Old 15th September 2010, 20:33   #1
CluelessInSeatl

How to transfer playlist to another computer?

I've got a WinAmp playlist on my Windows PC, and I'd like to be able to play it on my laptop.

I have identical music folders on the two computers, but, the filepath to the folders is not the same on both machines.

I somehow managed to copy the playlist from the PC to the laptop, but don't recall how I did that, and can't figure out where the playlist is stored on the laptop. However, when I click Play>Playlist from Media Library>[Playlist Name], the playlist opens up in the WinAmp Playlist window. None of the songs play though, because WinAmp is looking for the files using the PC filepath which, of course, doesn't work on the laptop.

I figured out how to look at the "Edit playlist entry" dialogue box, and see where the correct path can be entered in the "New" field. That would require my having to manually change the path for each song on the playlist one by one.

I'm trying to figure out how to do a global filepath change for all the songs on the playlist in a single operation.

Can someone help me with this?
Old 16th September 2010, 01:53   #2
fc*uk

No, new members are not moderated. It just might take a bit to get an answer.

Open your pls file in a very basic work editing program. Do a find and replace. You want to find the old path, and you want to replace it with the new path.

Once corrected, save the file as a .pls file.
Old 16th September 2010, 03:02   #3
CluelessInSeatl

Many thanks, fc*uk! That did the trick!

What tripped me up was that I was looking for an M3U file.

After reading your reply I searched my laptop for a PLS file, but was unable to find one.

So I exported the playlist from WinAmp to an M3U file, did a search-and-replace to correct the filepath, imported it back into WinAmp and Voilà! I'm now listening to my playlist on my laptop!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Now I'm wondering how to keep the playlists synchronized between computers, because I just made some changes in the playlist song order on the laptop. Should I export the laptop playlist from WinAmp to an M3U file, copy it to the PC, and then import it into the PC Winamp?

Will in Seattle

P.S. My first attempt at posting my query seems to have vanished into the electronic ether. But my second attempt the following dayappeared as soon as I posted it.
Old 16th September 2010, 03:24   #4
fc*uk

The best way to keep playlists in sync between two computers is going to be keep the paths the same. That way all you need to do is copy the music over to the folder and drop the playlists where ever you want them.

I would use something really simply like c:\music for your basic path. You could easily make that on both computers so that the playlist files generated on either would be identical.

The next best from creating exactly the same path on each would be the answer I gave above.

The absolute worst would be to recreate playlists on each computer as needed.

Glad to be able to help you out. There is some auto moderation that is done here, which might explain where your threads went is the server thought it was spam. However, this would be the first reported case of that I am aware of. Most likely, your original post got caught in the crossfire of real spam and we accidentally trashed the wrong thread. Our apologies for that if it does/did happen; we try to be careful and avoid that, but mistakes can happen.

The best bet is to do what you did. If it's an honest post and you see it vanish, post it again.
Old 12th November 2011, 20:03   #5
tru7h

Ipod Playlist

Is there a similar method if the playlist is on an ipod?

I ask because I have my music archive that well exceeds the capacity of my 30Gig music player and I have several long playlists that I would prefer not rebuild by hand. If there is a way to copy the playlists from the ipod and not duplicate the files I would like to know.

Thanks ahead
Old 12th November 2011, 20:09   #6
fc*uk

If you sync with iTunes, will it copy the playlist into iTunes?
Old 14th November 2011, 19:32   #7
tru7h

I'm not synced with iTunes I dropped that program years ago. I just recently discovered winamp.
Old 14th November 2011, 19:38   #8
fc*uk

Yeah ... so if you use iTunes it would sync the playlists back. But, you can't do that athis point because iTunes is not aware of your device. If you try to sync now iTunes will wipe it.

At the point that you are at, the iPhone/Touch/whatever does store playlist files on it. However, to be able to get them and pull them out you would need to have a jailbroken device along with the ifile app. At this end, you are better off rebuilding by hand.
Old 14th November 2011, 20:59   #9
tru7h

thanks anyway

Well thats what I've come to. It is at least reassuring to hear that from someone who demonstrates knowledge of the problem.

Can you see future development from winamp that might eventually mitigate this difficulty?
Old 15th November 2011, 01:02   #10
fc*uk

I honestly do not know how actively that plugin is being developed.

Do you know what the chances are that this problem would eventually get sorted are DrO?
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support