Old 1st December 2003, 20:31   #1
linesybr

Hosting on Consumer Cable line

Hey people,
I'm working on deploying a new site using shoutcast to broadcast live and also stream static files. I was hoping I could get some feedback from other shoutcast users who use (or have used) their consumer cable connection to host shoutcast service. Feedback such as how well it works while using your connection; also feedback such as have you heard any complaints from your cable providor about hosting this service? See, I'm hoping the reaction that it's not a big deal and that it works at least OK because I will be having a perminate T1 connection installed within the next 6 months (soonest I can get 'em out here), but until then, consumer cable is the best I can do. The providor I use for web hosting is great, I assumed I could host shoutcast service BUT come to find out they don't allow you to host shoutcast unless you pay rediculious monthly $$. I'd hate to set up just shoutcast service somewhere (semi-temporarily) until I get my new connection installed if I don't have to. I was planning on limiting the connection to a 64K stream with max users set to 10 for the time being. I would guess that it wouldn't be too big a deal because of all the people running Kazaa all day and night (which technically is a server in itself). Well, I guess if any of you out there are using or have used your consumer cable connection to run Shoutcast, I'd appreciate any feedback you may have for me.
linesybr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2003, 20:40   #2
MStar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MStar Send a message via AIM to MStar Send a message via Yahoo to MStar
It all depends on your provider. My cable ISP used to be good for broadcasting, but they've become crap lately with 80kbps upload during peak times. I don't think you will be able to broadcast 10 64kbps listeners, check what your upload speed is. http://speedtest.dslreports.com
Also, most ISPs don't allow you to stream shoutcast using their cable connections, so I'd check so you don't get in trouble.

A much easier thing is to look at http://www.radiotoolbox.com/hosts/

MStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions