plague...

i never ran into an 'unable to send data fast enough' error before... but im guessing that refers to sending the stream 'to' the shoutcast server? (might be network related...)

theres a number of options available... liquidsoap, darkice, gstreamer, even the old(old) sc_trans technically still works. also with perl, python, ruby, or java you can pretty much use anything... lame, ffmpeg, cat, etc...

then its really a question of how much automation and redundancy you want. all these tools i have mentioned are free stuff (im pretty sure), so any cost would be more for hardware and bandwidth.
Nah it's not network related, SAM is just a buggy program. We have been testing StationPlaylist with the same setup with ZERO problems so far whereas SAM gums up at least 5 times a day in the same test enviroment. It's the software that's the problem for sure and many other SAM users report the same issues as well. We're not sure if we're going to use Stationplaylist though, it's great software, but we may end up going with RCS Zetta with a hadware encoder to avoid future upgrades. Those programs you mentioned would not work for us personally but may be good for others. So we'll probably run Windows 10 OS as it supposedly stole a lot of ideas from linux but just executes them better as it is standardized unlike linux which is all over the place.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support