Old 26th February 2011, 14:55   #1
bigmike09890

Sync Smart View to android as playlist

Smart views obviously update themselves automatically when music is added to the library. But the one thing I'm missing when I switched from itunes to winamp is the ability to sync "smart playlists".

In itunes I was able to mark songs and the playlist is created with only the marked songs. I did a little bit of a workaround for this by using ratings and where if the rating was above 1 star it was included in the view. This works (although being able to just check songs would be better) but when I want to sync only these songs to my android I need to create a playlist out of the smart view before I can sync it. Also I have two smart views that I like to use so I would like them to be synced as playlists onto the phone.

But what I'm getting at is I would like to sync a smart view as a playlist on the phone without having to create a playlist out of it first.
bigmike09890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 21:11   #2
zotje

bump!!!

I need this feature also. I like the smart views, but they can't be synched. And they can't be limited to say 50 songs. So, if I wanted to have 50 songs from the 80s that I haven't heard recently synched, I have to have the dynamic playlist created in itunes and then import into winamp. Not exactly something I want to do every time I sync, especially since the wireless sync automatically syncs my android now when I walk in my house...which is way cool btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike09890 View Post
Smart views obviously update themselves automatically when music is added to the library. But the one thing I'm missing when I switched from itunes to winamp is the ability to sync "smart playlists".

In itunes I was able to mark songs and the playlist is created with only the marked songs. I did a little bit of a workaround for this by using ratings and where if the rating was above 1 star it was included in the view. This works (although being able to just check songs would be better) but when I want to sync only these songs to my android I need to create a playlist out of the smart view before I can sync it. Also I have two smart views that I like to use so I would like them to be synced as playlists onto the phone.

But what I'm getting at is I would like to sync a smart view as a playlist on the phone without having to create a playlist out of it first.
zotje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 01:21   #3
rausch101

This is one of two missing features for me that would complete the experience. Just switched to Android from iPhone. I had been using Media Monkey with my iPhone and no longer being able to auto sync a smart self-populating list is a huge pain in the ass.

There's not much point in the wireless sync because I have to physically go to my computer, select a smart view, and then do "Send to playlist" to add anything to my playlists anyway. I may as well just plug in my phone while I'm sitting there anyway. If you have to manually add to a playlist at your computer, there's really not that big a benefit to a wireless sync!

(Reverse syncing of ratings is the second missing feature)

Great work on the android experience so far though!

EDIT: Whoops, sorry I see that this is already in the list of features to be added. Good to know! "Export a view directly to a playlist file"
rausch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 07:48   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
can you not select all files in the smartview, rightclick, and do a "send to" whatever device?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 21:06   #5
haines

I'm registering just to say the lack of this feature is the only thing preventing me from abandoning iTunes for Winamp.

The problem with selecting the view->"send to" is that you don't have the songs grouped in a playlist on the device, so that's no good.
haines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 21:17   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
so make a playlist of the smartview first?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 20:09   #7
a20tornado

I entirely agree with the need to be able to do this, and this is the main feature keeping me from making the migration from iTunes.

To respond to MrSinatra: having to do all of that manually completely defeats the purpose of having a smart playlist set up. I listen to a lot of podcasts, as well has have a music collection that is far too large to fit on my phone. It is too much effort for me to have to pull each of my new podcasts over into a playlist when they will all update at different intervals and I may be listening and catching up on them at different speeds. The benefit of a smart playlist is that I can say I want any podcasts with a play count of < 1 to show up in this playlist. Then I never have to worry about it again. Play counts get updated when I sync, those podcasts are removed from the playlist, and any new podcasts are then synced to my phone. It seamlessly groups and maintains the podcasts I want to listen to.

I also make similar playlists with my music, keeping only a subset of the stuff I have set at a certain rating, based on what I haven't heard recently. So I have a playlist of 3 stars that is steadily rotated so I'm not listening to the same stuff until it gets stale. I'm able to keep several different playlists updated and changing without having to hand cherry-pick everything that goes into them.

I realize it's a matter of laziness, but it's a convenience I've grown accustomed to with iTunes, and it would take a lot for me to give it up. This feature is the only reason I would ever get around to updating my playlists and listening to new stuff on a regular basis.
a20tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 20:38   #8
danep

I'd also very much like to see this, for all of the reasons mentioned above
danep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 04:58   #9
Brent2121

Yeah... the ipod plugin does this flawlessly with my ipod classic. I was looking forward to getting rid of the ipod and getting an android phone. Not possible if syncing doesn't produce playlists on the phone that mirror the smart views on my winamp desktop.
Brent2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 05:50   #10
doodleman99

Bump!!!!!!!!!

again, i have to agree. this is the only feature which prevents me shifting over.
i used to use winamp about 10 years ago!!! and loved it!

