Old 27th November 2011, 09:00   #1
koijmon

How to use search for nonstandard ID3v2 tag info?

So the search bar seems to look at the tag info for artist, album, year, genre, album artist and who knows what else. I was wondering if it could search through other ID3v2 tags like producer or other categories that winamp doesn't write to when looking at the editing menu (ctrl-e) or the file info menu (alt-3). I guess I could make a smart view with a non zero entry in those tag categories but wouldn't that just give me a view with only those files? I was kind of hoping that the search behavior could be altered to just parse those attributes without the view being narrowed to only them. Anyone else have other ideas? The smart view editor can't define what tag categories to search in can it?
koijmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 15:58   #2
osmosis
Major Dude

By default Artist, Albumartist, Album, Title, Genre, Filepath, Composer and Publisher are searched. Category, Director and Producer (in ML Metadata editor) are not, Year, Disc # and Track # (ID3v1) are not, and Orig. Artist, Copyright, Encoded, BPM (ID3v2) are also not.

As it seems you know, most can be searched (but aren't by default) using an ML query from the Search bar (eg. type ?comment has "blah"). For the full list of variables which can be queried, select an ML smart view and press F2, click "Advanced mode >>" and check the Query Language Documentation displayed. That way you wouldn't have to narrow the view, just type a little more.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 16:33   #3
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by koijmon View Post
The smart view editor can't define what tag categories to search in can it?
Depends on what you mean by "tag categories".
The Smart View Editor is a powerful search tool. There are over 35 information fields, including Producer, that can be evaluated in various ways.
Be aware that some metadata is written only to Winamp's database but not to ID3 tags (like Producer, Director).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smart View Editor - example.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	49309  

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 18:51   #4
koijmon

Question answered

Awesome. I didn't know that you could define the search bar query with the ?comment has "blah" type expression. But that was what I was hoping for, short of redefining those default search categories.
koijmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 07:14   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=330495

i do think winamp should make all the metadata use its own frame. TIPL is used by some people for producer or director, but they could just make their own TXXX frames and i really don't see why they don't, since i think putting metadata into the ML only is dubious at best.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
id3, search, smart view