Old 22nd August 2016, 18:00   #1
KaiserD2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 44
New winamp and ipod classic?

I know the answer to these questions may be buried somewhere in these forums and if someone can just point me to it/them that will be great. In any case I am delighted that work on winamp has resumed. Here is my question.

I had winamp on my computer 15 years or more ago and have been using it ever since. About 10 years ago I got an ipod classic and I have been using winamp to maintain that ever since. When those were discontinued I got a backup. I may need to use the back up now and I have just activated it for the first time.

For the past year or more I've been using winamp 5666, I believe, and it has been very reliable--no crashes. It has now recognized the new ipod and transferred one playlist worth of songs. However, it could do a better job.

Here's the problem: nearly all my music is in playlists on winamp referring to songs on my computer hard drive. You can right click one of those playlists and then say, "Send to ipod." It sends the songs to the ipod--but it doesn't recreate the new playlist. What this means is that to have playlists on the ipod I'll have to what I did before: create each playlist on the ipod separately and move the music into it. No problem for two or three, but 100 is another matter.

Questions:

1. Am I missing something?

2. Is anyone managing ipods with the new version of Winamp?

3. Should I download the new version or stick with the old which at least does do what I need, albeit clumsily?

Thanks in advance.

Listener
KaiserD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 00:59   #2
musicf8
Major Dude
 
musicf8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 831
I would say stick with the old one... I am only saying that because i'm stuck on 5.63 because I use ml_ipod with my 120gb ipod classic, and it works just fine. It's like the whole "if it ain't broke..."

Get wacup
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 12:39   #3
KaiserD2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
I would say stick with the old one... I am only saying that because i'm stuck on 5.63 because I use ml_ipod with my 120gb ipod classic, and it works just fine. It's like the whole "if it ain't broke..."
Thanks. But can you move a whole playlist from your computer to the ipod? Not just the songs, but the list itself? And how do you do it? As I mentioned, sending a playlist from my winamp library to the ipod doesn't create a playlist on the ipod.

Listener
KaiserD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 15:23   #4
musicf8
Major Dude
 
musicf8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 831
If i remember correctly on pmp_ipod, if your settings are set up to sync playlists, then click on the ipod when its connected and click sync. I remember it being the same process as ml_ipod. Thats how I sync my playlists (well smart playlists, because I remember pmp_ipod/stock ipod plugin doesn't really sync smart playlists)

Get wacup
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 13:30   #5
KaiserD2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 44
this sounds promising. I confirmed that pmp_ipod is on my computer. Under winamp (without the ipod connected at the moment), I found a section on ipod support in options/preferences but I didn't see anything about syncing playlists. Is there somewhere else to look? Thanks.

David Kaiser




Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
If i remember correctly on pmp_ipod, if your settings are set up to sync playlists, then click on the ipod when its connected and click sync. I remember it being the same process as ml_ipod. Thats how I sync my playlists (well smart playlists, because I remember pmp_ipod/stock ipod plugin doesn't really sync smart playlists)

Listener
KaiserD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 14:00   #6
musicf8
Major Dude
 
musicf8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 831
hm interesting. I know that pmp_ipod can't sync "smart playlists" but it can sync regular playlists. Hopefully someone who has pmp_ipod can chime in, because as I mentioned I have ml_ipod installed which has different options.

Get wacup
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 18:31   #7
KaiserD2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 44
Two questions:

1. What is a "smart playlist"?

2. It seems ml_ipod is on my computer as well, as well as pmp_ipod. I don't know how to check whether either/both is fully installed and running, any ideas?

David K


Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
hm interesting. I know that pmp_ipod can't sync "smart playlists" but it can sync regular playlists. Hopefully someone who has pmp_ipod can chime in, because as I mentioned I have ml_ipod installed which has different options.

Listener
KaiserD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 19:56   #8
musicf8
Major Dude
 
musicf8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 831
1. Smart playlists are basically your "views" in your winamp library. They are not listed under playlists but listed under 'local media' and usuallly have a criteria for music vs manually adding music to a playlist.

2. You either have to run ml_ipod or pmp_ipod. you can't run both since they conflict. if you have ml_ipod and you upgraded, then im guessing you accidentally installed pmp_ipod and it's now dominate. You might have been looking for the ml_ipod options. Try deleting pmp_ipod to see if that helps, though from personal experience, anything above winamp 5.64 crashes with ml_ipod (and 5.64 is just buggy as hell), so that;s why i'm stuck on 5.63

Get wacup
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 15:38   #9
KaiserD2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 44
OK. Winamp has an option to create a new smart playlist on my ipod when it's hooked up, and I just created one. But is there a way to turn an existing playlist in my winamp library into a smart playlist? And in your reply below were you talking about the "smart view" that is accessible by right clicking the winamp library? Thanks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
1. Smart playlists are basically your "views" in your winamp library. They are not listed under playlists but listed under 'local media' and usuallly have a criteria for music vs manually adding music to a playlist.

2. You either have to run ml_ipod or pmp_ipod. you can't run both since they conflict. if you have ml_ipod and you upgraded, then im guessing you accidentally installed pmp_ipod and it's now dominate. You might have been looking for the ml_ipod options. Try deleting pmp_ipod to see if that helps, though from personal experience, anything above winamp 5.64 crashes with ml_ipod (and 5.64 is just buggy as hell), so that;s why i'm stuck on 5.63

Listener
KaiserD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 19:43   #10
musicf8
Major Dude
 
musicf8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 831
In ml_ipod there is an option to sync smart views (see the attached image). As for pmp_ipod, I don't think so because pmp_ipod doesnt support smartviews. I believe pmp_ipod should be able to just sync regular playlists, but I dont have it installed so I can't help there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	52600  

Get wacup
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump