Old 16th February 2014, 15:30   #1
uktony

Meta Data in stream?

I have just set up a new VPS Linux Server running CentOS 5.10. I have installed 2 Shoustcast v1 servers on it.

The Audio is working fine. The Station name and URL are getting there.

But the Artist/Title meta data is not. If I switch the stream to another of my servers, all is ok. Switch back to my new VPS and the meta data stops again.

I thought the meta data was encapsulated in the audio stream data, but this seems not to be the case. My automation package also allows me to use http transfer to send the data to the shoutcast and that fails with a 401 error.

I have switched a perfectly working stream from another source server to point at my new server and that fails. So I think there is some error with the setup of the VPS. The sc_serv file is the same I use everywhere. The sc_serve.conf file is the same file I use elsewhere, but with the port and password changed. So I think the shoutcast is installed correctly.

WHERE do I look in the VPS set-up to find what is stopping the meta data getting through?

I have other servers running CentOS 5.10 but they all started out as 5.8 and have been updated/patched to reach 5.10. This is my first 5.10 image from a provider.

The firewall is turned off, according to webmin.

How is the meta data transported?

Thanks
Tony
uktony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 16:40   #2
DrO

you have to check the DNAS's logs to see if it's throwing errors on the title updates (note: the DNAS version you're using doesn't allow for much detailed debugging of connection issues as you're having and would be easier to debug with a v2.2.x DNAS).

however, you mention you've changed the password, have you updated _everything_ which has to connect to the DNAS to use the new password?

as you're using a v1 DNAS, title updates are sent via the 'updinfo' url (it's v2 DNAS and v2 sources which send title updates in-stream) though all clients receive the title updates in-stream (which is probably where the confusion is coming from).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 02:56   #3
uktony

I have solved my meta Data problem. But you would not believe the cause/solution.

Swara Indonesia is a station with just Indonesian music. What do I know about Indonesia? Well the Capital is Jakarta. Let’s use that as the password but make it secure’ish so make it J@K@RT@.

This is the problem. I would say sc_serv does not like @ at the end of the password or @ in the string.

Change the password to all alpha/numeric and it all works.

PLEASE put this in your customer support memory.

I have changed the password to one, not quite so special and now we have meta data on swara.applesources.net:8600 and 8700.

So the symptoms are that the audio gets there with almost any password, but the meta data does not get there, check the structure of the password.
uktony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 11:31   #4
DrO

non-alphanumeric characters in the passwords have been known to have issues in the past and more so with v1 DNAS (as you're using) as the title update is done by a web url to the DNAS and so is subject to the source correctly url encoding it and the DNAS correct url decoding the string.

as it's done against a v1.x DNAS, there's nothing that can be done to allow such character handling. the most i can do is log it to be re-checked in the v2.x DNAS and if needed provide an updated build (when new releases are able to be provided again).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Tags
centos, meta data, vps