Old 7th December 2011, 23:40   #1
marillion2k

Winamp crashes after adding media to library

[edit - Moderation]
This thread is old and relates mainly to v5.62 which is a very old Winamp release and the issues which led to this thread have since been resolved.
[/edit]

I have a really annoying problem that I can't seem to find a solution to ... Winamp keeps crashing after I add new media to the library.

I run 64 bit Windows 7 and have all my media on an external/usb powered hard drive. Up until recently I didn't have any issues but as of lately winamp will crash after I add new media to the library. I currently have a pretty large library (close to 60,000 songs) and I was wondering if Winamp has a library size limit. Also, would the fact that my media is on an external drive be an issue? Is there or will there ever be a 64 bit version of Winamp where issues like these will not exist?

Looking at my windows app log in the event viewer, I find the following info on the crash:

Quote:
Faulting application name: winamp.exe, version: 5.6.2.3189, time stamp: 0x4ea85649
Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.6161, time stamp: 0x4dace5b9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0003afac
Faulting process id: 0xec8
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccb53c7715e7b8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.6161_none_50934f2ebcb7eb57\MSVCR90.dll
Report Id: 0e156ad4-2130-11e1-9ff5-0021704be9c3
Does anybody have any ideas on how I could go about solving this very annoying issue? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Rudy
marillion2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 00:28   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
do u embed artwork? what quality?

what audio filetypes? what ver winamp? any 3rd party plugins?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 02:15   #3
marillion2k

Hi MrSinatra. Yep, I embed artwork. The quality is varying. Sometimes they are fairly large sized pictures, sometimes they are as large as a google images thumbnail. I mostly copypaste from the web directly into the artwork section of the tag. Audio filetypes are all mp3's with different bitrates, all mostly CBR. Winamp is latest version (5.622 (x86)). I don't *think* I use any 3rd party plugins, but can't be a 100% sure.
Old 8th December 2011, 03:26   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

all signs point to your embedded art being too much, but post your onefornunz list anyway.

--
Old 8th December 2011, 14:03   #5
marillion2k

My onefornunz list is attached as a zip file. If the problem is embedded art, what can I do to circumvent? I don't have a very slow pc (core2quad 2.4 ghz, 8gb ram) so I would think that a large library including embedded art should not be a problem. If it is, it is not very clear anywhere that you should be mindful when adding art, looking at filesizes and such ...
Old 8th December 2011, 14:19   #6
marillion2k

Well I didn't see my attachments ... Let me try again...
Attached Files
File Type: zip my_plugin_list.zip (4.8 KB, 534 views)
Old 8th December 2011, 15:16   #7
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Does it still crash if you switch to Classic Skins?
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 18:33   #8
marillion2k

Just tried and switched to classic skins ... seems to be holding up okay so far. So that certainly is a workaround for the issue seemingly ... I still would love to know how to fix it altogether though. Thanks for the hint, thinkthink!
Old 8th December 2011, 18:51   #9
marillion2k

Spoke too soon, just crashed again. It would let me work with it a while longer than with a modern skin setting though ...
Old 9th December 2011, 01:46   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

i'm no expert, but the only thing that jumps out at me is the mp3+g plugin, i know nothing about it.

in any case, winamp does seem to have a problem with embedded art, esp if you have lots of songs and/or the art is HQ/large filesizes.

i don't embed, i use one Folder.jpg in the album dir.

--
Old 22nd December 2011, 14:56   #11
feneyes

hi, i have the same problem, i embedd artwork but never had this problem before, maybe it has to do with the size of the library, i have over 275000 mp3 files added to the library.
feneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:20   #12
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

You could try scanning the library in chunks. It depends how your folders are organised really.

It is not the count of tracks that is the problem. It sounds like there are issues when lots of high res artwork is read in at the same time.

There have also been cases were some corrupted files can kill a scan. Watch to see if there is a pattern as to when your scan fails.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 04:05   #13
feneyes

Never had this problem before, scanning in chunks is a little difficult, all the files are held on a usb3.0 external harddrive, organised on genre\artist\album, all the files are tagged in the same way and renamed like artist - album - track - title
feneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:06   #14
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Have you checked it does not always die at the same point due to a corrupted file?

It could be helpful to the devs to know how much large artwork you have, and bring up task manager and watch to see if the memory allocation is climbing constantly (as per examples of this issue in other threads)

And if everything is in the one folder, you could scan using Drag and Drop maybe? At least to get your library up to date.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 22:23   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

this thread reminded me of these old issues, maybe the people having the crashes could try 5.7 and see if they can generate a crash report?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=2945306

--
Old 22nd June 2013, 22:31   #16
DrO

quit bumping old threads! there is zero reason to re-post the same thing in 5 threads!

[edit]
make that 11 old threads bumped. that's post pumping on the scale of a spammer.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 15:53   #17
hogg

Import from itunes

Ive been having this same problem, and been reading here a lot.

Didnt get it to work until i "Import from Itunes" instead of "Add media to library".

This worked just fine
hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 16:08   #18
DrO

and you're using what version to experience the import issue ?
Old 10th July 2013, 17:06   #19
hogg

hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 19:03   #20
DrO

ok, so you're probably experiencing the import bug it has with badly tagged files. can you try the 5.7 beta to see if that makes a difference for you ?
Old 13th July 2013, 02:04   #21
salo7227

I am experiencing the same problem. I've been using Winamp for years. Just updated my OS (W7 Professional) and reinstalled Winamp. It simply refuses to add media unless I add each album individually and with a library the size of mine, that's not going to happen. Any help would be much appreciated.
salo7227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 02:18   #22
DrO

install the 5.7 beta for the time being as there's a bug due to poorly tagged files which causes 5.64 to crash, which will be officially fixed as part of a coming 5.65 release (along with a number of other issues on importing which prevents it working correctly with very large libraries).
Old 13th July 2013, 02:47   #23
salo7227

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
install the 5.7 beta for the time being as there's a bug due to poorly tagged files which causes 5.64 to crash, which will be officially fixed as part of a coming 5.65 release (along with a number of other issues on importing which prevents it working correctly with very large libraries).
Nice one! Thanks. Working well now.
salo7227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 01:23   #24
3fingerpete

I had the same problem with 5.64 after doing a system re-install of Vista 32. WinAmp crashes during the ML scan but would scan individual folders. I use the Modern skin. After reading the thread I tried switching to the Classic skin and it scanned like a charm. After the scan I switched back to Classic skin and the ML scan appears to be fixed now.
3fingerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 07:59   #25
MelkoRR

I had the same problem ,I just added my files to Itunes Library and then imported them to Winamp .
MelkoRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 08:02   #26
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelkoRR View Post
I had the same problem ,I just added my files to Itunes Library and then imported them to Winamp .
u should not be having that problem providing you are using the latest 5.666 with proper patches.

if you are having it, we'd all like more info about it.

however, a problem I recall might still exist is that if the ML is "too large" however that is defined, u will not get any indication that's the case, and some music will simply be missing, which could be very hard to spot.

--
Old 10th June 2014, 11:42   #27
kanedagr

I had, all of a sudden, the same problem. I found out, about it, when I opened my media library, it said that the database was corrupted, so i went to Preferences-> Local Library and pressed "Rescan now". After a while winamp crashed. I found out by accident, the solution. I put in the media library, one folder per "Scan now". So, as i was proceeding fine, at one folder it crashed again but i did not close winamp. At the winamp preferences -> local library window, right under the button "Scan now" it displayed the last track that it was responsible for crashing Winamp. So, out of curiosity, I opened windows explorer and found the track. I have media info installed on my pc. In the folder of the track that was responsible for crashing winamp, were other mp3s also. The other mp3s played fine. With media info checked the codecs and stuff for the mp3 that it was causing the problem and the other mp3s. The mysterious thing is that all mp3s of the folder had the same codecs and bitrate, e.t.c. Note, that those mp3s did not have any album art. So, i deleted the mp3 causing the crashing and everything it is ok, now! Just remember to stay on the winamp preferences->local library window, so when it will crash, you can see the track responsible. Wish this will help.
kanedagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 18:42   #28
MrSinatra
Forum King

can u recover the file u deleted and upload it so we can see if we can reproduce?

and what ver mp3 dll are u using with winamp?

--
Old 10th June 2014, 20:44   #29
kanedagr

The file there is no way I can retrieve it. But the version of the mp3 dll is the one that comes with the latest winamp. I did not mess with it. I am not in front of my PC now. I will check it and inform you later.
Old 10th June 2014, 20:46   #30
DrO

you need to be using the in_mp3.dll from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....373755#updates as long as it is definitely v5.666 build 3516 (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....74929#download) which is installed first.
Old 11th June 2014, 11:39   #31
kanedagr

I had in_mp3 version 4.104 and i did what DrO said and i've installed 4.103.
Old 11th June 2014, 12:02   #32
Aminifu
Forum King

When everything else has been tried, it may be possible to 'repair' mp3s with structural errors. In the future you could try either or both of the apps linked below to try to save 'bad' mp3s.

http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/

http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 16:48   #33
kanedagr

Very useful tools! Thank you!
Old 11th June 2014, 18:32   #34
MrSinatra
Forum King

r u sure the file is not in the recycle bin?

even if u emptied the recycle bin, u can sometimes undelete a file with a utility.

but chances are the mp3 dll was the cause of the crash.

--
Old 11th June 2014, 18:52   #35
kanedagr

I have emptied the recycle bin. Indeed, there is a utility but i think the problem was the mp3 dll as mentioned by DrO.
Old 11th June 2014, 20:07   #36
DrO

is no point in trying to recover things (and is probably at the point where undelete tools wouldn't be able to recover things anyway). as long as things are stable with v5.666 build 3516 + patches then that's the best that can be done anyway for the time being.
Old 21st October 2014, 16:52   #37
kanedagr

Now, all of a sudden, it displays once again that the library is corrupted. But when I hit rescan it says immediately ""rescan aborted". Any ideas?

solved: i run winamp with administrator rights and it's ok now!
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
add, crash, library, media