As described by another user, i have an android, and with winamp's new wireless playlist sync (ZOMG WOW Its so good!!!) i cant wait to get off itunes, but we need to be able to either sync the Views OR we need the playlists to automatically update!!
im sure it cant be that hard and really suprised to find it's not already a feature!

anyone have any tips on this please?!?!?!?!?!?!?
doodleman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 06:29   #11
doodleman99

ok maybe i was being thick......

just had another play on winamp and found how to do it.
if you goto the devices section and open the preferences of <yor device>

you have two sections there. once for the playlists to sync (which we dont want/use because they dont automatically update themselves), and the second is the little "library sync" section where you can build your query! for me i have only a simple Rating >= "3"

there is an additional feature on a couple of tabs along called "Auto Fill" which will fill the rest of your device with music based on a second query

i also have the auto connect feature. so, as soon as i come home and connect to the wifi, it will auto renew my playlist on my android!!!! POW!

hope that helps
Old 21st February 2012, 17:42   #12
Brent2121

I have 50+ smart views, and that sounds like it's just for deciding which files to transfer to your phone, and has nothing to do with creating playlists on your phone. Maybe it could be used as a workaround to copy all files from one smart view onto your phone, but that doesn't really help.
Brent2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 08:39   #13
doodleman99

yeah..... this is only for one playlist really :/

ist the playlist just a single index file? would it work if you copy that one file over to your phone (assuming you have all the music synced) and if it can read/use the playlist file, then you can find any ol' app out there to just sync those files? and you're ocking and rolling?!?!?!?! maybe?
Old 7th March 2012, 03:22   #14
bitcore

Send a message via AIM to bitcore
I'm using the sourceforge ml_ipod plugin, it has this feature and works flawlessly.

Unfortunately, it's no longer in development, and it's not an official winamp plugin. I'm having troubles with it ability to transcode flac to MP3 suddenly for unexplained reasons, and wanted to try out the official ipod support plugin again - it has an astonishing lack of features compared to ML_Ipod and looks like it also has not changed in a few years either.

Smart views are just about useless to me in winamp without the ability to sync them to my ipod.

So much for purchasing a pro license... I don't feel like my support has driven development any.

Like music? Like milkdrop? You need a BLTC sandwich.
Better Living Through Chemicals. It's Pretty!
bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 00:36   #15
kdn102

As a developer, adding something like this seems beyond trivial. All of the tools are there for the sync already. All that has to be done is find a way to uniquely match a smart view to a playlist. Why can't that be done just by name?

DEVS: If there are problems with the design feel free to PM me, I have nearly 20 years of development experience and I am a great problem solver.
kdn102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 19:42   #16
capatel81

bump.

Need this feature on Winamp to get rid of itunes. I would even go pro if they use the pro feature. I can't imagine this being an entirely difficult issue to solve since itunes had this feature over a decade ago.
capatel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 21:43   #17
vcontoursvt

Send a message via AIM to vcontoursvt
BUMP. I have $4.99 (or whatever it costs) waiting for the Android Pro version if this is implemented.

Of course if its free, I won't complain either (since this should work with other portable players too).
vcontoursvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 04:42   #18
redstang

It is now June 2013, and no smart playlists in Winamp. I hate it, but I guess I'm going to have to stick with iphone/itunes because that is the MAIN FEATURE I care about. I want to use auto-updating playlists based on my play count. I have play counts in winamp, I can sync my android device to winamp, if ONLY that would trigger some playlists to update. Lame.
redstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 16:31   #19
p1k_84

Hope again

Happy to see i'm not the only one to search for this option.

Sorry but with winamp I don't find an issu yet. But with combination of different apps and software i'm near.

Media monkey is the issu but for a really full satisfaction you need to pay to have a complete version.

Personnaly i Use Good sync to sync over wifi all my music folder i want (you can select or unselect folder you want or not if you, like me, have too much music .)
For the best muic player apps... POWERAMP, i paid for a full vesion and it's my best choice ever. To be near of a playlist feeling and easy search. Check for TAG : Composer. This tag is rarely used and easy to find in any music player.
Example : Composer : BO (For BEST OF) BO+TRANCE (in my track tag)
In my phone apps, I check in the composer menu and its' easy to find all tag with this specifiaction.... I let you use your imagination for full setup for your needs =)

HAve a good day!
P!K
p1k_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist