Old 9th August 2002, 12:13   #1
netnomad

Play in Winamp and Enqueue in Winamp Shell Extensions

I've seen this topic MENTIONED in the discussion threads, but never really answered.

I had 2.8 and installed 3.0. The "Play in Winamp" and "Enqueue in Winamp" options were still in the right-click menu, but when I used them, it loaded 2.8. So I uninstalled 2.8 and they were gone completely. So I un-installed 3.0 and re-installed 3.0 and they're still gone.

I hate messing with playlists. That was a REALLY HANDY FEATURE to just point to a folder with mp3's in it and say "GO!" without having to assemble a playlist.

How do I get it back?
Old 9th August 2002, 12:18   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

did you register file types with winamp3?

preferences (ctrl+p)---> media ---> select all

now restart winamp3
Old 11th August 2002, 02:45   #3
DrNo

I think he's talking about Folder context menus. The distint lack of them is the only thing preventing me from upgrading. Put 'em back! (or give me a hack
Old 11th August 2002, 11:07   #4
mollw

folder right-click context menu

couldn't agree more... this is the way I play most songs and it DOESN'T WORK...

hmmm...

may have to try sonique...

m
Old 12th August 2002, 05:18   #5
bootstrap

Send a message via Yahoo to bootstrap
You can add your own shell extensions if you're feeling skilled. I've done it in both Win98SE and WinXP and its pretty easy.

First, you'll have to set Winamp3 not to "Register types on Winamp start" before you do this(its under Options->Preferences->System->Media), so that your changes are not undone the next time you run winamp.

The changes you'll need to make in explorer (My Computer or whatever) are under "Tools" -> "Options...". Click the "Files types" tab and depending on which version of windows you're running it may be a little different to what I describe. It's pretty straightforward though.

The top area will show the "Registered file types" and by clicking the one you want to change, you will be able to change the properties of each file type. Once you've selected the file type you want to add the shell extensions to, click the "Advanced" button.

In the "Actions" area is the list of the shell extensions that will be shown on right-click. You'll want to click "New.." to create a new extension. The box that pops up has two fields. The top is the name of the extension, the second is where the program call and arguments are listed. That's just a fancy way of saying "use this program and do this to the files I've selected".

You'll want to add two new shell extensions, one at a time. Fill in each field with EVERYTHINGverything
Old 12th August 2002, 05:29   #6
bootstrap

You can add your own shell extensions if you're feeling skilled. I've done it in both Win98SE and WinXP and its pretty easy.

First, you'll have to set Winamp3 not to "Register types on Winamp start" before you do this(its under Options->Preferences->System->Media), so that your changes are not undone the next time you run winamp.

The changes you'll need to make in explorer (My Computer or whatever) are under "Tools" -> "Options...". Click the "Files types" tab and depending on which version of windows you're running it may be a little different to what I describe. It's pretty straightforward though.

The top area will show the "Registered file types" and by clicking the one you want to change, you will be able to change the properties of each file type. Once you've selected the file type you want to add the shell extensions to, click the "Advanced" button.

In the "Actions" area is the list of the shell extensions that will be shown on right-click. You'll want to click "New.." to create a new extension. The box that pops up has two fields. The top is the name of the extension, the second is where the program call and arguments are listed. That's just a fancy way of saying "use this program and do this to the files I've selected".

You'll want to add two new shell extensions, one at a time. When you've added the stuff into BOTH fields, click OK. Fill in each field with EVERYTHING I put inside two braces e.g. {thisstuff} would mean the contents of the field would be: thisstuff

Okay? Right. The two fields for the first extension are as follows:
Action: {Play in &Winamp}
Application...: {"C:\Program Files\Winamp3\Studio.exe" "%1"}

And the second extension:
Action: {&Enqueue in Winamp}
Application...: {"C:\Program Files\Winamp3\Studio.exe" /ADD "%1"}

Now all you have to do is select what will be the default action. While you're here, you could change in file icon cos the current one's a tad boring.

I've made a few assumptions with my message, if you need anything cleared up, just reply here and I'll try my best to help.
Old 14th August 2002, 12:00   #7
Cojo

doesent work

When i try the Play in Winamp hack bootstrap writes about it only adds the folder to the playlist and not the content of the folder. Any other sugestions?
Old 15th August 2002, 21:27   #8
damnlimey

Send a message via ICQ to damnlimey Send a message via AIM to damnlimey
This would be easy if there was some documentation! Specifically, the command line param's to add a directory would be nice.

I was really disappointed to find the shell extensions missing too but I've worked around it with the sendto menu and a perl script It's certainly not ideal but I really don't like messing with playlists either.

DL
Old 20th August 2002, 03:42   #9
bootstrap

Sorry guys, but I can't find a way to enqueue or play the contents of a folder. I think the function's not built into studio.exe yet. I tried a few things trying to get it to work, but now I've broken windows! Anyone know the extension for the "open" command. I'm talking about the standard double-click-the-folder "open". I found that {%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /idlist,%I,%L} works, but it opens the folder in a new window, not the current one which isn't the way I like it. Oh well, guess I'll have to learn use it this way.
Old 20th August 2002, 15:43   #10
damnlimey

You might be able to get windows to change it back for you. Under Tools->Folder Options, you can set it up to "Open each folder in it's own window". That might fix it.
Old 20th August 2002, 16:27   #11
Oni-Dracula

Works for me, make sure you have your files associated with Winamp3 and not winamp2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot2.jpg (95.8 KB, 262 views)
Old 20th August 2002, 19:22   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hi

JSO
Yes, it works ok for filetypes/extensions, but it's folders we're dealing with here, as in "dir context menus".

bootstrap
Sounds like you've been trying to edit "Folder" instead of "File Folder".
Dir context menus are created in the "File Folder" entry (hkcr\directory) not the "Folder" entry (hkcr\folder).
The "Folder" key should just contain the Open & Explore commands
(though some programs, eg. PaintShopPro might also contain a "browse" entry there).
DamnLimey's suggestion should fix the problem for you
(depending on your OS: Folder Options -> View tab -> uncheck: "launch folder windows in a separate process", or uncheck: "open each folder in a new window").
If you still have problems, then it'll be your EditFlags in the registry which are screwed up. Let me know if you need the keys/strings.

From what I can gather, WA3 doesn't support dir context menus just yet.
I've tried adding actions/commands to:
Folder Options -> N/A | File Folder
and also directly via the registry @ hkey_classes_root\directory
but like Cojo says, all it does it create a single entry in the wa3 playlist, listing the name of the folder only.
This furthermore suggests that support for dir context menus hasn't been implemented yet. I'm sure there'd be a checkmark in Prefs -> Media if this feature was supported, in the same way as there is in WA2 Prefs -> Filetypes.
The main problem the developers are going to find is working out how to prevent a conflict of interests between WA2 and WA3 (seeing most people use both at the moment).
Both programs use "Play in Winamp" for associations.
This is ok if you have some extensions associated with WA2 and others with WA3, but only one of them can use "Play in Winamp" for Dir Context Menus, they can't both use the same command at the same time.
The workaround would be to use "Play in Winamp3" for wa3 dir context menus,
and I'm pretty certain this will be implemented in a future release.
Old 20th August 2002, 19:55   #13
damnlimey

catch 22. "The main problem the developers are going to find is working out how to prevent a conflict of interests between WA2 and WA3 (seeing most people use both at the moment)" but the users still use WA2 because the developers haven't implemented the dir context menus yet.
Old 20th August 2002, 22:14   #14
Oni-Dracula

Didn't realize we were talking about actual folders O_o

Why not just open the folder and do ctrl+a and right click>enqueue?
It boggles the mind..

p.s.
Call me Oni
Old 20th August 2002, 22:37   #15
damnlimey

convenience is the reason. With the old way you could have your whole music folder tree expanded in windows explorer and you could just right click on the folder to play/enqueue. Your way involves actually navigating through folders and extra keystrokes. Imagine how you'd feel if you had only one arm...
Sometimes it's the simplest features that keep people coming back.
Old 20th August 2002, 23:19   #16
Oni-Dracula

Ahh....

I only want my mp3 player to look hella good and play mp3's without lagging my system down. Winamp3 does that secksy trick with a little jenesequa(sp)
Old 21st August 2002, 01:37   #17
bootstrap

You're spot on DJEgg. I did edit the Folder properites. I wasn't sure which to edit so I tried the first. Unfortunately it didn't work and I didn't want to do more damage so I left it alone. I had tried that "open in new window" thing and it didn't help. I guess because "open" is no longer the default action. So if it's not too much trouble could you post those registry keys etc.

Thanks guys.
Old 21st August 2002, 05:50   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Okay then, I'll attach a zip here containing the reg file.
Just unzip folder.reg and double click it (or, rt click -> merge) to merge into the registry.
Maybe it would be wise to compare the two settings first (use "export" tool, as below), then open both .reg files in Notepad.

If you're using Win2k or XP, then you'll need to edit the paths to shell32.dll and explorer.exe, eg. where C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\ becomes
C:\\WinNT\\System32\\

Basically, this is from a WinME system, so what I suggest is that you backup your current regkey first, just in case.

Start -> Run -> regedit
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder
Registry menu -> export registry file -> checkmark: selected branch.
Save as eg. folder.reg and save it to the desktop (you can always move it elsewhere later, eg. the recycle bin, lol)

If anything goes wrong, double click the backup reg file on your desktop to revert to your current settings.

Heyhey, I'm always thorough when dealing with anything to do with the registry.
Better safe than sorry!

ps. thinking about it, it's more than likely to be your dde commands which are messed up, and not the EditFlags . . . though it could be either/both.

pps. If you're using WinXP, check here
Attached Files
File Type: zip folder.zip (723 Bytes, 174 views)
Old 24th August 2002, 00:49   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

A temporary solution perhaps?
Want your 'play in winamp' for folders back?
Old 24th August 2002, 03:50   #20
Jaz

Send a message via AIM to Jaz Send a message via Yahoo to Jaz
Okay heres something: NOT ALL PEOPLE LIKE THE STUIPID RIGHT CLICK CONTEXT MENUS IN EXPLORE.. (or folders) OR ANY THING ELSE... GET A DAMNED PLAYLIST FOR WHAT YOU WANT AND YOUR DONE... I DON'T PLAY FOLDERS, I PLAY EVERYTHING IN A FEW PLAYLISTS...

not all people like right clickin start and seeing play in winmamp enq... etc... ITS EXPLORE...

besides its bull anyway...

yeah, that works to remove em too...

just my preference...

(and the browse with paint shop pro 7? bullll buh bye)

just posting,

Jaz
Old 24th August 2002, 05:00   #21
bootstrap

Chill bro.

This is a forum, ie a pull medium. If you don't use/care about right click context menus, then don't read this thread. Further to that point, don't FLAME us for discussing it! I mean for crissake, are you bored or something? Everyone else reading this thread either likes right-clicking enough to post about it, or they're helping us out.
Old 24th August 2002, 17:24   #22
constrict
Banned

Send a message via AIM to constrict
Sorry Jaz, you god damn gaywad. I have more than 5,000 mp3's on my machine (you probably have 12) and have my collection really organized. Each album is in its own folder. ect ect.

Play / Enqueue by right clicking a folder(s) is definetly helpful and saves a bit of time.

so go listen to your 'limp bizkit' and stfu.
Old 25th August 2002, 06:53   #23
pjpyenta

Thanks DJEgg for that link!!!

DJEgg -- you the man! The prog in the link in your message worked great! I had been driving myself crazy trying to get the "Play in Winamp" for folders working. Until a new release comes along, I hope everyone finds your message and link.

BTW, yes it does add the files in the order they appear in the folder.

-PJ

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Technical Support