Old 1st November 2011, 09:47   #1
irony78

Library View Troubleshoting

Greetings!

First post in forums, requesting for assistance.

I've change the Library view (from the small icons on the top left corner) from Two to Simple and now, those icons are gone, I can't find the way to change it back to Two or even better Single Album.
And when I go to the New Smart View window and create a custom one, after clicking Ok the Library remains exactly the same. I haven't found anywhere a guide to the New Smart View.
What I would like is to have a single pane with Album Art.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanx.

PS How to I add Album Art to an album that appears with the winamp logo?
irony78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:54   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi irony78,

I assume you're using the big Bento skin (user interface). I do not use that skin, so can't help with your main issue. Sorry. The drastic (fail-safe) approach would be to 'clean' uninstall and reinstall Winamp. Search the forum for the 'clean uninstall' procedures (they are Operating System dependent). Hopefully someone will post a less drastic solution.

For adding album art, the 2 main ways are:

1. Use Winamp (often does not find what you need) or a 3rd party app (plenty available, do a web search) to download the appropriate cover art. Copy the downloaded file to the sub-folder containing the song files. Rename the art file to "folder". Do not change it's filename extension.

2. If your song files are not stored in separate album sub-folders, you can 'embed' the cover art file you downloaded (from step 1.) into each song file that does not display the appropriate cover art. Use Winamp's tag editor (right click on the track and select 'view file info') or a 3rd party tagging app to copy the downloaded art file to the track's cover art tag. Once you see everything is working, you can delete the original downloaded art file.

This of course only works with song file formats that allow tagging. If your song file format does not support tagging, then you have to rearrange your file storage method and go with step 1.

There is a lot of info in the forum on how various users deal with album art. Pros and cons for the methods described above. Possible problems (Winamp bugs?) and work-arounds.

Good luck.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:58   #3
DrO

whoa there. there's no need to be doing clean installs just because of altering a media library smart view (as is the case which is _not_ skin dependent).

the easiest way to 'fix' the view is to use the 'edit' option by right-clicking the smart view's item in the media library tree and using the options on there to get things back to what was wanted - definitely no need for doing a clean re-install!

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 11:03   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi DrO,

Thanx for pitching in. I did say 'clean uninstall' would be drastic!
Old 1st November 2011, 13:21   #5
irony78

Thank you both for your quick replies.

@Aminifu. A clean install would certainly reset the library view, would it?

@DrO. Is this what you mean by "smart view options"?

I've tried every combination with no effect on the library itself.
Old 1st November 2011, 15:03   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi irony78,

A clean uninstall and reinstall would put 'everything' back to what it was when you first installed Winamp. It would be like Winamp had never been on your system before.

From the dialog box you posted, it seems like you should be able to get back to the 2 panel on the top and 1 panel on the bottom by selecting the "Two" filters option near the bottom of the dialog.

I have never worked with those options myself so don't really know what they do.
Old 1st November 2011, 15:18   #7
irony78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi irony78,

A clean uninstall and reinstall would put 'everything' back to what it was when you first installed Winamp. It would be like Winamp had never been on your system before.
Yeah, I know. I was being... well, sarcastic really, but without any offense meant, as a re-installation would definitely fix the library view. Please don't get me wrong, your reply was appreciated.

It is always an option, but I was hoping for a way to go back to the default view. I've never meddled with these setting either.

When I create a custom view and hit OK I would think it would save that vie and change the library view accordingly. But it doesn't. And there don't seem to exist any real instructions on Smart View, as far as I can tell.
Old 1st November 2011, 15:29   #8
DrO

one smartview won't affect the other ones - i wonder if this might be confusing what is being asked.

there are the presets at the top which can be used to get the default view of a specific smartview query. otherwise just selecting the 'filters' as appropriate should get most of the view back to what you're looking for. or you can just delete the view and start it again (which should remove any changes to the albumart, etc that were previously made).

i still hold that doing a clean re-install is just massively ott when it can all be done with the dialog shown - is just tricky to say what exactly when it's not 100% clear what you're wanting to see.

-daz
Old 1st November 2011, 15:50   #9
irony78

More screenshots...

So, this is my library now...

And I want to change how it looks. Let's not try for something specific. Any change.
I go to the Smart View options and choose for example this...

I hit Ok and shouldn't then my library have two top panes and maybe a bottom one?
It actually stays exactly the same as before.

What I really want is to have one single pane with the album art at the left of the list of the songs, which would be sorted by artist or album. It was like that, I changed it while experimenting, to see how all the different options look like and now I can't get it to change in any way at all.

Am I trying the correct way? 'Cause if I am and there is no result maybe I should re-install after all, as Aminifu suggested.
Old 1st November 2011, 15:57   #10
DrO

ok, based on the first screenshot, you're looking at the root library view which cannot be changed - that's how that is and has always been since the library was added to Winamp.

Quote:
What I really want is to have one single pane with the album art at the left of the list of the songs, which would be sorted by artist or album
choose the 'simple album' option (if i'm following what you're asking for), otherwise go with the two pane option and select 'album art' for one of the drop downs.

-daz
Old 1st November 2011, 17:42   #11
irony78

I've done that. And many other combinations of all the options in the New Smart View window.
There is no change whatsoever in the way my library appears.

But you have confirmed that this would be the way to do it, which is good. Even if it's not working.

Obviously there is something wrong. I'll re-install. I's a hassle, but it's just a few albums. I haven't organised my entire collection. And I'll have to pair my android phone again.

Anyway, thank you both for your time.
Old 1st November 2011, 19:42   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
before you reinstall, may i suggest you hit the "triangle" by "local media."

you then should see "audio" and "video" and some other default views. click on audio.

then right click, and select "add smart view"

then click "advanced mode" and LEAVE THE PRESET BLANK!

then build your query and name it down below. if all that isn't working, i would suggest your install is broken.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 20:25   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi irony78,

Apt user name by the way. Sorry, I couldn't resist that.

Hope you saw MrSinatra's post before the reinstall and it worked.

Anyway there is a special Winamp backup tool you can use to help recover from 'experimenting' without the full drastic (fail-safe) approach. It still in beta, but I've used it with no problem.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317153
Old 1st November 2011, 20:44   #14
irony78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
before you reinstall, may i suggest you hit the "triangle" by "local media."

you then should see "audio" and "video" and some other default views. click on audio.

then right click, and select "add smart view"

then click "advanced mode" and LEAVE THE PRESET BLANK!

then build your query and name it down below. if all that isn't working, i would suggest your install is broken.
It worked! Weird though as it is through the same option's window I was getting from Library - New Smart View... (I think in my previous, many, tries I wasn't leaving the preset blanc)

Thanx all!

PS Yeah, I've got that username for a reason
Old 1st November 2011, 20:55   #15
irony78

I just realised something.

Under "local media" I've got six "audio" views, the tries I did to change the view of my library.
Every time I clicked Ok in the New Smart View another library view named "audio" was being created.

Interesting.
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:35   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi irony78,

Glad things are working out for you.

Since you did not know how stuff was working, it's understandable that you accidentally created multiple smart views with the same name.

Your resolved problem points to one of the things I have complained about; Lack of full documentation (which I acknowledged is not an easy thing to provide). I was told the important stuff is documented. My reply: Great, but who decides what's important. I was also told that most users don't read the documentation anyway. My reply: Great, but what about the users that do read the documentation.

You were 'left to assume' that the "New Smart View" dialog would 'save and switch' to the new 'template' you had just made, by clicking on "OK". Someone else decided that you did not need to be told (in the documentation) that that is NOT how it works.

You were left to find out (by trial and error) that clicking on "OK" only saved the new view. You then need to 'go somewhere else' in WA to select (switch to) the new view that was created.

And by the way (all assumption on my part, have not read any official documentation), choosing a preset or not, only gives the new view a 'starting point' or not, from an already existing view. So if you create a new view based on the name of a previous 'screwed up' view, you can get caught in a 'vicious circle'.

Some of this 'basic common sense' (for example, save here and activate there), for some long time users and some documentation writers, is NOT common sense nor 'established practice' for everyone one else.

End of rant. I apologize for going a little off topic. You stated in your first post that you had looked for and failed to find documentation on this feature. I'm grabbing that as my excuse.
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:45   #17
irony78

I'm with you.

I've been using winamp for years, but only for double-click playing tracks, right-click enqueue and maybe create a few playlists. Now that I switched from an iPhone to an android and I wanted to do more I went straight to help. But, for the Smart View for example, there is no documentation at all. For iTunes I could find almost anything in Help.

On the other hand, I did find the solution thanks to the help of a guy in Chicago, one in the UK and another one in Pennsylvania.
Old 2nd November 2011, 19:13   #18
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
guys, if you support my posts here:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=334202

and here:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=314527

maybe we can get it done!

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--