Old 13th March 2002, 15:09   #1
dgw2002

Vinyl to Digital

Vinyl to Digital

I am wondering if anybody can give me some relatively specific direction on how to get some stuff from my albums to mp3 format. What plugins should I use? Is there a better way to connect my stereo to my computer other than line-in?

Thanks ya'll!
dgw2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2002, 15:26   #2
PabUK
Major Dude

I just use the line-in on the soundcard and CDex to do it. It has a "Record from analog in" option that you can use to record to a WAV file which can then be easily encoded into an MP3.

In support of aggressive sex with llamas, and freedom from the obligation to explain.
Pawhosting.com | Pawsoft.com | Pawdesign.com | PabUK.com
PabUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2002, 16:19   #3
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to ReDVsion Send a message via AIM to ReDVsion Send a message via Yahoo to ReDVsion
If you want to do it without any click-pop removal then PabUK's got the right idea. If you do want to clean them up some I suggest you start looking around the warez sites for Cool Edit Pro which does wonders for vinyl. And unless you have a fancy-shmancy soundcard, line in's your best option.

?
ReDVsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2002, 16:43   #4
KelseyB
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to KelseyB Send a message via AIM to KelseyB Send a message via Yahoo to KelseyB
yes, there is a better method than your line-in, but it REALLY isnt all that cheap. you could get a turntable that has optical/digital outputs, and a soundcard with optical/digital inputs. then get an editing program that removes pops and hiss, but youre also going to have to get into the sound file itself and edit it manually, but if youre going to convert it to mp3, then there really isnt a point taking it as far as going into the file- the automatic pop and hiss removers/filters should do ya fine.
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2002, 16:44   #5
Vica
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Vica Send a message via AIM to Vica Send a message via Yahoo to Vica
I think even Music Match has line-in support, and a line-in recorder that records directly to mp3 format......if you don't mine the bloatware and the registration notices.

Skins/Coding: D-Shock, Nebular, Triton [/size]
Vica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2002, 16:54   #6
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
You'll need Jasper Gronde's Line/Mic Input Plugin, which can be downloaded here:
http://home.hccnet.nl/th.v.d.gronde/dev/index.html

You can use the default CD/Line Input plug-in, but this allows you to play for a certain period of time and set

the samplerate, bps and stereo or mono.

Winamp 2.78 by default includes the Nullsoft DiskWriter plugin v2.0c, which allows you to write either wav or

mp3 files.

Once you've installed the 2 plug-ins, do the following:

1. Connect your audio source device to your soundcard's line-in input socket.

2. In Winamp, go to OPTIONS -> PREFERENCES -> PLUGINS -> OUTPUT, and select the Nullsoft DiskWriter Plug-in.

3. Click "Configure" to set the output directory into which the wav files will be written. Here is also where

you set the type of file you want created. If you want wav then leave it as it is, however if you want to create

mp3s, check the "convert to format" box, and select "MPEG Layer 3" from the list.

4. Click OK and close down the window.

5. From the main Winamp File Menu, select "Play -> Location" and type line:// in the URL box (if you are using

Jasper Gronde's Line/Mic Input Plugin), or linein:// if you are using the default linein plugin.

6. When you click OK the timer starts counting, so start your input source playing, in your case, the track on

the disc...

7. When the input track is finished, click on "Stop" and the new MP3 or WAV will have been created in your

specified folder. Stop the turntable.

8. Open the specified folder and rename the new file with an appropriate name, usually the title of the song

that you recorded. By default, the song will have been named according to the way the linein plugin was set up,

e.g. "1.Line-in_srate=22,bitrate=16.mp3

9. Repeat steps 5-8 for each new track.

When you've finished all of your recording, change the output plugin back to back to the Nullsoft WaveOut

plugin. Then you can listen to the wav or mp3 files that you just created.

To Create an Audio CD
Once you are happy with the wav files, you can create a music CD from them. Open up your burning software,

usually Adaptec Easy CD creator or Nero, and follow the instructions to create a music CD. Then drag the wav

files onto the CD and start burning. If you do it right then you should have a CD that is a replica of the disc

that you started with.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2002, 17:03   #7
ujay
Forum King

A lot depends on the condition of your records.
If they are anything like mine (anything up to 40 years old) then you might want to do some pre mastering and click removal before you re record.

I generally use 'WaveLab' for this sort of thing, it does just about everything a boy could wish for.

'DC Art 32' is also very good.

Most CD ripping programs also have some sort of analogue recording capabilities

EAC
CDex
Nero
Feurio
WinOnCD

to name a few. Some will record direct to Mp3, and some have built in click removal.

If your records are in reasonable condition then stick with CDex as suggested by PabUK. It's quick and easy without needing to take a crash course in audio engineering.

Use the shortest cable you can between turntable and the line in on your sound card, and don't forget to clean the record and the needle before you start.

Good Luck.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2002, 17:22   #8
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to ReDVsion Send a message via AIM to ReDVsion Send a message via Yahoo to ReDVsion
Yup, wavelab is good shit, too. I think ethan_h did the best in concern to sticking with winamp, although that's just a wee bit complicated, eh?

KelseyB: you're kidding, right? digital outs on a turntable? 1. what's the point, and 2. where can I get one?

[edit] OK, found some. Pricey, yes, but I'm still missing the overall benefit. Granted, digital IS better quality than analog, but considering the source is analog, what the hell's the point?

?
ReDVsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2002, 17:25   #9
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Quote:
Originally posted by ReDVsion
KelseyB: you're kidding, right? digital outs on a turntable? 1. what's the point, and 2. where can I get one?
Actually, it's quite possible, although I've never seen one. I can imagine that very high-end decks would have a digital out, albeit they'd have to have their own A-D converter built in, as vinyl is an analog format.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions