Old 7th September 2014, 21:00   #1
Vintorez91

Moving 'Top rated' to a new install of W7

Hello!

Since Windows 7 is starting to show signs of malfunction, I've decided it's time to reinstall windows. My question is: is it (and if yes, then how?) possible to transfer my 'top rated' playlist? I've already tried saving it as a playlist, but for some reason I wasn't able to open that the last time I reinstalled windows. Perhaps this had something to do with the location of my music, being on a different location after reinstalling.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Vintorez91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 20:53   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

A playlist is just a text file. Easy to edit in notepad to fix the location differences. If all you did was put things on a different drive and otherwise maintained the folder structure, then all you need do is use 'find and replace' to fix the drive letter (e.g. change C:\ to D:\ or whatever).

If the folder changes are more extensive, there is an app (http://listfix.sourceforge.net/) that will search for the filenames and fix the pathnames in playlists. This app requires that the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) 1.6 or higher be installed.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 11:32   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintorez91 View Post
Hello!

Since Windows 7 is starting to show signs of malfunction, I've decided it's time to reinstall windows. My question is: is it (and if yes, then how?) possible to transfer my 'top rated' playlist? I've already tried saving it as a playlist, but for some reason I wasn't able to open that the last time I reinstalled windows. Perhaps this had something to do with the location of my music, being on a different location after reinstalling.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
do you mean the default smartview of "Top Rated" in the nav tree on the far left or do u mean an actual playlist called top rated?

I save ratings to tags, so the nav tree one would work wherever I move files or whatever winamp install I use. the backup tool might also work for you.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 16:55   #4
Vintorez91

The default 'top rated' where all 3+ stars track go. How does this work with tags and backups?
Vintorez91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 17:25   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

In the media library database a unique record is created for a file that is associated with the file's location. If the file's location changes, then Winamp looks at the file as if it's a different file (a duplicate, so to speak) and creates another unique record. When a rating is saved in the library database, it is added to a unique file's record. That record becomes disassociated from the file it was created for if that file is not in the same location (the file it was created for is considered missing).

When a file's rating is saved within the file like other metadata (tags) is, then the rating stays with the file whatever location it is moved to. So when you create a new library database (after a Winamp installation someplace else with files in different locations) the 'top rated' view will read the ratings from the files and show the same files as listed in the old installation.

Some file formats do not support tags, so adding a rating to such a file's library record is the only way to associate it to the file. For file formats that support tags, it is possible to add a rating to the file and to it's library record, but it would only make sense to do so if the file's location is not going to be changed.

The Winamp Backup Tool is best used to transfer an installation to another computer when everything is going to be kept in the same locations (drives and folders) on the other computer. It can also be used to copy and transfer things that are not location dependent.

Old 11th September 2014, 19:25   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
For file formats that support tags, it is possible to add a rating to the file and to it's library record, but it would only make sense to do so if the file's location is not going to be changed.
based on what? it makes sense to add ratings to files for many reasons, not only if the files location were to change. winamp can crash at any time, and backups, which most users rarely make to begin with, are not going to be "real time" even in the best of circumstances. and if one uses their files in multiple locations, the rating persists, which can be very desirable.

in fact, in this case, the OP has said he plan to reinstall windows, which means a new winamp install. he also indicates that he lost ratings last time as well, and that differing locations might have been a factor then too.

there is no question in my mind, that he would be best served by saving ratings to files.

--
Old 11th September 2014, 19:31   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintorez91 View Post
The default 'top rated' where all 3+ stars track go. How does this work with tags and backups?
first, there is a 3rd party utility called the backup tool by Koopa. you should probably check it out and make a backup just in case b4 you do anything else. it might also be useful to transfer your existing setup to a new computer / windows install, although my advice to you would be to NOT attempt that UNLESS you find yourself missing something you previously had/want back that u can't get any other way.

but my advice to you is to save ratings in the metadata tag of your files, (assuming your files support tags/ratings. most do, like mp3, m4a, FLAC, ALAC, and so on)

to do so, you need to be running the latest winamp w/patches and turn on the pref that saves ratings to tags. then AFTER that pref is turned on, sort ALL your music by the ratings column, and highlight all tracks SHARING the same rating, and "re-rate" them. use a shift+left click to highlight all 5 star tracks, then re-rate 5 stars, then highlight all 4 star track, re-rate and so on.

--
Old 11th September 2014, 19:39   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
based on what? ...
Maybe my comment wasn't clear. I mean it would not make sense to save ratings in both the file and the file's library record, if the file's location is going to change.

For those who use ratings, I agreed it is best to only save the rating in the file, whenever possible.

Old 11th September 2014, 20:27   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Maybe my comment wasn't clear. I mean it would not make sense to save ratings in both the file and the file's library record, if the file's location is going to change.

For those who use ratings, I agreed it is best to only save the rating in the file, whenever possible.
so we agree that ratings should be saved to files whenever possible? I thought u were one of the "ratings are too subjective to be in tags" people... guess not.

but I don't understand your other comment. the files library record would only reflect the rating in the tag, IF one was in the tag. its not a separate rating really, in that case, but just a mirror of the metadata in the file. nor do I understand why it matters if the file moves or not?

--
Old 11th September 2014, 20:42   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
but I don't understand your other comment. the files library record would only reflect the rating in the tag, IF one was in the tag. its not a separate rating really, in that case, but just a mirror of the metadata in the file. nor do I understand why it matters if the file moves or not?
Reread post #5 above. It is possible to associate a rating with a file's library record when there is no rating in the file itself. In that case what I said in that post applies (from what I understand about how Winamp works).

I personally have no use for ratings, for reasons I've already stated before on more than one occasion. But I understand and respect that others have reasons for using them.

Old 11th September 2014, 20:44   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Reread post #5 above. It is possible to associate a rating with a file's library record when there is no rating in the file itself. In that case what I said in that post applies (from what I understand about how Winamp works).
I am fully aware of that, have been for years. but can you expound on what you said in post 8, b/c your meaning is not clear to me?

--
Old 11th September 2014, 20:49   #12
Aminifu
Forum King

The unique record associated with the file whose location has changed would turn into a missing file record. Just wasting space in the database unless it is deleted.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support