Old 26th January 2015, 08:13   #1
FurryShep

All Album art in the album art view is the same now.

Winamp Version 5.623 Pro

(I should probably say NSFW, but it's probably too small to see...)

Please help...
FurryShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 09:19   #2
FurryShep

A reinstall fixed the problem, but if anyone has any thoughts of what might have caused it, please share.
Old 26th January 2015, 09:51   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi FurryShep,

I assume you are using folder artwork files and not embedded images. Maybe you are a victim of Windows being 'helpful'. It sometimes creates hidden artwork in folders that have the same name as the artwork Winamp looks for.

Go to the "Tools" menu in Windows Explorer and select "Folder options ...". Select the "View" tab and enable the "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" option and disable the "Hide protected operating system files" option. Click "Yes" on the warning message and on the "OK" button to close the dialog window, then look in your music folders to see if the recurring image file is there (and any others that should not be there). Delete all the artwork files except for the 1 that should be there. It may have been overwritten, if so you will need to replace it. Make a copy of the correct image named "backupart" (or something like that) so that repairs will be quicker when Windows does this again. After making repairs, return to the folder options dialog and put those 2 options back to what they were.

To get official help (if my suggestion doesn't work), you need to upgrade to the current Winamp version and install it's recommended patches.

Edit:
Good, it seems that my suggestion was not needed. Maybe there is a bug in the version you are using.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 12:00   #4
FurryShep

There was only a single hidden "folder.jpg", I don't think that was the problem though.
Old 26th January 2015, 18:50   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

It wasn't if the hidden "folder.jpg" was not the image you were seeing. But the fact that Windows seemingly randomly adds image files to folders is something to keep in mind for when your Winamp artwork starts acting strange.

Winamp looks for embedded images first, but I think "folder.jpg" is the 1st external image file name it looks for in an album folder. The look-up rules are posted, but I don't remember which sub-forum they are in (probably more than 1).

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 26th January 2015, 22:48   #6
FurryShep

OMFG! After a fresh install and update to the latest version, patches and everything, IT'S DOING IT AGAIN.

Someone help me!

Theres no hidden images or anything, I am very organized with my music.

I do have a hell of a lot of music which might be the cause. (Nearly 130 Gigabytes)

Maybe it's a corrupted winamp file somewhere.
Old 26th January 2015, 22:55   #7
DrO

when Winamp is completely closed, zip up your Winamp settings folder (or use the backup tool to do it -> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317153) and email it to [insert my user name] at winamp.com as this is a long standing issue for some users over the years and hopefully your settings folder may give a clue to the cause (though providing a fix any time soon is probably unlikely and you might just need to work with non-album art views depending on what the settings folder indicates is the cause).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 23:15   #8
FurryShep

Could you be more specific as to which folder this is? And is it in program files or app data?

Also I was able to fix it again by deleting C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\art

Edit: Nvm just gonna use the backup tool
Old 26th January 2015, 23:40   #9
DrO

what you send through needs to be showing the issue. cleared / reset files are not going to be of much help to me i.e. i'd need a version prior to deleting the art cache folder.
Old 27th January 2015, 00:04   #10
FurryShep

Eh... I'm sorry but I do not have a backup of before the fix. Do you want the old art.idx and art.dat files?

Also I got a delivery error notification on your email address, did you type it right?
Old 27th January 2015, 03:57   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
could you explain how you store your files? is it one album per folder?

have you tried using mp3tag to see what art it sees?

I would guess you have many files in one folder, and there is a hidden / system file in there you aren't seeing that winamp is.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 04:17   #12
DrO

FurryShep: i got one email from you (so you got the address right) with just the contents of the art folder (was hoping for the full settings back from the backup tool so I can then run in the same query view and against the same database details).

however, with what is provided, it's a failure of the file format used to store the artwork due to a lot of images trying to be stored inside of it i.e. your library is too big for the artwork db handling to cope with and nothing to do with the format of your files or how the artwork is setup on the hard drive or the number of files in the same folder.

it's purely a Winamp failure and one that'll probably be a pain to get properly fixed. the only work around is to not display artwork within your library setup for the time being (using the buttons at the top-left of the library view to toggle things as needed).
Old 27th January 2015, 04:36   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it's a failure of the file format used to store the artwork due to a lot of images trying to be stored inside of it i.e. your library is too big for the artwork db handling to cope with and nothing to do with the format of your files or how the artwork is setup on the hard drive or the number of files in the same folder.
what file format[s] suffer this issue? how does one reproduce the issue? what variables cause it? confused by the above, esp since I have many more files and GBs and don't have this happen to me.

--
Old 27th January 2015, 04:52   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
... this is a long standing issue for some users over the years ...
Has the approximate number of images needed to trigger this problem been determined? The size of a collection (in gigabytes) does not provide a good way to determine the number of images since files sizes vary so much.

I embed images in each of my files and often have more than 1 image for an album's worth of songs. I have not yet determined the exact number of unique images I'm using, but I'm concerned that I may be approaching the danger point.

Old 27th January 2015, 15:01   #15
DrO

it depends on the size and quality of the images so there's no hard-set limit before it happens. as it's all down to the images being stored within the Winamp db format, nothing related to the files that the images come from or the image of the formats (though larger images can make the issue happen quicker). plus it's inconsistent in what then leads to the failure.

basically what the artwork is stored in is not suitable for purpose with large libraries / the change to larger artwork images.

so its more luck of the draw if the issue is seen or not. with the only workarounds being to clear the cache &/or don't show artwork in the library views. plus i don't think the cache is generally used as it was intended anyway which exacerbates the issue (as it never seems to be properly used from my tests).

as such, the art cache as-is needs to be replaced with a better solution that a) can scale and b) doesn't suck. plus there's a valid case that the cache isn't really needed anymore either (at least not in its current manner) and the easier solution might just be to drop it and pull from the files directly, but that's all theoretical as i won't be looking at the issue any time soon.
Old 27th January 2015, 15:15   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King

that's interesting. I would like to know more about how many artworks Furry has and how big they are, i.e. resolution and filesize, as well as the other Qs I asked earlier. something about him is causing the issue for him pretty consistently, and I have yet to see it (thankfully).

I can totally believe the winamp artwork db is substandard, but what doesn't make sense to me is why it would then use the same art for everything? it seems like a strange way for it to fail.

the cache does kinda work for me. I would hate to lose the cache altogether, b/c winamp doesn't always have ondemand access to the files, and therefore the artwork views would be unpleasant without it. my issue with the cache is that its random, in that some art isn't there when the source files aren't there, but that's usually the exception.

--
Old 27th January 2015, 15:35   #17
DrO

because it's buggy and buggy things to weird stuff. that's all that will be said on the matter as there's nothing else to do other than the suggestions made until if / when there is a replacement solution for doing things.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support